EDIT 11th October: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners now told to turn off device

Options
worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 11 October 2016 at 11:50AM in Mobiles
Samsung Electronics is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and said that battery problems were behind phones catching fire.

The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the phone "exploding" during or after charging.

The South Korean company said customers who had already bought the phone would be able to swap it for a new one.

People who have already bought the device - which is only available to pre-order in the UK - will be issued with a replacement.

BBC News

Update 2 September 2016: The Note 7 should have gone on sale today, but Samsung has had to stop sales and offer to replace handsets that are already with customers following an issue being found with its battery cells. According to an official statement from Samsung, "there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7." A company statement on the Samsung Korea site appears to suggest this delay will push back the on sale date by a couple of weeks.

EDIT 11TH OCTOBER
"We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.

We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available."

Samsung Newsroom
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not picked this up as a problem on the forums .I see its a total of 35 against 3 million sold so far .
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Not picked this up as a problem on the forums .I see its a total of 35 against 3 million sold so far .

Well, the numbers play against it happening to any particular person, and the fact that it's not been sold in the UK yet means that it's even more unlikely to appear as an issue on MSE.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did not mean this forum but forums for the other six non UK versions of Note 7 .
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I only have an 'ancient' Note 4 which has a removable battery, so I presume later models have a fixed battery?.. I bet Samsung are regretting that then!!

It would be a lot cheaper to dish out new batteries than whole phones obviously!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • worldtraveller
    edited 2 September 2016 at 6:39PM
    Options

Well, if you'd be happy to travel on a commercial airline flight with just one passenger who had one of those 35 phones that 'exploded', or caught fire, good luck! :)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • worldtraveller
    edited 2 September 2016 at 6:40PM
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Well, the numbers play against it happening to any particular person, and the fact that it's not been sold in the UK yet means that it's even more unlikely to appear as an issue on MSE.

So, are you maybe saying that, in statistical terms, it's alright then, and an acceptable fault?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, are you maybe saying that, in statistical terms, it's alright then, and an acceptable fault?

What in my post would give you that idea? I was simply responding to the comment that it hadn't been seen in the forum (later clarified to be other, unspecified, forums).
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I would presume Samsung themselves would have a more accurate idea of the scale of the problem than you and the forums you read.

If it wasn't a serious issue it's pretty doubtful they would have ordered a worldwide recall and replacement.
    ====
  • LucidlyKataklys
    Options
    Hi All,

I pre-ordered & received a Note 7 on 16th August, which was then recalled by Samsung on the 19th August (talk about bad luck!).

3 picked up the Note 7 mid September and gave me a temporary replacement phone (A S6 Edge, meh but it's something at least).

With the recent confirmation from Samsung that they have stopped production of the Note 7 again due to the "safe" handsets also bursting into flames, I'm starting to get quite worried now.

I was wondering if it would be possible to go to 3 and get a different phone, or even cancel my contract entirely?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure they would allow you to change to a different phone, but you might have a battle to get the actual network contract cancelled.

Have you asked Three?
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family