PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• toottifrootti
    Options
    A bit late but can I have a target of £100 again for October please. Must go read the new rules - thanks for keeping the thread going and all the hard work you all put in re-organising it.
    TF
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I get my milk from Aldi or Lidl -- currently £1.40 for 4 pints, and the cheapest within walking distance for us. As such haven't noticed if anywhere has has gone up, but Mr T (just about walkable) and Mr A (by car only) were £1.44, and S'fld (easy walk) was £1.46. Not sure on Co-Op, but they're always dearer than S'fld !!!

With regards to cheap range items disappearing, I noticed a couple of days ago that the value chopped tomatoes have disappeared from Mr T's site, and neither Mr A nor Mr T has affordable wholemeal flour tonight :eek:

Had noticed Aldi have put their sugar up to 79p (same as Mr T), but our local Quality Save/Home Bargains still have some at 69p..... if it's still that price I plan to grab a few bags early next week, when I next do the 3.5mile round trip (by foot) with my shopping trolley.
    Cheryl
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    If you were freaked by my budget before, then I hope you'll not be a nervous wreck after this post......

When I calculated my figure I took everything I spent in September (currently £118.72) and added to that the value of things I'd used from stock (a further £31.03) -- so a total of £149.75 divided by 30 (days in Sept) and multiplied by 31 (days in October). This gives me £154.75, but doesn't include cereals (hadn't bought), pickles, sauces, gravy granules, hebs/spices, or a few tins hubby has taken without me noting down. So I rounded it to £165

BUT -- I've just realised that over £19 worth of what I bought is still in the cupboards or (mostly) freezer. So that means my sums should be £130.59 / 30 * 31, which gives me £134.95. So if I then add on the extra tenner (and pennies) for the "missing" items.....

MrsMac -- sorry to be a pain :o -- please can you adjust my budget down to £145 for the month :eek: This won't include anything I buy and haven't touched by the end of October (but items on BOGOF or similar will count in total even if I only open one of the items - else I wouldn't have got the special deal price!)
    You are a secret mathemetician! Now I could do it that way but its not for me. At the end of the day if we are doing the challenge month in,month out, it seems enough to just calculate the weekly or monthly spends. I would do well this week if I did it your way as goodness knows what the value of my cupboard foods are! Hundreds at a guess! And Ive used very little of what Ive bought this week.
    Oh I like an easy life!
    I stocked up this week at Tesco so have lots of store cupboard stuff. Not worked much so no sneaking out to the shops lunchtime so very little to write in my spending diary. I Think its about £80 on food for this week off the top of my head-more than the weeks budget but as its averaged over the month it balances out well. I actually underspent that amount last month so Im happy with that.We had a cheap tea tonight of pasta with homemade bolognaise sauce-no mince-we used some cooking bacon and cheese. Well DD made it so it was extra yummy as she cooked and washed up. Always tastes better when there's no work involved.
    Got enough milk bread and veg certainly until Monday or Tuesday so I must stay away from the shops. Got the breadmix for 27p in Tesco and bought 6 of them also got a couple of spongecake mixes-not sure if that was a good is idea but I shall see what I think of them for 23p? or 27p each.
    2 1/2 kilo spuds was only 64p thats the value ones. I had a lot of shopping for my money-I do believe price wars are starting again.
    Value mushrooms were down to £1.11. No sign of 5p curry (Ive still got 10 jars anyhow)but rice has also come down to about 79p a kilo(value) but Ive still got about 4 kilos from way back! Working tomorrow but no lunch break so I must make sure I don't do detours on my way home. Trouble is-I'm addicted to bargains foodwise and I am feeding an army aren't I???
    Oh the value toms in Tesco are 49p for 6 but a much bigger tub with about twice the amount are only 69p so a much better buy. These weren't in the same part as all the other toms tho-they were on an end facing.(the end of the aisle).
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello everyone

I just added up what we spent for September and it was £276.22!!! i am so annoyed with myself as i was hoping it would be about £200 but too many demands from my family and a lot of wasted food too has caused this...

I will try much harder this month to keep too a maximum of £200

Fiona
  • smetf
    smetf Posts: 264 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all

Well chicken in slow cooker great success, lovely tea last night for very little work. Seven hours on auto- seemed to do the trick! Got enough bits of chicken to do risotto on Sun night and froze half to do something else with later. Then (got idea off slow cooker quick q.s thread) put carcass in slow cooker overnight with juices, celery, onions etc overnight on low and woke up to chicken stock all made this morning :D.

Off to have breakfast then bargain hunting at NCT Nearly New Sale (am helping out so get first dibs of bargains). Anyone who doesn't know great place for kids clothes toys and equipment. Xmas pressie and winter clothes shopping!

Will let dh make vat of soup with stock, I'll put the bm on now!

See you later
    Smetf
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 5k
      Mortgage £63666.87
  • eveie189
    eveie189 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning

I was doing so well but then went to Mr M's last night (we only needed brown sauce) and spent £34.90. We did stock up on some stuff though like boxes of pampers that were only £7.99 and their own brand washing powder (does anyone know if it is any good?).
    My freezer is now fit to burst as I took DH and showed him what a whoopsie is. Is he loves meat he then picked nearly everything up that was whoospied.

Anyway hope everyone has a nice weekend

Katie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You are a secret mathemetician! Now I could do it that way but its not for me. At the end of the day if we are doing the challenge month in,month out, it seems enough to just calculate the weekly or monthly spends. I would do well this week if I did it your way as goodness knows what the value of my cupboard foods are! Hundreds at a guess! And Ive used very little of what Ive bought this week.
    Ah well, but I want to run down my stocks as a lot of what we have in isn't stuff I'd buy any more (too expensive). So if I ran a budget of £130 (plus stock items) now, then in a few months I'd have to increase it considerably. The way I'm doing it now means that the 'from stock' costs should slowly dwindle down to almost negligble, at which point I can change to just what I buy in line with everyone else -- and keep the budget the same, so no major temptation to spend at the start of the month just 'cos I've got an increase ;)
    Cheryl
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Hi Everyone.
    My shopping this week has come to £54.09 went to Mr A late yesterday afternoon. Not a good time to go shelves quite empty and no whoopsies. Spent £51.88 in there which didn't include any meat ! No cheap bread mixes anymore. Should be ok up to the end of next week. Using things out of the freezer which we got around to defrosting the beginning os the week. Found things i didn't know I had. Have a good weekend everyone.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Money_Fritter
    Money_Fritter Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Hope everybody is well.

Went for my weekly shop last night and it came to £12.38. Bringing my total for the month to £37.95 out of £60. So I have £22.05 left for the rest of the month. I think I can do it but it will be close.

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just updated my sig - I've spent over half my budget :eek: on a trip to Lidl yesterday to stock up for the freezer. I'm so pleased to have it switched on again - been without it since I moved here in June :j I knew I would miss it but I didnt realise just how much; the main thing has been a lot of waste and I'm pleased to report that this morning - apart from the loaves, meat etc I bought - I have frozen one banana :D one crust of bread (start of my breadcrumbing stash!) and a small piece of fish which will become fish cakes sometime soon. I made loads of pastry this week, so I'll be making quiche (freeze in slices) and pies later today. I'm off now to check my vegetables and see what needs using up and I've already sorted out several packs of lentils, beans etc that will be soaked overnight and frozen in portion sizes after cooking tomorrow.
    I love my freezer:happylove

ps I forgot to say that I checked the 'what's hot and whats not at aldi and lidl' thread before I went and bought several things that were recommended and which I probably wouldn't have found on my own.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family