WEBUYANYPHONE.COM -- a warning

wolfers
wolfers Posts: 246 Forumite
edited 31 March 2017 at 11:50AM in Phones & TV
THIS IS A WARNING TO PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING TO SELL THEIR PHONE OR TABLET ON WEBUYANYPHONE.COM

I sent these people an iPhone and an iPad. They received both on Thursday 23rd March. Despite the iPhone being in flawless condition, they claimed it was "good" rather than "excellent" and dropped the offer price. To avoid the stress of getting my phone back and having to find another way of selling it I accepted the lower price.

They confirmed payment would be received on Friday 24th. It was not. Nor on Monday 27th. On Tuesday 28th I tried calling. The line was engaged. I had to redial 40 times before I got through, then waited 10 minutes on hold. The person I spoke to said he would sort it out and I would get paid that day.

I was not paid. So I called on Wednesday 29th. This time it took 80 redials to get through. I spoke to the same person, who again assured me I would be paid that day.

I was again not paid. So I called today, Friday 31st. Got through first time and was met with the same "I'll sort it out, I promise" spiel. I have zero confidence I'll ever see the money. I'm filing a report with Trading Standards and looking at what other options I can take.

As to my iPad -- they've confirmed receipt but haven't even tested it yet and can't give me any time-frame for when this might happen.

I was taken in by the content of their website which promised top-prices and speedy payment. I now see that I was naive -- it was all too good to be true.

Don't make my mistake. Find a trustworthy, reliable company to do business with (I've used O2 recycle in the past with no problems) or sell it yourself on eBay.

I've noticed there has been a slew of negative reviews of this company on TrustPilot in the last few days and the company has taken down its reviews page. You have to wonder what's going on.

Don't take the risk. I wish I hadn't done so.

Comments

• sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll only ever go with a name I trust for this kind of thing even if it means lower prices.

Timely reminder though as I have been looking into recycling my phone recently.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Anything you do through a third party site will be a compromise- you'd get more money and less hassle, this isn't new, it has always been this way but it is surprising how this often catches out sellers, along with the bait-and-switch technique on the offer price.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds rather like the companies who buy any car; the price dropping as son as they see the car.
  • mj132
    mj132 Posts: 150 Forumite
    I sent them my iPad months ago, never heard anything back. Tried to contact them several times and nothing. Do no trust!
  • I also sent my phone to this company. Agreed a price but never received the money. Emailed and called numerous times. Why is this company still allowed to operate!
  • HankRandy
    HankRandy Posts: 11 Forumite
    I was offered £150 for my Iphone6 on 22nd August 2017. When webuyanyphone.com processed my phoned they revised their offer to £110. My phone was in mint condition as it had always been in a case with a screen saver from new. These people are dishonest and disingenuous. Clearly their business model is to offer the best price to secure your business and then lower it when they have your phone.

I rejected their offer and phoned them up. I told them I was not impressed at them wasting my time and being dishonest in securing my business. The woman on the phone was bullish and insistent that I had been dishonest in my appraisal of the phone's condition. The conversation deteriorated. I hate doing business with con artists like these. I reviewed them on Trustpilot. I notice that Trust Pilot had taken down several fake reviews presumably from Webuyanyphone trying to cover up their appalling customer service.

My Trustpilot review was answered with a fairly prim response which was professional enough but which blamed me for not being sincere about the state of my phone. I countered by editing my initial review. She edited her response and sent URL's to photos of my phone in high definition. There were 4 pictures. 3 were 100% perfect and one had a bit of dirt around where the aperture on the case for the speaker slot goes. These could have been wiped off in seconds. Not 'scratches' at all as Webuyanyphone implied.

I'm now waiting for them to return my phone and will keep it.

Take my advice- sell your phone privately on ebay. This company is a nasty, cheap sham with no intention of ever paying you the price they offer. Don't use them!!!
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Sell it yourself - if you do the work, you reap the benefits.
  • I’m in the market to sell another device and thought I’d look them up and see how they’re doing. Still in business, but TrustPilot has removed them from their site.
  • I've had the misfortune of dealing with this firm of shysters over the past few weeks.

Before Christmas I received a quote from them which I was happy with, and which they confirmed was valid and guaranteed for 14 days. The phone was duly sent by special delivery, and signed for by them within the 14 day period.

Fast forward nearly 2 weeks, they finally marked it as received, and then contacted me offering substantially less than the guaranteed price - not because of any fault or issue, but because it was outside of the 14 day period (hmm, not when they received it!). Naturally I was unhappy, particularly because the prices offered by others have dropped by close to £100 in the weeks it had taken them so far, and I'd also incurred the special delivery costs. I tried to escalate my complaint but got nowhere. The phone was returned, and I had little choice but to sell it for the new lower valuations available elsewhere, crystallizing my losses.

I sent formal demand for payment as a Letter Before Action, and received a response to the effect that they would not be paying so I could take them to court if I wanted...I did want! Small claims court claim was duly issued against them for the difference between their guaranteed price and the payment I eventually received from another company, plus my special delivery costs, plus the court costs.

On the same day the claim form was served on them, their customer service manager (who had previously told me politely to go away) emailed me on behalf of the company director to admit liability for the full amount and confirm payment was being made. Payment duly arrived in my bank account by the end of the day.

Best advice is to avoid them at all costs, but if you've already been stung then don't roll over and let them fleece you, if necessary take legal action to recover what you are owed - they won't get away with it if we all do the same! :money:
  • Unfortunately didn't check reviews first.

Haven't been paid for my phone and they are not answering any message or the phone.

I'm so annoyed that I have given notice that I will refer it to the small claims court. Trading standards sounds good too. I wondering if I can find the imie number I should block the phone?

Avoid them at all costs!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure