From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That should be fun! What's the betting there are baked beans on the menu? :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are obviously giving it some thought. I think explaining the amount they had to spend and showing that if I multiplied it by 7 and added on the cost of breakfast and lunches, it mounts up to a larger figure. That was a bit of an eye opener I think, except for DS1 who remembered the cost of the trolley last time he came to Tesco with me! One DD obviously walks round Tesco with me but just doesn't see any numbers as her first reaction was saying she needed to check prices!! I'm hoping it will be a valuable exercise for them and get DD1 into thinking about budgets ahead of her student days.

I managed to download the C25K app, so just need to get some trainers sorted and I hope to begin!

DD1 has been asked back for the summer by her previous employer. I'm pleased for her as she really enjoyed her job last year. I'm hoping she can save half of her wages to give herself a buffer before term starts.

On a downside of debt sorting, I've had to pull out of a school trip abroad. When I added on costs of passport, insurance and spending money, my budget simply will not stretch. It is frustratingly disappointing as I would love DS to go but it just can't be done at this time. Thankfully DS had been ambivalent about going (He had mentioned worry about safety in light of events within the last 12 months) but I still feel bad for him. He has been on trips like school camp so hasn't missed out entirely but even so...
    Juggling debt and family life is a fine balancing act.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    A busy week begins tomorrow, with DD1 starting work and DS1 beginning his 2 week work placement. The DDs seem to be taking the food challenge quite seriously. DD1 came to Tescos with me yesterday and was able to get her ingredients with 25p to spare. looks like we've got chicken curry with rice followed by watermelon for dessert. DD2 and 3 are being a little more guarded about their menu plans. DS1 is delighted to have discovered that the local village shop sells frozen pizzas for £1 so looks like it's pizza night. It's quite interesting that despite me cooking from scratch for the majority of our meals, the children are veering towards frozen and convenience foods. Perhaps time I did cooking lessons more so that they can understand how to eat more economically. I am pleased that they taken on this challenge. DD1 is happy to do one meal a week throughout the summer.

I have huge amounts of work to get through in the next 3 weeks which is somewhat daunting.

Last week turned out to be more spendy thanI had wanted. DS1 needed new shoes as his had literally fallen to pieces. The dog had chewed through DD5's shoes so she's ended up with a pair of canvas lace up pumps from the Te3co shoe sale to tide her over to the end of term.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I am thankful for the flowers growing at the moment. Yesterday I was able to pick some sweet peas and calendulas, mix with a bit of alchemilla Millie and some briza to make a small bunch of flowers. I used an old cup that had its handle break off and utilised it as a vase. Simple pleasures.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Another busy week at work done. The bulk of the busyness is done for now. The food challenge has been interesting. DD1 did a lovely curry and the watermelon for dessert was great. I'd never thought of doing that before but I can see that will be on the menu again. DS2 stood in for DD2 and did waffles, baked beans and sausages followed by peaches and icecream for his choice. He is only 11 so I was impressed that he wanted to take part and pleased he was interested to cook the meal. It was pizzas all round on DS1's day but he ended up doing a 12 hour day at his work experience placement. The lengths some will go to, to avoid cooking!

Two of the children had friends round yesterday so I spent a couple of hours replenishing the snack tins. I made flapjacks, chocolate muffins, blueberry muffins, banana bread and a lemon drizzle cake. DD4 and her friend made a syrup sponge cake for pudding which was good. Hopefully enough done to cover packed lunches this week.

The allotment is in a shocking mess with the amount of weeds. I've had so little time with work commitments but am hoping that I can get there more this week. The tomatoes are all in flower in the greenhouse. I was able to pick some gooseberries and made a gooseberry and elderflower cobbler, using the homemade elderflower cordial. Unfortunately I was too late to harvest the jostaberries. One minute they were just looking as though a couple more days would ripen them, then gone. There are quite a few birds that will have enjoyed those. I know I should probably net them, but it's an expense I can't manage at the moment.

Nursery fees are the money worry this week. I need to pay £500 to complete this term. Always feel a bit odd paying them. I'd much rather be home with the toddler but know I can't as bills have to be paid but nursery fees is one of those bills! Hoping that in a years time these fees will ease as the toddler will have 15 hours nursery funding by then.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    So glad of a warm and sunny day and a DD at home to be able to peg out the washing while I was at work!,
    The food challenge with the children continued today. DD3 knew the budget but wanted to do chicken fajitas so we stocked up the basket. It's been so interesting this challenge, whichever child has cooked has been so appreciative of the thought that goes into a menu plan and the juggling act of sticking to a budget.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The food challenge is a great idea. We used to make our daughters cook once a week each when they were at school doing A levels to get them used to catering at university. Good life skills to encourage, meal planning, budgeting (looking at food prices) and cooking.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I've been surprised at their enthusiasm and hope it will help to prepare them for life, especially DD1.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds as though the children are rising to the challenge! Have you come across a website called 'student recipes'? Some marvellous stuff on there including a treacle sponge pudding that you make in a mug in next to no time.
    P.S. I just found something called 'bra pudding' on there! The instructions make me think someone tried it without the clingfilm first time... :eek::rotfl:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    No, will have to look at that. Syrup pudding is a favourite in our house. If DS1 knew you could make it in a mug, he would be thrilled and eat nothing else...!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family