Job Seekers Allowance has Been Stopped

Options

Comments

• viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    I take it you have a copy of the job applications? Show that at the appeal.
  • tina1969
    tina1969 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    The original copy of the job description is at the job center...my son handed it in as evidence to show what he was applying for...I have phoned and they are going to send it to me so we can use it as evidence in the appeal as this has the original closing date on.....
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    He needs to complete a GL24 available here. http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/gl24.pdf

Download this booklet entitled "If you think our decision is wrong". Write down your reasons on the form at the back and have CAB look at it before you submit it.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    delightful arent you you dont know much about jobseeking it appears.

I've been self employed and I work for agencies. Since I left school 21 years ago, the only times I've been unemployed is when I've wanted to be and when I had to have time off for spinal surgery. I've ALWAYS found work and that's despite living in a seaside resort with mainly seasonal jobs in one of the most deprived counties in the UK. I've found work for my mates when they've wanted it as well.

So for someone in the West Midlands to say they can't find ANY job doing anything after 6 months, I'm sorry but I don't believe them.

Apparently it would seem I know more about job seeking than the OP's son.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    edited 9 April at 2:05PM
    Options
    [quote=[Deleted User];11616377] Your future employer wants to see a consistent work pattern and does not give you brownie points for fruit picking instead of say plumbing.[/quote]

However a prospective employer is going to look far more favourably on a period of temp jobs than 12 months signing on. And as the old adage you've obviously never heard of goes, "it's far easier to find a job if you're already in work."
  • boldaslove
    boldaslove Posts: 323 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    a lot has changed in 21 years. the economy, job market, education system, skills sectors, wages, immigration, benefits etc etc.

to assume everyone has to take the same route as you is very naive. there is a lot of competition for jobs. student, school leavers, foreign workers and people with little qualifications are all pit against each other for the lowest paid jobs such as shop/bar/restaurant work. it's not uncommon for employers to pick young people over more mature so that they pay the least amount of minimum wage. 5+ years experience are demanded for low skilled roles. it often seems employers are deliberately making it difficult for themselves and everyone else by not being open to training new staff.

plus, temping work can be damaging. employers don't take the time to read CVs thoroughly and ask applicants for details, so if they see a load of temp jobs they may just assume the appliant can't hold down a job and will immediately decide against employing them. i know of many people, including myself, who come up against this and it's unfair. it's a one sided game.

your attitude clearly demonstrates how little respect or thought people have towards the unemployed, or temp workers, you are not unique unfortunately, there are so many people out there determined to place obstacles in people's way without stopping to consider how hard, deameaning, disheartening and depressing it is to look for work and get consistently rejected. if i was your kid i'd be ashamed of your attitude. the one thing your posts have achieved for me is gratitude at the support i get from my family and friends, as is the case with the OP and her son too.

also, if i were you i would take some of my own advice and put at least a bit of my own work ethic into practice. it doesn't half make you look silly when you bang on about 'layabouts' and 'scroungers' while spending a considerable amount of the day posting on internet message boards!
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TeaBoy wrote: »
    i'm unemployed too so sympathise with OP's son. Some of us just aren't cut out for working life.
    :beer:

Please tell me you're taking the p!ss
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • staindude
    staindude Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Conor, you sound like me when I've been through my more bitter phases. Do you feel like you've been forced to do things you'd rather not during your life so want to see everyone else go through the same suffering?

Your experience has given you a blinkered view so that you can't see life from anyone elses point of your than your own.
  • TeaBoy_2
    TeaBoy_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    conor- its not that easy for everyone, take me for example, english is not my first language which makes it difficult to start with, plus companies dont provide adequate prayer facilities to cater for my religious practices.
    on top of this me and the wife have 7 children to look after. luckily with all the tax credits and other benefits its easy to get by.

im not really sure i'd be able manage working 55 hours a week, especially if it involved heavy lifting, and working nights would be too unsociable for me.
    What's it going to be, eh?
  • staindude
    staindude Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    TeaBoy wrote: »
    plus companies dont provide adequate prayer facilities to cater for my religious practices.

Do companies actually have to do that? If so then I should be allowed to request a company has a red carpet for me to stand on my head every two hours as part of my religious practices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure