Broken seal vodafone shop

Options
I went to collect a new PAYG phone from a Vodafone outlet today. The customer adviser came back with a box with a broken seal. I refused the phone and was pushed to take as it was " fine anyway". No explanation could be provided for why the seal was broken. I phoned the customer care line where a received the same answer: Just take the phone. In last resort I was advised to cancel my order and get a refund. I am very upset as spent nearly 2 hours between the travelling the arguing and the time on the phone. I don't see why I have to cancel my order since I haven't changed my mind about the phone.:( What are your thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not just open the box, check it, and if it was fine then take it?

There could have been any number of reasons it was open. Maybe it was opened in error? Or maybe it was opened due to a quality control check. Or maybe it was opened to show another customer who decided not to buy it. Or maybe none of those!

It seems you made an issue out of a non-situation. You didn't have to cancel your order at all. You chose to cancel it. Did you ask if they had another one?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We bought one from ASDA and they opened a box to show us the phone. Then ordered us a new one. But even then they opened it to show us the phone was there and all was well with it.

Seems a sensible approach when there are posts on the net saying they bought a stone or a book or similar. Even though it was sealed.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• gycraig_2
    Options
    Everyone wants to see the different colours but no one wants to buy a open box.
    This is normally fine except when they get to the last one that no one will take but that still shows as available for online orders.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bibiche38 wrote: »
    I went to collect a new PAYG phone from a Vodafone outlet today. The customer adviser came back with a box with a broken seal. I refused the phone and was pushed to take as it was " fine anyway". No explanation could be provided for why the seal was broken. I phoned the customer care line where a received the same answer: Just take the phone. In last resort I was advised to cancel my order and get a refund. I am very upset as spent nearly 2 hours between the travelling the arguing and the time on the phone. I don't see why I have to cancel my order since I haven't changed my mind about the phone.:( What are your thoughts? Thanks

The main problem if you take it as seen is when a sim card has already been inserted into the phone, you insert your sim card, turn on the phone and the phone does not boot into setup and has someone else's personalised settings already installed. Ok, you could reset the phone to the original factory settings but the inescapable fact is that the phone is not new. In such a circumstance of the seal being broken there should be an open box discount. But personally I would refuse the second-hand phone whether a discount is offered or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure