Phone calls - scam

Options
We keep on getting scam calls from 00490273481563 - supposedly from TalkTalk re our internet service - the caller is an indian woman and it is starting to get annoying !
3 already this morning alone ...
I have reported the number to TalkTalk but can they block foreign calls ?
What is the best way forward ?

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your display shows the 'presentation number' programmed by the caller, not the actual identity of the calling line.

Where a legitimate callcentre calls you, your display will show the number they wish you to call back on should you be seeing this as a missed call. This will be a central 'inbound' call centre number.

Where a scammer calls you, the number shown on your display could be faked to show absolutely anything, and cannot be believed. Never rely on caller ID as proof of who is calling and never call back if the number starts 070, 084, 087 or 09, or is an international number.

Invest in a call blocker using trueCall technology and these people will no longer disturb your day.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT 8500 or BT8600 .
    Or just ignore the caller for a cheaper solution .
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    BT 8500 or BT8600 .
    Or just ignore the caller for a cheaper solution .

Thanks - but will the BT call blocking phones work properly on a non-BT network ?
    Obviously the basic call blocking will work via Call Dispklay but the article mentions "In further call-blocking news BT has recently announced that it's rolling out a new service to block even more calls. The service doesn't yet have a name but it essentially works just like the spam filter you have on your email account. BT will be using huge amounts of data to identify numbers that are making very large call volumes; it then diverts any calls from those numbers to a special voicemail box without bothering you" - which I am assuming is run by the actual network ?
  • Ian011
    edited 3 November 2016 at 9:50PM
    Options
    BT identifies and blocks some calls on their network. This is a separate function to that given by the Call Guardian phone handsets, and those handsets will work on any landline.

The trueCall technology in those handsets issues a verbal challenge to callers. Your phone rings only if, and after, they complete that challenge.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT8500/ 8600 you can have a whitelist as well as a blacklist .
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Panasonic phones also have a call blocking facility.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could always have a bit of fun and string 'Mary' or 'Gladys' along for a while.

No matter whom they claim to represent (Microsoft, BT, Barclays) they all have the same aim ie to get access to your computer or to extract bank details etc from you.
  • Ian011
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »

They do, but there's no comparison with effectiveness of the trueCall devices.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »

We do have a panasonic phone and I have input the (supposed) number - but, since it is not a normal 01*** number - I very much doubt whether the blocking will work
    That said - we have not had any more calls from that number in the last 48 hours !
  • peterx
    peterx Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I also have the same problem.I receive at least two calls everyday from so called Talktalk.The caller is a indian woman or man.I do not have caller display on my phones.I am with Plusnet. Any advice would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure