IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ah I get what you mean now. Crossed wires. Yes I suppose if they didn't produce land owner contract it was the same as a PSDSU in essence.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • lynneh
    lynneh Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Received our decision today.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    On xxxxx the appellant was issued with a parking charge notice for breaching the terms and conditions of the parking site.
    It is the operator’s case that the appellant did not purchase the appropriate parking time despite clear signage erected at the site to indicate that this was necessary to do so. There is photographic evidence to support that there was adequate signage at the site to inform motorists of the parking terms and conditions. There is also evidence from the operator’s automatic number plate recognition system which shows the appellant’s vehicle, registration number Xxxxxxxx entered the site at 22:20 and exited at 23:36.
    The appellant has made a number of submissions, however, I will only elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely that the parking charge amount is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    The burden is on the operator to prove that the parking charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Although the operator has produced a breakdown of costs incurred, these do not substantially amount to a genuine pre-estimate of loss. This is because the full amount of the parking charge is £100. When the amount of the parking charge is representative of damages it must be genuinely pre-estimated by the operator before a contract with the driver is formed. It is clear that the amount lost by the operator as a result of the appellant’s alleged breach is calculated at £34.90. Therefore, the operator has not shown how the £100 parking charge is justified as the loss incurred as a result of the appellant’s alleged breach. Therefore I am not satisfied that the operator has discharged the burden.
    In consideration of all the evidence before me, I find that the operator has failed to prove that the parking charge amount was a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.
    Farah Ahmad
    Assessor
  • lynneh
    Options
    LCP, Harlesden Plaza. I have posted in the original thread too.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done lynneh.

Did the GPEOL statement of the PPC only amount to £34.90 (they must be daft if that's what they put forward), or has the POPLA assessor done some calculation of what she will 'allow' and what she has 'disallowed'?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • lynneh
    Options
    No, they itemised it on one of their letters!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lynneh wrote: »
    No, they itemised it on one of their letters!

Thanks! How stupid - doh :doh:. £34.90 GPEOL £65.10 penalty.

Game over. Great result for you
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • lynneh
    Options
    Thanks to all the advice given here!
  • Treety_P
    Treety_P Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Won my appeal!

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

The operator issued parking charge notice number xxxxxxx arising out of the presence at SA1 (Swansea), on 29 March 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark xxxxxxx. The operator recorded that the vehicle was parked in a restricted area of the car park.

The appellant has made a number of submissions; I have not dealt with them all as I am allowing this appeal on the following ground.

It is the appellant’s case that the amount of the parking charge does not
    represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

The burden is on the operator to prove that the parking charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Although a detailed breakdown may not necessarily be required to prove this, as the appellant has questioned the level of the charge in this case, it is necessary for the operator to provide an explanation as to how this sum was arrived at as an estimate of the damage which could
    be caused by the appellant’s alleged breach. However, the operator has not
    provided a breakdown of costs under each head of claim. I am unable to see how the parking charge amount has been calculated. In addition, the operator has included “Central Payments Office (CPO) – Indirect Overheads”. I do not accept that these costs have been incurred as a direct result of the appellant’s breach. As the operator has not produced a
    breakdown of costs, I am unable to determine the proportion of these costs in relation to other heads of claim listed by the operator. On this occasion, I am not satisfied that the operator has discharged the burden.

In consideration of all the evidence before me, I find that the operator has failed to prove that the parking charge amount represents a genuine pre- estimate of loss.

Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.

Amber Ahmed
    Assessor

Thanks everyone who helped. Justice!! x
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The above was Excel. This from the POPLA needs highlighting:-

"However, genuine pre-estimate of loss means just that. It is an estimate of the loss which might reasonably be suffered, made before the breach occurred, rather than a calculation of the actual loss suffered made afterwards."
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    Another win against Parking Eye. I assisted an ( ex ) Aldi customer off board and unsurprisingly PE threw in the towel - in fact they didn't even turn up for the fight !
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback