Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy?

Options

Comments

• bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which Uni is he planning on going to? In DD's accommodation all of the rooms have t.v. screens, but the children don't use them - they all use iplayer on their laptops. If you have SKY you can also give him your details and he can use the SKY mobile. No licence needed for either.

Don't buy a desklamp in case the rooms have them. Best bet is to go onto www.thestudentroom.co.uk and pick up the thread on Unis and accommodation. Find the ones he is interested in and ask the current students what is provided. We ended up taking a floor rug with us and my OH was not happy about having to put it in the car - however best thing we could have bought because the floor in DD's room has tile type flooring. All her friends then went out and bought floor rugs!

Don't buy a mini-fridge as many of the Uni's won't allow them, nor certain plug in stuff in the kitchens and rooms. I would definately recommend a small handled wok - John Lewis do one. Can be used as either a frying pan or a saucepan. He may also have a problem with other students using his food (sometimes visitors from outside to the communal area with inmates) so would suggest he doesn't stock up the fridge too much. You may like to get a large storage box with a lid that he can keep in his room for food like pasta/rice/cerea/coffee etc.

Would also ensure that he knows he has to keep his room locked at all times - in DD's uni it is not unheard of for pranksters to get in the rooms, remove the beds, remove the bathroom door, decorate the room with loo roll etc. etc.

Would also ensure that when moving him in, one of you stays in the room whilst the other makes trips to and from the car. Unfortunately there are people around who use opportunities such as moving in day to mingle with the students and steal, even though they have absolutely no connection with the Uni.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just remembered this

http://www.sainsburysgifts.co.uk/meal_ticket_cards.html

Children off to uni? There’s an easy way to make sure they’re eating properly when you’re not there to cook them something healthy. A Meal Ticket from Sainsbury’s means your children always have funds to buy food – not to mention all those non-food digs essentials like cutlery, crockery and bedding! The handy credit-card size Meal Ticket is the perfect start for student life (and peace of mind for you!).

The Sainsbury’s Meal Ticket comes in two card parts. One card for the student to stock up on groceries and homeware and one for you to reload with funds. It’s easy to use:
    Pick up a Meal Ticket in store – you'll find them at the checkouts or at the gift card centre
    Load the card with the desired amount at the till and keep the top part
    Give the bottom card to the student to spend in any Sainsbury's store
    Reload the card at any time in store
    The Meal Ticket is not a credit or debit card so your child can only spend what's on the card
    For more information please call 0800 636262
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    A george foreman grill was the best gadget we bought for my sons when off to uni. The ones with washable plates though.
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My daughter has a suitcase fitted with wheels and an extendable handle.
  • judyjetson
    judyjetson Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ikea is good for cheap and cheerful basics. They have plenty of food container sets, and have a basic 17 piece set for under £3. There's also some good chunky drinking glasses to be had for 49p each.

I'd advise getting a baking tray, as if he's not cooking in the microwave, he'll likely be heating it up in the oven - Poundland's bakeware isn't at all bad. A couple of sharp knives - take advantage of the Tesco knife offer or try TK Maxx, which is great for cookware.

An alarm clock - again Ikea have a basic one for 99p. I know people use the alarm on their phones, but it's always handy for a back up.

Cooking utensils - a couple of wooden spoons, spatula, etc - once again Ikea is your friend and you can get a three piece fork, serving spoon and fish slice for 70p and a wooden set for 59p.

Tin opener, scissors, bottle opener, corkscrew. Or a good Swiss Army knife!
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 April 2012 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Home made first aid kit. I just used a sandwich box (could use an ice cream tub) and put in :-

Paracetamol
    Ibuprophen
    Asprin
    Rennies or other tummy settling tablets
    Diarreah tablets
    Antihistamenes eg piriton or generic equivalent
    Plasters, both waterproof & the other one that comes in a strip
    Antiseptic wipes
    Germoline / Sudocreme
    Elastic bandage
    Dressing bandage
    Sling
    Tweezers
    Cough bottle
    Throat sweets
    Small scissors
    Baby wipes
    Vaseline
    Sun cream / after sun

That's just a quick basic list but was much appreciated by my son & his flat mates for the first aid kit.

Also recommend a bin for his room, bin liners for same, cling film, tin foil, paper plates (if friends coming over), plastic cutlery (same and no washing up). They are also handy for first few days until he finds his feet.

Condiments, kids will buy food, but forget things like salt, pepper, sauce, mayo & vinegar. Even if you just collect sachets from / if you're eating out.

I also recommend getting soap powder tablets. easier to cart a couple of them from his room than a whole box of powder, but if left in a communal area it's a popular item to be pinched.

Finally on the subject of washing, a clothes airer or two he can keep in his room, maybe even the ones which clip to the radiators. Again a godsend to my son.

Oh a pack of light bulbs, you never know.

Bottle or two of diluting juice, tea, coffee, sugar.

Couple of blankets for wrapping round himself whilst studying (read all night gaming with friends), extra couple of pillows for sail friends.

I could go on but that's enough to start with I think especially with the other good ideas already posted.

Some you may even be able to pick up free from gumtree / freegle.
  • yertiz_2
    yertiz_2 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    In addition to others, my sons' liked to have a cosy blanket and a couple of cushions which although were extra home comforts they also used for mates who came and stayed with them; I think they slept on the floor!
    Tbh, as long as they have the basics they get by and we just added a few things as the year progressed.
    Best wishes for a great university experience! :)
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh and a box / folder with clear plastic wallets for important documents such as rental agreements, bank statement, letters from uni which need to be kept.

Also recommend a cork notice board with a couple of pictures of every day life at home stuck on it i.e. family and friends.

This is also useful for sticking important dates on it or even a shopping list pad. Don't forget the pins for this.

Packet of pens, stamps, envelopes, writing paper for applying for part time jobs / writing home.

Also recommend one of the sealed saving cans from Poundland or such like for emergencies. Easy to dip into a normal bank spur of the moment, but you really need to think about getting into one of those, so less likely to dip in for the hell of it. (Hope that bit makes sense).

Oh and tell him to ALWAYS keep a toilet roll in his room (and box of handkerchiefs), even if they are sharing the bills on this, as someone is likely to not bother at their turn and the house is left with none. This way he will not be caught short.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2012 at 4:48AM
    Options
    We got our son the essentials - and got a double quilt and cover as the single didn't keep him warm enough. Cork boards are supplied where mine are, infact in my sons Uni, one wall is cork :)

One thing I did buy him because we use it a lot, is a slow cooker. He is learning to cook soups and some of my recipies in it and I am going to get him a bigger 6 litre on when he moves out of the halls into his 7 ppl house share.

It's a great way for them to all chip in and all get a decent meal that's ready when they get out of class :)

For example, my own sausage casserole recipe will cost 7 of them about 80 p each including rice and a generous serving of sausage casserole.

Soups cost even less, are easy to make, and when eaten with bread can be really filling, especially soups with rice/noodles in them. Much better than the pot noodle alternative!
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • yertiz_2
    yertiz_2 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and a box / folder with clear plastic wallets for important documents such as rental agreements, bank statement, letters from uni which need to be kept.

Also recommend a cork notice board with a couple of pictures of every day life at home stuck on it i.e. family and friends.

This is also useful for sticking important dates on it or even a shopping list pad. Don't forget the pins for this.

Packet of pens, stamps, envelopes, writing paper for applying for part time jobs / writing home.

Also recommend one of the sealed saving cans from Poundland or such like for emergencies. Easy to dip into a normal bank spur of the moment, but you really need to think about getting into one of those, so less likely to dip in for the hell of it. (Hope that bit makes sense).

Oh and tell him to ALWAYS keep a toilet roll in his room (and box of handkerchiefs), even if they are sharing the bills on this, as someone is likely to not bother at their turn and the house is left with none. This way he will not be caught short.

Yes yes!! TOILET ROLL IMPORTANT! Well done cheekyweegit! Can't recap here but I have a story....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure