£240 credit?!

Options
Dan-Dan
Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi

I was paying £55 a month for a family of 4 in a standard end of terrace , i gave a meter reading last week as i was concerned that seemed a lot compared to others

they have replied to say my payments are to go down to £49 a month

and that i am £240 in credit?? , can i get this money back ? and if i can , is there any reason i shouldnt?

Thanks
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ask them for it back - when we had over paid I was offered a credit on my bill or a cheque - I chose a cheque.

If you read your meter a bit more often you'd be able to work out how much water you were using and make sure that your direct debit wasn't too high. It would also help you reduce your consumption and, not least, enable you to make sure you haven't any leaks.

I used to read mine monthly and found that in one month it had jumped by 35 cu.m due to a leak wasting £150 water and undermining the drive. I now read it weekly
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Ask them for it back - when we had over paid I was offered a credit on my bill or a cheque - I chose a cheque.

If you read your meter a bit more often you'd be able to work out how much water you were using and make sure that your direct debit wasn't too high. It would also help you reduce your consumption and, not least, enable you to make sure you haven't any leaks.

I used to read mine monthly and found that in one month it had jumped by 35 cu.m due to a leak wasting £150 water and undermining the drive. I now read it weekly

Thanks , i will do that , i am all over the gas and electric , but i think with water , as you know you cant switch it can get left behind , not any more , all valid points , cheers
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    Hi

I was paying £55 a month for a family of 4 in a standard end of terrace , i gave a meter reading last week as i was concerned that seemed a lot compared to others

they have replied to say my payments are to go down to £49 a month

and that i am £240 in credit?? , can i get this money back ? and if i can , is there any reason i shouldnt?

Thanks

What does the £240 credit actually relate to?
    i.e. When were you last billed?

If you were last billed say 5 months ago, then of course you should be in credit by about £275

But if you were billed today, and so after taking into consideration your consumption, you are still in £240 credit, then ask for it back if you wish.

If you don't like being in credit to your water supplier, why not pay the bills as they are produced? You don't need to pay monthly, there is presumably no value to you in paying monthly, and if budgetting is the only reason, then you would be better putting the money into a savings account and pocketing the interest yourself than allowing the water company to pocket such interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure