PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dropped Kerb help

Options

Comments

• Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Have you got a 5m depth of front lawn? It doesn't look like it

You might be right, certainly has 5m across, but depth doesn't look like 5m. I only briefly saw the house and didn't take measurements, only now that i'm looking deeper into it's looking unlikely.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with unforeseen, definitely not 5m.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that ‘ Parking Bay’is the dropped curb.
    Much like this a little further up the road
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3979953,-0.7125313,3a,58.8y,308.18h,56.36t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sh_BGBqjK8B5RNpJmFvVj5Q!2e0

In which case you could chance it and use that for access to your front garden. But expect to get regularly blocked in, or out. Note the "please keep clear" notices, suggesting this house has had that very problem.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It looks like the only official drives are this marked with the white H lines. The others may seem to be people taking advantage of the dropped kerbs of the parking bays.
  • Glover1862
    Options
    I think that ‘ Parking Bay’is the dropped curb.
    Much like this a little further up the road
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3979953,-0.7125313,3a,58.8y,308.18h,56.36t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sh_BGBqjK8B5RNpJmFvVj5Q!2e0

I'm surprised they allowed that one, because the lowered kerb there is for normal parking, so a space is lost. They only it could work is between the parking post a tree, but the other restriction 5m deep and 3m width could be a problem, space is there but facing the wrong way.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Do you or a regular visitor require easy access due to a disability? Sometimes that can be a good argument. It would be a struggle up that grassy bank for anyone who is disabled.
  • Glover1862
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    In which case you could chance it and use that for access to your front garden. But expect to get regularly blocked in, or out. Note the "please keep clear" notices, suggesting this house has had that very problem.

I see what you mean, I hadn't considered that, that's a bit naughty but looks like others are doing it. If you did get blocked in I suppose worst case you could drive out between the post and tree, not ideal I know.

It's actually going to be a rental property so I was looking for somewhere with parking, I suppose I'll just try to find another one.

I'll go and take another look tomorrow, very difficult to tell from Google map.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's rental, I doubt it would make any difference to the monthly rent value. If you do it unofficially you are storing up a problem for when the tenant can't get in our out.

Just buy it and rent it as it is, or find a different house.
  • Aspiration
    Aspiration Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I have installed a drop kerb with Northants council, the best thing you can do is call Highways and chat through it after reading the Local Hard standing document. They were brilliant on the phone and their time discussing made the whole thing considerably easier.
    April 2020 - £102,222 Loans/CC’s.

Jan 2022 - £0
    Cleared - £102,222

Jan 2022 - Now time to build suitable investments and a business!
  • Glover1862
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    If it's rental, I doubt it would make any difference to the monthly rent value. If you do it unofficially you are storing up a problem for when the tenant can't get in our out.

Just buy it and rent it as it is, or find a different house.

I do find off road parking much easier to rent out, plus parking is the main issue with disputes, I'll get a better idea tomorrow. thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure