Phone calls - scam

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    peterx wrote: »
    I also have the same problem.I receive at least two calls everyday from so called Talktalk.The caller is a indian woman or man.I do not have caller display on my phones.I am with Plusnet. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Do a '1471' to see who the caller is.....
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 November 2016 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Talktalk have a call barring service at network level. IIRC, it needs enabling on your online account.

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-block-unwanted-callers

BTW I was quite impressed to find all of these features available on TT Landline for free...

Call Divert - Forward your calls to another landline or your mobile
    Reminder call - Never forget an important event again
    Call waiting - See when another number's trying you during a call.
    Ring back - Press a button to get a call when the line's free.
    Three way calling - Make plans with two friends at once.
    Caller Display - See who is calling before you answer.
    Anonymous Caller Reject - Rejects incoming calls from withheld numbers.
    Last Caller Barring - Bars the last caller from calling again.
    Withhold Number - Keep your number private when you call from home
    Voicemail Plus - Your own personal greeting.
    Mobile Bar - Block calls to mobile numbers
    Premium rate Bar - Block calls to premium rate numbers
    International Bar - Block calls to International numbers
    Ex-directory listing - No listing in the phonebook and 118 services.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You could always have a bit of fun and string 'Mary' or 'Gladys' along for a while.

No matter whom they claim to represent (Microsoft, BT, Barclays) they all have the same aim ie to get access to your computer or to extract bank details etc from you.

I have just helped someone out with a laptop that he allowed remote access to during a call from Talk Talk - yes they rang him! they also told him to delete his anti virus as it would update better if he installed it again from fresh, then because of all the messing about they gave him a credit of £50.

BUT would you believe it, they accidentally credited him £5000 and someone would loose their job over this. They got him to log onto his online banking, then his screen went blank. Luckily they were able to recall the money but advised him his bank would call his mobile to authorise the return of the £5000.

And yes, he did confirm the payment. So they took another £4500 - which for some unknown reason he also agreed to when the bank checked.

It was some time after the call when he started to get suspicious, he called Talk Talk who confirmed what we all know, they don't make calls like that. He then called his bank.

Thankfully the bank had not put the transactions through despite his confirmation and had placed the transactions as pending.

That's why they make those calls. There are still a few mugs out there.
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 8 November 2016 at 9:08AM
    Options
  • adom_thomas
    Options
    You can put your number in the list of DND (Do Not Disturb) to avoid these kinds of calls!
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Please be vigilant with scam callers. If you’re a TalkTalk customer you can report any numbers to us following our dedicated help site. There you can also find info our calling features and find what works best for you.

If you’re not a TalkTalk customer please report any nuisance calls to your current provider

Thanks
    Abbie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Makeandsave
    Options
    I get these phone calls every day now 7.15 am earliest so far upto 8pm, I know they are scams. They mask there numbers. Started to get death threats from them and even one of them laughed saying they are going to scam me. I dread the phone ringing now. Talktalk answer is to block all unknown and withheld numbers, but for medical reason i can not have that. The only thing left is to change the phone number. All this because TalkTalk can not look after my personally information. I have rang the ICO up and decided to take action against talktalk. Anyone had any luck taking action against them?
    Jan Wins: .
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    Please be vigilant with scam callers. If you’re a TalkTalk customer you can report any numbers to us following our dedicated help site. There you can also find info our calling features and find what works best for you.
    If you’re not a TalkTalk customer please report any nuisance calls to your current provider
    Thanks
    Abbie
    What do you mean "Please be vigilant with scam callers" ?
    "Vigilant" - keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties.
    This is not exactly helping is it ?

Your calling features only work with genuine callers and not foreign numbers - so nothing will prevent these fake numbers/foreign calls......unless YOU can bring in technology that will, which, surely must not be impossible.......
    Why did they begin in the first place ?
    Oh yes, it was the fact that TT was unable to protect our personal data from hackers and then deny that we were hacked !!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vigilant as in most of these scammers get the jackpot up by users who are not vigilant .
  • dprice1164
    dprice1164 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just had second scam phone call in two days from Asian male purporting to be from Talktalk.

He said our internet connection was showing problems on their servers and asked me to log onto my computer. Told him we didn't have a computer and he hung up :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure