Wood burning stoves>

Options

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I would certainly ask your sweep. These chaps have usually seen more fires and stoves than you can shake a stick at and a good sweep can be a mine of information.

If you need a stove fitting, you need to check that the installation complies with Building Regulations. It is not mandatory that it be fitted by a HETAS registered installer, but it must comply with the regs. Your local council can probably advise.
  • mikes334
    Options
    I would checkout Chimney Liner Depot for help with fireplaces and chimney questions.
    Looking for chimney liners in Canada.
  • Grz.26
    Grz.26 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if your save money per year by having a wood burner?
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well prices from my supplier have gone up 22% due to supply and demand too little wood around and not enough suppliers
  • Grz.26
    Grz.26 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    22% wooo. So maybe cheaper to say with central heating what with installing the burner etc.
  • ventureuk
    Options
    Make sure you have your chimney lined - unfortunately this will be expensive. Probably several hundred pounds depending on the length of your flue.

There is a mantra amongst wood burning people about chimney lining.

Instead of assuming it must be done consult a HETAS installer who will offer advice appropriate for the age/ condition of the chimney and pull (airflow).

Then find a couple more installers and go with the consensus view.

You may be pleased to learn that your stack is sound and requires no liner just a new cowel and room vent.

There are fitters out there making hundreds of pounds fitting liners without ever examining the chimney but worrying the householder with tales of woe.
  • ventureuk
    Options
    Grz.26 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if your save money per year by having a wood burner?

Yes if you can source your fuel cheaply, in central London probably not but if you can seen field and trees from your window it's remarkable what you can pick up by asking around.
  • PDM1
    PDM1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a wood burner last year and can really say it has saved my gas bill on which i am now in credit with the gas company( first time ever!) yes they owe me money.
    yes you have to pay for the stove and accesories but it does pay in the long term if you can be bothered to find logs ect.
    the best present i was bought was a petrol chainsaw ( you need to be competent to use one and wear the saftey gear to use it). I also bought one of those garden storage shed, the green and cream plastic type you see in homebase ( £99) great for log storage although you need to leave the lid open slightly to let air circulate and logs to dry out. I left some logs outside to season over the summer ( yes it was summer!) and now put them inside the storage shed, I reackon I have enough now for this winter and I still have more to cut up. I am thinking of selling some as I will have more wood coming soon.
    I really do recommend one if you have the cash but be careful and shop around. yo uneed to size it correctly as well because an oversized (Kilo Watts) burner is no good if you cannot sit in front of it. the one I have is a Hawker Hunter 4kw model and is great for my living room.
    I bought mine on the internet and made a great saving!

Regards

Paul
  • twiglet98
    Options
    PDM1 wrote: »
    I really do recommend one if you have the cash but be careful and shop around. yo uneed to size it correctly as well because an oversized (Kilo Watts) burner is no good if you cannot sit in front of it. the one I have is a Hawker Hunter 4kw model and is great for my living room.
    I bought mine on the internet and made a great saving!

Did you order the stove AND its installation on the internet, or did you get a local firm to install it even though they didn't supply it? If the latter, do you mind me asking what it cost to have it installed? Did you need a flue liner supplied and installed as well?

Thanks
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    twiglet98 wrote: »
    Did you order the stove AND its installation on the internet, or did you get a local firm to install it even though they didn't supply it? If the latter, do you mind me asking what it cost to have it installed? Did you need a flue liner supplied and installed as well?

Thanks

If it's any help, Twiglet, I'm doing just that this coming week. The stove was supplied via an Internet company and my local sweep (who also installs stoves) is both fitting it and re-lining the chimney.

The liner (I didn't want one it but it's an ancient house and it does need it) has cost £500 (7" x 9 metres). I don't need a register plate as I already have one.

Fitting will be in the region of £350.

Do bear in mind that prices vary hugely across the country. In my experience, the best people to advise you are not stove companies, but experienced chimney sweeps - an opinion that was confirmed by the Solid Fuel Association's chimney expert a few weeks ago, when I asked his advice about a suggestion that had been made regarding my own chimney by an apparently 'expert' stove company!

Hope that's some help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport