Halifax Clarity

Options
Hi everyone,

I've read all the overseas spending articles and I think I know how the Halifax Clarity Credit card works, but I just need some reassurance before I go away and rely on it! I have used it abroad before, but haven't felt confident enough to rely on it up to now.

Firstly, I've had this card for quite a few years. Do the rates and info in the MSE articles apply to all issues of the card, or just the latest issues?

I intend to spend on the card as much as possible when I'm abroad (Lanzarote) but I would like to withdraw some cash as soon as I get there to cover things that are easier to pay for in cash (and places that don't take cards). I'm thinking 100 euros to start with.

I just want to check I am right: It is cheaper to withdraw cash abroad with Halifax Clarity and pay the interest on cash withdrawals than exchange cash at a bureau de change in the UK and take that with me - is that right?

Thanks for humouring me!

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes that's right

But it's always wise to have more than one source of funds - another card, even if it's not a good one, can be invaluable if things go wrong with the Clarity. They probably won't, but you can't be sure
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've read all the overseas spending articles and I think I know how the Halifax Clarity Credit card works, but I just need some reassurance before I go away and rely on it! I have used it abroad before, but haven't felt confident enough to rely on it up to now.

Firstly, I've had this card for quite a few years. Do the rates and info in the MSE articles apply to all issues of the card, or just the latest issues?

I intend to spend on the card as much as possible when I'm abroad (Lanzarote) but I would like to withdraw some cash as soon as I get there to cover things that are easier to pay for in cash (and places that don't take cards). I'm thinking 100 euros to start with.

I just want to check I am right: It is cheaper to withdraw cash abroad with Halifax Clarity and pay the interest on cash withdrawals than exchange cash at a bureau de change in the UK and take that with me - is that right?

Thanks for humouring me!

Just clear the balance when you get home. No need to worry.

If you live in or near London, get a Metro debit card. Then you can use the debit card for withdrawals and the Clarity for purchases. An unbeatable combination.
    Always choose to pay in the local currency.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2014 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Thanks for confirming that for me. Yes, I ended up paying in pounds the first time I used it nervously, as I couldn't read the writing on the pin handset so gave it back after putting my PIN in. I realised after checking my receipt the woman had selected pounds without asking. Annoying first experience using a card abroad but lesson learnt!

One of the other things that put me off last time is that I hardly ever saw a card machine on the counters, so I wasn't sure if they took cards. It's almost like they were hiding the machines!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Spain is one of the worst places for retailers "choosing" DCC for you. When paying for stuff always state you want to be charged in Euros when handing your card over, and always check the receipt. If you've been charged in GBP having specified Euros insist on a chargeback or you'll report them for fraud.

Personally I find it less hassle to pay for most stuff in cash, at least with an ATM you're in control of what buttons are pressed.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Spain is one of the worst places for retailers "choosing" DCC for you. When paying for stuff always state you want to be charged in Euros when handing your card over, and always check the receipt. If you've been charged in GBP having specified Euros insist on a chargeback or you'll report them for fraud.

Personally I find it less hassle to pay for most stuff in cash, at least with an ATM you're in control of what buttons are pressed.

I'm the same. I've had too many bad experiences of DCC in Spain that I just find it easier to do almost all of my spending in cash. With cash it's also easier to keep track of how much you are spending each day.

In other countries, especially the USA, almost all spending goes on the Halifax card. I've never seen DCC offered in the States (are they aware that other currencies even exist?) and you can virtually live on plastic with only a handful of dollars needed for tips and vending machines.
  • purplestar133
    Options
    Just clear the balance when you get home. No need to worry.

I'm hoping to use internet banking via wifi when I'm abroad (I hoped that last time as well but I could never connect) to pay off the cash withdrawals as soon as possible.

As it takes a few days for debits to show on your account when you view it online, can I make a payment to cover it anyway, before it's showing up?
  • purplestar133
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »

Doshwaster wrote: »
    I'm the same. I've had too many bad experiences of DCC in Spain that I just find it easier to do almost all of my spending in cash. With cash it's also easier to keep track of how much you are spending each day.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Will probably decide based on how well the person serving me can understand English. Have already imagined problems communicating to them that I want to pay in Euros. That reminds me, must google how to pronounce 'Euros' in Spanish. I'm sure it's not like we pronounce it! I always plan to speak Spanish when I'm away (I remember the basics from A Level) but always chicken out!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2014 at 5:10PM
    Options
    I'm hoping to use internet banking via wifi when I'm abroad (I hoped that last time as well but I could never connect) to pay off the cash withdrawals as soon as possible.

As it takes a few days for debits to show on your account when you view it online, can I make a payment to cover it anyway, before it's showing up?
    You do realise that the interest works out at 3p per day per £100 withdrawn at the representative rate of 12.9% APR?

Even if they've put you on 21.9% APR, that's only 5p per day per £100 withdrawn.

There's moneysaving...and then there's moneysaving!

EDIT: And don't forget if you do waste valuable drinking/sunbathing/site seeing time trying to connect to Wi-Fi and pay off the balance, you'll have to pay off all amounts charged to the account, ie statemented purchases waiting to be paid by DD for example, in order to stop the interest accruing on the cash balance. See your T&Cs (condition 6.1 from memory).
  • purplestar133
    Options
    You do realise that the interest works out at 3p per day per £100 withdrawn at the representative rate of 12.9% APR?

Even if they've put you on 21.9% APR, that's only 5p per day per £100 withdrawn.

There's moneysaving...and then there's moneysaving!

I know, I know...:o I suppose I could stretch to that...

I should look into what rate they've got me on. I have had my card for quite a few years, don't know if that makes any difference.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2014 at 4:54PM
    Options
    I should look into what rate they've got me on. I have had my card for quite a few years, don't know if that makes any difference.
    It could do, because it's only in recent years they've been pricing for risk with their credit card products. Seem to remember when they launched the product there was only one APR.

BTW, did you see my edit re settling the entire balance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure