Single Occupier

Options
I know you get a 25% for single occupier on council tax, but I wondered if you did on water rates too.

I've noticed something on the Brighton & Hove website that indicates this, but I'm in a different area of the country.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No - water has no bearing on your Council Tax, likewise Council Tax has no bearing on your water.

To save money get a meter and make sure you don't waste water. A single person will almost invariably pay less with a meter than if you are on a Rateable Value tariff.

Check your water company's website for charges in your area. If you put up your water company on this site I'm sure someone could do a quick calculation for you
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    No - water has no bearing on your Council Tax, likewise Council Tax has no bearing on your water.

To save money get a meter and make sure you don't waste water. A single person will almost invariably pay less with a meter than if you are on a Rateable Value tariff.

Check your water company's website for charges in your area. If you put up your water company on this site I'm sure someone could do a quick calculation for you

It's Affinity Water and I pay £36 a month I think. I just thought I'd ask as while doing something for work, I came across it on the Southern Water website. Wary of a meter as I have two young children who might leave a tap running or something (not that they ever have, but still...)
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with the above answer. I have had a meter for quite a few years now. Even with a lodger in my house it is probably cheaper than the rateable charge. it certainly was as a single user. I am with Thames Water and pay £23 a month at the moment.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We're finding a water meter a lot cheaper.

We used to live in a Thames Water area on the rates system and paid £44 a month for a 2 bed flat, no garden

We moved towns and new company is South East Water and we have a meter. We now pay £24 a month for a 3 bed house with garden

We're 2 adults, 1 child
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's Affinity Water and I pay £36 a month I think. I just thought I'd ask as while doing something for work, I came across it on the Southern Water website. Wary of a meter as I have two young children who might leave a tap running or something (not that they ever have, but still...)

How are you a single occupier ??? 1+2 = 3

Even with a tap running for a few hours it should still be cheaper and you have a year to try or revert .Regions vary but as a true single occupier i pay about £220 per year .
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 March 2017 at 3:02PM
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    How are you a single occupier ??? 1+2 = 3
    .. .

Presumably the OP is saying 'single occupant' as they are eligible for the single occupancy council tax discount.

But there is no similar discount that I know of for water.*
    And if you are on a meter, you will pay for every drop measured; the meter does not know who turned on the tap.

* The reference made in the OP to Southern water is for those few customers who are charged on an assessed basis.
    i.e usually where a meter cannot be feasibly fitted for some particular reason . There is no discount for unmetered properties I can see (properties where a meter could be fitted if requested, but no request has been made)

If the OP is of limited income, then Affinity Water operate a Low Income Fixed Tariff scheme (LIFT) to assist those with limited means who may otherwise struggle to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure