We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• lisakay_2
    Options
    You know, it took me a while here to work out that you weren't actually planting things just on the shower curtain. I was trying to figure out how that would work! Too early in the morning yet, clearly!:rotfl:

:rotfl:I and the squids are very messy, at everything. The shower curtain was supposed to protect the carpet, but I still ended up spending half an hour cleaning compost up after we'd finished:eek:. happy with what we got done though.

Having a full day down my little lotty tomorrow. I'm so excited. Please all keep your fingers crossed that the weather stays dry. we're having a bonfire and bbq.
    My friend is moving out of a huge house which she shared with her mum (they're selling up) so she has lots of stuff to burn and i still have plenty to turn to ash too:). hopefully there will be a big pile of ash at the end to dress all my fruit bushes with.

She's said she wants to spend time on the lotty with me and help out too, which is nice as I've been used to doing it all on my own. She's been on a couple of times now and it's good to have some company for a change.

I think I'll join in on the virtual carrot comp. found a pack of flyaway in my tin, so I'll sow a few over the weekend:cool:. have fun this weekend everyone xx
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • tyadog
    tyadog Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2013 at 12:02AM
    Options
    Hello again :wave:
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    mbe your garden is beautiful :eek:
    tyadog i think chilli are quite easy, i had loads from some generic wilkos variety last year. i grew them on window sils (inc one which had only 1-2 hours of sun a day) and had loads.

Today I'm sowing carrots (f1 & autumn king), parsnip (hollow crown), beetroot (boltardy) and some rainbow swiss chard. I will peg some unwanted insulation over the seeds for a few weeks, unless this is a totally bonkers idea which I need a slap for :o Considering taking a wee next to them to p*ss off the cat that likes doing it's business on the garden...
    Cauliflower (all year round and romanesco) will be going in modules and sweetcorn (dolce) will go in pots. I want to try to use the corn to stake beans, if it doesn't work I have plenty of canes. Putting some "rio grande" tomato seeds in pots to grow indoors.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    1. any tips on growing butternut squash? Am keen to give it a go.

2. go Wales!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    1. any tips on growing butternut squash? Am keen to give it a go.

2. go Wales!

1. No, sorry. I've never grown it.
    2. !!!!!! off!

:p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 6:59PM
    Options
    397090_10150602947930345_584970344_9382260_637746865_n.jpg

my friend and my youngest cooking dinner on the firepit. we thought it would be more fun than just a bbq. had a big bonfire as well on plot 12 today, tomorrow i will be shovelling the ashes under the fruit bushes. off for a bath now as we stink:o. may be back on here having a proper read later x

eta; me and my kids are going for a bath, friend will not be joining us as she's not that kind of friend!!!!!!!!! lol. she and her son have been dropped off home to have their own bath.
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mr BE and everyone else.. have been reading through your gardening threads the past few days and got to say that your garden is looking great..

I've recently moved house and have a large garden to [STRIKE]play in[/STRIKE] use productively now so i'll be hanging around picking up all the tips off here.. will be looking at the Grapevine place too :D

I've got my chillis (jalepenos and bulgarian carrot) and my sweet peppers planted - only 6 of each for my first year. And also some mixed salad leaves that i'll be keeping on the kitchen windowsill.

I seem to be a bit behind everyone though as i was waiting for March to start sowing leeks etc.. :o i'll spend some time next weekend i think if i can find some greenhouse glass for the panes i've lost in the windy weather..

Kazla, i'll be in the squash growing club.. i love Butternut squash and i also have summer squash (sunburst) and winter one (acorn table) - i haven't had much success before so fingers crossed.

I know you like piccies, so here's my garden..
    garden.jpg

Veg patch on the right is a bit bigger than it looks (i'm not great with a camera:D) i probably cut half of it off!
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    1. No, sorry. I've never grown it.
    2. !!!!!! off!

:p

I think you should plant one of your beds full of leeks now. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Easy really. Just let them tire themselves out then hit them with a sucker punch. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I think you should plant one of your beds full of leeks now. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Easy really. Just let them tire themselves out then hit them with a sucker punch. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

No complaints here pal. Wales were lucky (albeit good - particularly in defence, and worth the win). We gave them a good old scare, which is more than anyone would have given us at the start.

Still proud and still cheering. Our boys played well. :T :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • lilyjune
    Options
    Hello, I'd like to join this thread too, if you'll have me! :-)
    I'm a very long-time occasional lurker of this particular thread, although I have posted a little on others.

I haven't really grown that much to be honest before, a few tomatoes and salad last year in pots and actually a chilli as well although I've no idea what it was. Actually now that I think about it I had two courgettes in pots last year that were doing quite well until my husband drowned them... think I need better drainage this year :rotfl:
    However, we moved to our new house last summer and it has a decent garden so I'm keen to attempt something a bit more substantial! I'm hoping that by joining you all, it will force me to keep at it and I'm hoping that you won't mind too much if I bombard you with a zillion and one questions! Plus I'm not sure you could consider what I'll be growing dinner, definitely a half decent salad :)

Going to write about my garden in my own thread too as otherwise I'd probably take over yours completly mrbadexample as I can never seem to stop writing!!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure