Bank-smart now charging me!

Options

Comments

• akadawny
    akadawny Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Milliman

I have had two of these now, one in August and one today. I eventually paid the august one as I had exhausted every option, including writing to the ministry of justice, and the financial ombudsman. I was told that its my word against theirs as I didnt have a copy of the original contract and terms and conditions they sent me (I cant remember being sent anything)

I asked them for a breakdown of fees and a copy of the contract I signed, and they emailed both to me. You will need these first of all so email and ask for yours. The only regulator that can help is ministry of justice as these regulate claims management companies.

The terms and conditions arent clear, and someone has won in court against them using that argument, but I had nochoice but to pay as I cant afford court costs. Be careful if you cancel the claim they will add £150 to your invoice, and if they have to start legal action because you dont pay they will add £150 also, and they can add more.

I wish you all the best, and I really hope someone can stop these cowboys!
  • akadawny
    Options
    As a added note, you can also email and ask them for your custmer id and password to log onto the website if you havent got these already, then you can see exactly what the costs incurred for your claim are, but you still need to email them for a breakdown of fees
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I can see two possible grounds for complaint against this firm.

The first is the Conduct of Authorised Persons Rules 2007. If you go to page 6, you will see there are "Client Specific Rules".

Rule 1a says they must "Act fairly and reasonably in dealings with all clients". If they have not then you have grounds for complaint.

Rule 1b says they must "Ensure that any service offered is one that meets the needs of the
    client and satisfies the requirements of these Rules". If you needed a "no win, no fee" agreement then it has not met your needs and you have grounds for complaint.

Rule 1c says "Ensure that all information given to the client is clear, transparent, fair
    and not misleading." If it was not made clear to you at outset that a fee would be payable regardless of the outcome you have grounds for complaint.

Rule 1f says, "Where advice is given, advise the client to pursue cases only if it is in
    the interests of the client to do so." This is particularly relevant to bank charges because if they intend to charge a fee regardless of outcome it is unlikely to be in your best interests because of the outcome of the court case. Indeed, once it became apparent that the case was going to court there was always a significant risk that the banks would win and no redress would be payable. So if they indicated they could get money back for you there are grounds for complaint.

Bank-Smart's website says of this: "
    Bank-Smart are experts in reclaiming client’s 6 years worth of unfair charges with interest. ....

The legality of personal account charges has been dropped by the Office of Fair Trading. Bank-Smart can still process your claim and demand a refund of charges, particuarly (sic) where you can demonstrate financial hardship."

The word "particularly" (assuming that is what is meant) is significant because it infers that charges can be recovered in other circumstances when, in reality, the chances are virtually nil.

Moving on, Rule 10 says, "Before seeking to enter into a contract with a client a business must make
    reasonable enquiries as to whether the client has alternative mechanisms for pursuing a claim".

Did they check whether you had legal expenses cover with your household insurance? Or whether there was a legal helpline with your insurance (even legal expenses cover with your car will often have a helpline on other legal matters) or with your employer, or even the Citizens' Advice Bureau? If not you have grounds for complaint.

Rule 11a requires them to provide "Honest, comprehensive and objective written information to assist the client to reach a decision including the risks involved in making a claim, in particular the possibility of losing money and, in the case of legal action, appearing in court."

Did they make clear to you that you would have to pay even if no redress was awarded? If not you can complain.

Rule 11b requires them to provide details of "The services that will be provided, in a way that does not misrepresent, either by implication or omission, any term or condition or by whom the service will be provided."

If you were led to believe it was "no win no fee" you have grounds for complaint if they are charging you for their failure.

Rule 11e requires them to provide details of "Any charge the business makes". This is probably in the documents given to you. However, all the requirements of Rule 11 must be met PRIOR to the contract's commencement and if it was not made clear to you that you would pay a fee come what may you have grounds for complaint.

Rule 12 says "Where a claim is one that falls within the province of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Housing Ombudsman Service or any other recognised dispute resolution procedure, the business must not suggest that a claimant will have a more favourable outcome if he uses the services of the business."

I have put in the full wording because Bank-Smart seem to think you can claim for anything. (In some cases it is merely a tax rebate!). However, if they suggested they could get a more favourable result from the Financial Ombudsman Service you have grounds for complaint.

Rule 13 says "A business must make explicit to the client his right to seek further advice or
    to shop around, subject to any time limits within which a claim must be made." If they did not tell you then you can complain that, had they done so, you would have chosen a no win no fee company instead. This looks to be very difficult for them to defend.

Rule 14 says "A business must take reasonable steps to ensure that the client is able to
    understand the contract that he is being asked to agree to."

Again - if you did not understand that it was not a no win no fee agreement you have grounds for complaint.

If you are not satisfied with their response you can take your complaint to the Ministry of Justice.
  • efletcher121
    Options
    I would just like to add that in my own experience Bank Smart are an absolute bunch of irresponsible cowboys that have no shame in the way they operate their business! I just hope that someone, somewhere has the power to stop them in their tracks!! Sorry this is unrelated to what everyone else has been talking about but I have made it my mission to bad mouth them as many places as I can on the internet so some other poor person doesn't get sucked in like me!!
  • akadawny
    Options
    Hi all

Wow I have had so many emails asking for copies of the terms & conditions, just want to clarify, I copied them off the website in July this year, however I dont know how long they were displayed there, and the new set was uploaded a few weeks later. I dont know what good they will do you, as it states in them (both sets) that they reserve the right to change them any time they want, and its up to you to check the website to see the changes.

That said however I will still email them to anyone who wants them :)
  • ellie37
    Options
    Hi All
    Sorry if all a bit jumbled- this is worth reading!
    I have been in same position as you all and agree we need to do something-
    Matt Wales suggestion…as here anyone else has or has had trouble with this company please complain to regulator at [EMAIL="info@claimsregulation.gov.uk"]info@claimsregulation.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
    I have just spoke to them again but they need complaints from as many people as possible to take any action
    . We should all do this!
    Or we could all pledge to start an on-line petition? I am not great with technology-any thoughts anyone??!
    IN SHORT……
    ‘’MAGPIE COTTAGE’’ IS SPOT ON! with advice/info as per below! I have quoted this in all correspondence!
    ie- Having spoken to the Ministry of Justice who regulate BANK SMART it was confirmed that they have breached their conditions of authorisation, specifically Client Specific rule 1F that states ‘’that business should advise the client to pursue cases only if it is in their interests to do so’’
    (BS don’t evaluate claims- they just pursue them!)
    Ministry of Justice were helpful but don’t seem to regulate as per their criteria.
    · I personally was billed with £450 + - I was sent DEBT COLLECTOR LETTER- DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS- if you google this on direct gov web a debt collector cant take property or force entry to home- only talk to you about paying or send you a letter ( I doubt this would happen anyway!) they need to take you to court to get a bailiff and in my opinion highly unlikely that they will risk losing another court case! (as they have in past)
    · I believe that they play on the emotions of the ‘client’ as you have all said you paid as they just kept adding ££. I was prepared to take it all the way as I refused to believe there would be a judge in the land that would look at this whole mess and rule in favour of BS!!
    · IMPORTANT- I followed the advice of someone on here- I wrote Good strong factual letters to WATCH DOG/WHICH?/ and the Sunday times….i copied BS in on them at 12pm one evening prior to posting….by 7am the next day they had e-mailed to say they had further reviewed my account and had ‘’cancelled all claims on my account free of charge & my details removed’’ they say that this was due to the fact that I had originally applied in 2008 when T&C’s were different but who knows……! I am confident that if you do this you will sufficiently scare them as the last thing they need is bad publicity.
    A SECTION OF THE LETTER-
    As you will see in the sales pitch above all they state is that a client needs to ‘’list all companies you have used for loans/mortgages etc [you will then receive] the required forms’’. Nowhere does it state that you need to know exactly how much your charges have been as the assumption is from this that as stated in the condition above BANK SMART will evaluate the potential claim before pursuing. It is also stated in the T&C’s point 1.1 below.
    In BANK SMART Terms & Conditions it states-
    1: The service provided by Bank Smart shall consist of:
    1.1: ‘’The evaluation of a potential Claim due to the client in respect of the unfair charges or excessive fee’s applied to their account ,insurance policy, tax fee’s, or other credit and finance related products including claims for financial mis-selling or other claim(s) requested by completing a letter of authority
    Also add in about charges/what you have received back (nil) and the contracts T&C’s you have never seen.

I agree with all other’s on here & would like to find a solution to this for all, this is the most non transparent company ever in history.
  • Milliman
    Options
    to all those that want to speak to BS company straight this is the current number on the telephone 01872540752
  • Milliman
    Milliman Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    ellie37 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Sorry if all a bit jumbled- this is worth reading!
    I have been in same position as you all and agree we need to do something-
    Matt Wales suggestion…as here anyone else has or has had trouble with this company please complain to regulator at [EMAIL="info@claimsregulation.gov.uk"]info@claimsregulation.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
    I have just spoke to them again but they need complaints from as many people as possible to take any action
    . We should all do

I spoke to MOJ and yet they have said that the money they charge you regardless if the claim is succesfull or not there is a sttrong chance that people wille pay that.
  • ReadingFC
    Options
    I am much the same as the other examples on here. Had a BS claim in 2008, now they want £118.80 All said and done, shall I ignore their emails? I realise they are spivs.
  • Ritchie281977
    Options
    Hello there i'm new to the site and this is my first post but its rather inportant.

After reading all posts i too have had a bad experience with bank smart. My girlfriend and i were both contacted about claimimg and so put in 2 claims but cancelled them 2 days later after seeing all the bad reviews about the company. We were then billed for 2 different bills of £86 and £100. After contacting them saying we cancelled within the 14 day cooling of period they have since told us we still need to pay the above totals.

There is no way i am paying these amounts for what i see as no work at all done.

Surely this is illegal on there part.

Some advice would be very much welcomed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback