PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 7 April 2016

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 April 2016 at 6:28AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 7 April 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them x

Now getting light, lots of low cloud, looking like a dull, dreich and dreary day ahead, possibly some rain too.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 up and getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit as he’s on school hols.

Dinner last night was pork steaks, roasted new pots, carrots, peas, LO cauli/broc cheese, mash, Yorkshires and gravy, ice cream for dessert for those that wanted some. I remembered to get the chicken out to defrost, tonight we’ll be having Spanish chicken, potato dauphinoise, broc and peas.

Work yesterday was busy doing the job that I was doing but not horrendous, and I was in an office on my own so it just doesn’t feel so pressurized – although the afternoon was just continuous calls. We managed to sort the money out, so all balanced eventually. I’m now on days’ off, I need to organise 2 new front tyres for my car, as it passed MOT last week but front tyres need replacing, will do all the normal chores, have quite a pile of ironing, and also the dirty washing basket is rather full, was hoping to get it line dried but it doesn’t look to promising. I’ll be trying to get the housework done too, as house looking rather like a pit. I have plenty to be going on with so will just potter along and get as much done as possible.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello everyone, it's almost 4pm here and the sun is starting to go down.

Nephew 1 is still out on his road bike nearing the end of a 140 mile ride. Makes me faint at the mere thought. I've had a very welcome day to myself, just pottering about. I went out for a walk, looked in lots of shop windows and wandered through the indoor market. The variety and quality of fruit and vegetables here is simply amazing and looks fabulous.

My SIL and another friend are meeting up with me for, I hope, Chinese dinner. It's my last evening here as I'll be at airport checking in my dinner time tomorrow. My Melbourne to Dubai flight is codeshared with Qantas so I can't check in online. I'll be home Saturday late evening UK time.

I hope that all's well with everyone, though special thoughts to candlelight, Judi, HH and Hilstep.

Happy Thursday.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,675 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 April 2016 at 7:06AM
    Morning all and thanks NMLC for starting us off again. It's a miserable start here for us as well.

We have Mr TA's Oncology appt this morning at St James. I can't believe a month has already passed since his last injection, these months fly by. We need to be on the 10.30 train to Leeds so not such a big rush this time. Thursday is curry day in the hospital restaurant so that's what Mr TA is looking forward to after the customary long wait to be seen. I am taking a chicken and ham salad with me for my lunch as I am really trying to keep on the straight and narrow now.

We had a lovely girlie night last night with much gossiping, catching up of news and, of course, laughter. I won't mention the copious amounts of wine involved but, as far as the carvery went, I avoided mash, roasties and Yorkshire pud and filled my plate up with lots of veg to accompany the turkey and gammon.

I have been promising myself a spiraliser since I first considered the BSD and saw an ad yesterday for the JML one. So before heading for our train back this afternoon I am going to pop in to Wilco's in Leeds to get one.

Have a good day all (((HUGS))) to all needing/wanting them. It goes without saying my thoughts, as ever, are with GERS, CANDLELIGHT, HILSTEP, HESTER and JUDI. I hope little EVIE is on the mend too, poor little doggy. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Morning all
    Hugs to gers, Judi and the candlelight and hilstep.
    I'm glad you had a better day at work nmlc, there is nothing worse than struggling because of someone else's decisions.
    Very cold here again today 4deg, we are forecast more rain today, we got very wet a few times yesterday and probably will again today.
    We are planning a trip to the Barley Mow today and a visit to Tesco.
    Kettle has boiled, time I made a cuppa. Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Good morning, absent yesterday as I went to work early, came back late, ate some dinner made by OH and was in bed by 9. Feeling more human after a long sleep.
    Sending love to those who need a bit of extra support and hope that everyone has good days today.
    I must get showered and dressed for today's onslaught.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning [/FONT] :hello:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thinking of you [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Judi,[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] and [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]candlelight[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] xx [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hester[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Every time I wonder how you're getting on, I have a vision of a determined woman planning a fabulous speech to put the social worker in her place and leave her speechless, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hope little Evie is OK [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]redruby[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] x[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not sure you'd have wanted us yesterday [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]LameWolf [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]and[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] camelot – [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi found fox poo and rolled in it til he was completely covered :D Day one of bell training was amusing, Scampi thought it was another toy to play with :D Yesterday was so disruptive, we didn't get anywhere with it. We're on our own today so hopefully there'll be a bit of progress.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Towel rail still not connected. Master tru took one look and said he wasn't doing anything with it til the wall was sorted, so set about doing it himself. He did a great job with the kitchen floor, I just hope Scampi doesn't pee on it, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I emptied the freezer drawers and scrubbed them, then sorted the food into categories. Strict instructions have been given to keep it that way, not sure it'll happen though![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've been wearing old boots and mr tru's old Glos Rugby jacket for dog walks. I don't bother cleaning the boots because they're muddy again five minutes after we leave the house and the jacket is far too big for me. It was fine in the wintery weather, I looked like I'd bundled up for a wet, cold walk. I've just realised how ridiculous it looks when I go out at this time of year :D Time for a wardrobe sort out I think.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Morning everyone,

Hugs to Gers, Candlelight, Judi, Hester and Hilstep
    Dumpling Sorry to hear that the trip out wasn't easy for you, hope that next time is better.
    TA Hope that Mr TA's appointment goes ok and that he enjoys the curry!
    Tru I dream of having an organised freezer!

Well my car passed its MOT yesterday so that is a weight off my mind, especially as DD1 drives it as well as me and I need to know that it is safe.

I am off on a spa day today (saved up for and paid for in January!).
    Really looking forward to it.

Have a lovely day everyone.:)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Dry and reasonably bright here at the moment, yesterday was a real mixture, talk about four seasons in one day!

Just spent the last 20 mins getting sticky burrs out of Tilly spaniel ears, poor thing had gone into a right patch of them and having long hairy ears are a nightmare :(
    Work today and have to prepare some information for a meeting that's going ahead on Monday, think everyone is just waking up to how bad the ledgers are, let's hope they take some of what I say on board as am sure some simple changes would really help.
    TA - hope you and Mr TA get on ok today
    Hugs and thoughts as always for Gers, Candlelight, Hester and Hillstep.
    RR - Tilly and Rosie send woofs and get well wishes to little Evie.

Have a good day all, take care folks x
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi everyone,

I'm still feeling a bit fragile, I spent most of yesterday sleeping but I still feel tired. I hope it's not the BSD doing this, although I think it's more likely to be a virus. I have been faithfully sticking to the diet so far and it seems to be helping my digestion.

DH went to the dentist yesterday and it looks like he's going to need the (very expensive) treatment we decided on this year. He could have a bridge as a cheaper alternative but would rather have the implant and I can't blame him. We'll have to tighten our belts a bit, teeth are so important, unfortunately so are DS' wedding a new roof on the Yorkshire house, all of which will clear out our accessible savings I think. Never mind, I know we're very lucky to have the savings to be able to do it.

Gers,have a good journey tomorrow. Thoughts for Candlelight, Hester, Judi and Hilstep.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Good morning one and all.

Thoughts and hugs for all that need them!

This morning I had a dream I was walking through farmers market that only sold cakes but nobody was there!! Surrounded by rocky roads, bakewell tarts and empire biscuits. So I now sit at my desk with breakfast in hand, a herbalife milkshake. I don’t think that will cut it today hahaha!

Sent my CV off for a new job that I fancy and have a weirdly good feeling about it. Tonight I shall continue to gut my cupboards and get some stuff on eBay soon. Minimalize Speky, minimalise!!!!

Have a good Thursday all. Today’s motivational quote;

“Let us sacrifice our day so that our children can have a better tomorrow” – A.P.J. Abdul Kalan.
  • Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one. It's a bit grey this morning, we had all sorts yesterday, rain sleet, hail and sun. The showers were quickly over, but the wind chill was something else. I got the laundry almost dry on the line, found a pair of trousers had blown off the line, landed on the clothes post, so did not get mucked up.

No real plans for the day, will just take it as it comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure