Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• DownTime
    DownTime Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Link without an affiliate ID; http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-insurance

Note that some things are only mentioned in the small print.

Bettersafe's Annual Worldwide (inc. CDW & SLI) includes CDW up to US$100,000 worldwide. That isn't reflected on the main page, though you can see it once you click through to the small print.
  • deepdale56
    deepdale56 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Check its included. More and more companies now sell it at the counter as an 'extra'. Or check it's included in your own policy for hire cars abroad.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    deepdale56 wrote: »
    Check its included. More and more companies now sell it at the counter as an 'extra'. Or check it's included in your own policy for hire cars abroad.

Not quite right. They probably have basic breakdown cover included, but don't make it entirely clear as to what is not included in the basic breakdown service. Generally the things that can be construed as your fault, are not included.
    Generally, if the car breaks down because of a mechanical fault, there are liable. But it something can be construed as your fault, such as locking the keys in the car, running out of petrol etc....

So check what is included in their extra breakdown cover and then look for that in your car hire excess policy.
  • marie.a.londres
    Options
    Can someone help?

I have a full, clean, UK driving license & reside in the UK. I also have an Annual, Worldwide, 31 day Car Hire Excess Insurance from Eversure. I also have comprehensive travel insurance and a further car hire damage insurance with my credit card.

We will be hiring a car in Canada for 2 weeks. It is clear that the policy with Eversure (and the credit card insurance policy) cover us for up to US 50,000 of damage to the rental vehicle - so the value of the car we hired is covered -- no problem there.

The issue is that neither the travel insurance or the car hire policies include 'personal liability' otherwise sometimes called 'public liability' ... so if a pedestrian or cyclists throws him/herself in front of the car, and then sues us, we have no cover -- What do others do? How can we obtain cover for this risk?

If you reply, please sign you post - I have seen a lot of replies to these kinds of queries that appear to be a sales representative for Bettersafe.

Many thanks, Marie
  • WAYT
    Options
    Can someone help?

I have a full, clean, UK driving license & reside in the UK. I also have an Annual, Worldwide, 31 day Car Hire Excess Insurance from Eversure. I also have comprehensive travel insurance and a further car hire damage insurance with my credit card.

We will be hiring a car in Canada for 2 weeks. It is clear that the policy with Eversure (and the credit card insurance policy) cover us for up to US 50,000 of damage to the rental vehicle - so the value of the car we hired is covered -- no problem there.

The issue is that neither the travel insurance or the car hire policies include 'personal liability' otherwise sometimes called 'public liability' ... so if a pedestrian or cyclists throws him/herself in front of the car, and then sues us, we have no cover -- What do others do? How can we obtain cover for this risk?

If you reply, please sign you post - I have seen a lot of replies to these kinds of queries that appear to be a sales representative for Bettersafe.

Many thanks, Marie

That is a rather nasty accusation. The point of the forum is to post the best deals.

There are only a few options in the market that offer CDW & SLI. So you can pay a little more with https://www.carhireexcess.com or take an annual policy: http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance

Yuk!
  • marie.a.londres
    Options
    Hi Yuk,

it wasn't an accusation it was a statement of my rather well founded perception... If you find it 'nasty' ... perhaps it is because the hat fits your head? ... the point of the forum, in my view is to inform -

Please refrain from insulting polite posters!
  • WAYT
    Options
    Hi Yuk,

it wasn't an accusation it was a statement of my rather well founded perception... If you find it 'nasty' ... perhaps it is because the hat fits your head? ... the point of the forum, in my view is to inform -

Please refrain from insulting polite posters!

No one would here insult someone polite.
    On the other hand, ill mannered, accusatory people full of a sense of entitlement are quite another issue. Which is why their questions are usually ignored on this forum.
    I on the other hand, overcame my nausea and provided an answer to your question. Unfortunately, due to your not so well though out reply, the feelings of nausea have returned.
    It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.
    Now excuse me as I have to go to throw up. Enjoy your holiday in Canada and be sure to obtain Liability Insurance, in order to ensure that if and when you do harm to others that you are able to pay for it.
    Have a nice day.

Bluergh!
  • D.n.turner
    Options
    I fly to Orlando next month for two weeks with family. I have car hire through Alamo from the travel company and basic third party insurance. Should I be concerned when I get there I'm going to be asked to pay out more for different insurance packages and fees? What's the best thing to do?
  • WAYT
    Options
    D.n.turner wrote: »
    I fly to Orlando next month for two weeks with family. I have car hire through Alamo from the travel company and basic third party insurance. Should I be concerned when I get there I'm going to be asked to pay out more for different insurance packages and fees? What's the best thing to do?

When you book from the UK as a UK citizen, you should be fully covered, unless it's a Fly/Drive deal.
    If it's a FlyDrive thing, you'll need to buy CDW. Better still CDW with SLI/EP.

https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection with CDW & SLI
    https://www.carhireexcess.com/ with their Supplemental Liability add on.
    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance

Don't neglect Quidco/TopCashBack.

Then you only be left with some taxes and airport fees.

Look here for full details on Fly/Drive
  • trixxi
    trixxi Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I am looking for car hire from alicante airport. 4 adults and luggage was hoping we could all drive the car whilst there.
    doea anyone have any advice on who to use or not to use please.
    Dates are 9th August till 21st Aug
    Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport