Lemon tree and the lemon clan

Options
So a short introduction. I'm LT.
Longer introduction: I joined mse over 10 years ago with £43k non mortgage debt which I cleared by early 2012. Unfortunately I don't think i put my name down in the Roll of Honour. During the time I was following the DFW road i met and married Mr LT and just before getting debt free we upgraded from my one bed flat to a 3 bed house :beer: .
Since getting debt free two little Lemon seedlings have arrived DD and DS. Both are under 3 so we're officially nuts and permanently knackered.

The reason for this diary is that we really need to get our finances under control.
Whilst on my first mat leave i gave OH a credit card on my account and it's kind of gone to his head a bit. We always pay it off in full but it's gotten ridiculous just how much we're spending monthly on it and the last two months we've had to borrow from DD's savings to afford to pay it off. This will be my way of getting back on track and being responsible to myself.
Additional as of 1st Oct I will be the proud owner of a £6k pay cut for doing the same job. Don't you just love the public sector! I've worked it out as a net pay drop of £300 per month. I've been trying to get OH on board with budgeting but it feels like a losing battle is being waged.
Today the riot act was read and the credit card was removed.
We will pay back what we owe DD, get under a reduced budget and start saving madly so that we can build the extension we have planning permission for.
All friends are welcome and please feel free to nudge me when I'm sounding a bit unrealistic, it's quite some time since I was wholy on the DF wagon and I've probably forgotten more than I've remembered.
Sorry good for the essay.

Comments

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello and welcome (back) :D
    You know the drill, you've been here before
    You can and will do it and we will be happy to help
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Hello and welcome (back) :D
    You know the drill, you've been here before
    You can and will do it and we will be happy to help

From me too :D
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, feels good to be back 'home '.

Good habits that I still do:
    Lots of budgets and spreadsheets ��
    Bills such as insurances, car services, christmas and holidays are saved for monthly into various online pots.
    We're frugal with electricity usage etc - I'm obsessed with drying washing outside lol
    Yellow sticker shopping etc
    Things I need to start doing again: checking bank daily and updating said spreadsheet, hiding from a climbing credit card bill won't achieve anything.
    Stop wasting food
    Coming on here, maybe this should have been first.
    Get back into match funded betting
    Selling lots of baby stuff we will no long be needing
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello and good luck! Ouch for the pay cut.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Eeek to pay cut.
    That is dire.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Officially nuts and permanently knackered made me spit my tea out me dear - so fabulous you've got a wee diary to get going on the slashing and get that extension built!

Woo hoo the girls are back in town.

I'd offer any advice I can but I know when focussed you've got this MSE thing. Well done on reading riot act and getting sorted.

I'm taking a pay cut this year as I've dumped my second job - so I'm with you on fathoming how to do things on less money. We'll be grand I'm sure.

Happy shiny new diary me dear!
    PS I've gone back the old look forum can't fathom the new one.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck. I'm sure you'll do it. You sound very determined. I'm shocked that anybody is expected to take a £6k pay cut for doing the same job.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Found ya and subscribed! :T Good to have the gang back together again! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi LT!!! You got this!!!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all. Not sure how good I'll be at this this time around because it's not just me living on a shoestring.
    Management response to the paycut is, if you don't like it then leave you should consider yourself lucky to have a job! As I say it's fab working in the public sector.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure