PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Trouble selling house due to nuisance neighbour *Please Help*

Options
Hi,
I have my terraced property on the market. I currently live in quite a popular area and have had ample interest and viewings since putting my house up for sale.
Only problem is the next door neighbour. She has 3 dogs, 2 of which bark constantly at any time of the day or night, sometimes for hours on end.
She herself has a drink problem and can be intoxicated any time of the day.
She smokes weed on a regular basis.
Her back garden is a mess with a converted burger van dumped in the middle of it, which is an absolute eye sore, it was acquired last summer and used to get drunk in for a few months now sits unused in said garden to just rot.
She has a 12 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD who shouts/swears at the top of his voice mostly between 7.30pm - midnight. Taken out of school a year ago to be ‘home schooled’. That itself is a joke.
Our house has been on the market for 3 months now and the feedback from viewings is always very positive with the one deciding factor being the next door neighbour.
I have tried so many different ways of resolving this matter as I know I have to disclose any information to potential buyers. I am an honest person and wouldn’t hide any of these facts. I would rather be disclosing it as a resolved matter rather than an ongoing ‘problem’.
She has been irritating for 5 years now mostly we have been able to ignore the disruptions but the last year has been absolute hell since she acquired the dogs. They are untrained, never exercised and sit in the horrible stone floor garden surrounded by a near 7ft poorly erected wooden fence. She has had 2 of the 3 dogs from pups so they know no other way of life and spend their days barking through boredom and being unaware of the outside world.
So far I have contacted the RSPCA, who were powerless to act as the dogs are of reasonably good health.
I have contacted the dog warden who is useless.
I have contacted the police via 101, on several occasions, to report the weed. No action has been taken.
My local council were unable to pursue the ‘human noise’ complaint I raised of to the child shouting/swearing at all hours of the day.
Am I missing something? I seem to have gotten nowhere in my quest to resolve these matters. The main concern being the constant dog barking.
Myself and my family are literally prisoners in our own home here and feel intimidated by this. Myself and my partner both work and are bringing up our young daughter in these unacceptable conditions. How is anyone going to buy my house??
It is such a shame as we have had an offer on our dream home accepted and we are desperate to resolve the problems with our neighbour in order to sell our property and move into the new house.
Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this post. Anyone with experience in this themselves or anyone with any suggestions please reply!!!

Many Thanks
Mike

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    mikul182 wrote: »
    Myself and my family are literally prisoners in our own home here and feel intimidated by this. Myself and my partner both work and are bringing up our young daughter in these unacceptable conditions. How is anyone going to buy my house??

Unfortunately this is the crux of it, who is going to want to live next to such an awful person.

My advice would be to market it as low as you could possibly accept in order to maybe appeal to a BtL landlord who isn't bothered about who his tenants have to endure.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All I can think of is to lower the price or sell at auction.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you drop the price enough I'm sure a landlord will take it off your hands.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mikul182 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have my terraced property on the market. I currently live in quite a popular area and have had ample interest and viewings since putting my house up for sale.
    Only problem is the next door neighbour. She has 3 dogs, 2 of which bark constantly at any time of the day or night, sometimes for hours on end.
    She herself has a drink problem and can be intoxicated any time of the day.
    She smokes weed on a regular basis.
    Her back garden is a mess with a converted burger van dumped in the middle of it, which is an absolute eye sore, it was acquired last summer and used to get drunk in for a few months now sits unused in said garden to just rot.
    She has a 12 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD who shouts/swears at the top of his voice mostly between 7.30pm - midnight. Taken out of school a year ago to be ‘home schooled’. That itself is a joke.
    Our house has been on the market for 3 months now and the feedback from viewings is always very positive with the one deciding factor being the next door neighbour.
    I have tried so many different ways of resolving this matter as I know I have to disclose any information to potential buyers. I am an honest person and wouldn’t hide any of these facts. I would rather be disclosing it as a resolved matter rather than an ongoing ‘problem’.
    She has been irritating for 5 years now mostly we have been able to ignore the disruptions but the last year has been absolute hell since she acquired the dogs. They are untrained, never exercised and sit in the horrible stone floor garden surrounded by a near 7ft poorly erected wooden fence. She has had 2 of the 3 dogs from pups so they know no other way of life and spend their days barking through boredom and being unaware of the outside world.
    So far I have contacted the RSPCA, who were powerless to act as the dogs are of reasonably good health. - Indeed. Which is the correct answer
    I have contacted the dog warden who is useless. - Indeed. Which is the correct answer
    I have contacted the police via 101, on several occasions, to report the weed. No action has been taken. - Indeed. Which is the correct answer (personal use of marijuana is pretty much decriminalised)
    My local council were unable to pursue the ‘human noise’ complaint I raised of to the child shouting/swearing at all hours of the day. - If the child has a recognised condition it's to be expected that they cant take action
    Am I missing something? I seem to have gotten nowhere in my quest to resolve these matters. The main concern being the constant dog barking.
    Myself and my family are literally prisoners in our own home here and feel intimidated by this. Myself and my partner both work and are bringing up our young daughter in these unacceptable conditions. How is anyone going to buy my house?? - Well for a lot less than you're selling it for I suspect
    It is such a shame as we have had an offer on our dream home accepted and we are desperate to resolve the problems with our neighbour in order to sell our property and move into the new house.
    Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this post. Anyone with experience in this themselves or anyone with any suggestions please reply!!!

Many Thanks
    Mike

Unfortunately (or fortunately) you cant dictate someone else's life choices. Whilst it is frustrating for you and I sympathise. It's not your place or mine to dictate what other people do in their own home.

Dogs bark, kids do swear (especially kids with issues) and people do take drugs (rightly or wrongly)
  • mikul182
    mikul182 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    We have already lowered the asking price to generate more interest. We are a young family and this is our first home so you can appreciate the position we are in.
  • weather83
    Options
    You could try reporting the dog barking to Environmental Health as a noise complaint. It may help if other neighbours do the same. However, councils are stretched, and it could take months to resolve.

It sounds like you've done almost everything you can. I think you can either stay put and keep battling to resolve the issues or you cut your losses and lower the price until someone bites.

I'd go for the latter. You could stay and have months (years?) of stress battling to sort the neighbour issues out. And there's no guarantee of success. Meanwhile, the price of houses you want to buy goes up.

As suggested above, auction/targeting BTL buyers is a good bet.
  • mikul182
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) you cant dictate someone else's life choices. Whilst it is frustrating for you and I sympathise. It's not your place or mine to dictate what other people do in their own home.

Dogs bark, kids do swear (especially kids with issues) and people do take drugs (rightly or wrongly)

Thank you for the reply. Dogs do bark correct, but if its excessive and causing a nuisance, then there should be a way of dealing with it.
  • LMS123
    LMS123 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have so much sympathy for you and, reading this, feel anger on your behalf. It's something I dread when my neighbours move and you don't know who is going to be living next door. I have no answer except about the dogs. You can complain to the council, but it's a pain. The council then write to the dog owner and say there's been a complaint. You, on the other hand, have all the work to do making a daily record of the noise, how much, how long it lasts each time etc. After 3 months you submit the record to the council and they decide whether or not to take it further.
    Doesn't help you if you want to sell ASAP. It's ridiculous that you should suffer financially because your neighbour behaves antisocially. Regarding the mess in the garden, the council won't act unless it is an environmental hazard e.g.attracting vermin. I'll be interested to see how you get on.
  • mikul182
    Options
    weather83 wrote: »
    You could try reporting the dog barking to Environmental Health as a noise complaint. It may help if other neighbours do the same. However, councils are stretched, and it could take months to resolve.

It sounds like you've done almost everything you can. I think you can either stay put and keep battling to resolve the issues or you cut your losses and lower the price until someone bites.

I'd go for the latter. You could stay and have months (years?) of stress battling to sort the neighbour issues out. And there's no guarantee of success. Meanwhile, the price of houses you want to buy goes up.

As suggested above, auction/targeting BTL buyers is a good bet.

Thank you for the reply. I have contacted the environmental health who put me in contact with the dog warden. I am in the middle of filling out my 2nd lot of noise monitoring sheets which itself is highly stressful and frustrating. I have complained on 3 separate occasions also two other neighbours have each complained at least once and each time we have been told that they would write to the occupant of the address to inform them of the complaint. That means she would of received 5 of these letters yet it doesn't seem to bother her as she has taken no action.
  • waveneygnome
    Options
    I know you have already seen a potential 'new' house to buy, but have you considered doing a 'part-exchange' with one of the bigger house builders?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure