Child Maintenance and Salary Sacrifice Pension

Options
Hi All,

My ex is a financial advisor very shrewd about his pension.

The last five years or so my Child Maintenance has reduced further (by £100 2 years ago, then an further £100 recently).

I am convinced he is purposefully reducing his relevant earnings through salary sacrifice but the CSA (and now the CMS) don't seem equipped to be able to investigate this or get their heads around. I worked out the earnings they are using are the same as mine. There's no way he's earning the same as I do: this would mean his earnings would have more than halved from 10 years ago, and he is now at a much high-level in his job. So I'm sure he's diverting income through salary sacrifice - as theres no cap on how much you can put into your pension or do salary sacrifice is there anything I can do..? I

Is there anyone in the same situation as me? I am raising our child on a single household income working full time - he has 2 incomes in his household and is supporting his new part-time working partner and their new child: I feel like I am subsidising them and my child is being shortchanged not only finically but also because I have to work long hours to support my son.

Anyone else in a similar situation re the salary sacrifice?

Thanks

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    You aren't subsidising them.

However as they have a child the amount you get goes down.

There isn't much you can do if he's putting more into pension etc.
  • starsandbutterflys
    Options
    The amount we get each month has been further reduced as a result of his new child - of course we are subsiding them - they have a combined household income of more than 4 times my own.

The pension rules are also wrong - why should a person use the pension loophole to be able to invest however much they want in to their retirement, reducing relevant [CMS] earnings through salary sacrifice at a cost to the a receiving child's standard of living -0 I'm staggered this has been allowed to happen for so long - some warped version of social justice
  • sfm82
    sfm82 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might be better off posting this on the child support board, there are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on there.
  • starsandbutterflys
    Options
    Thanks, I will look for this board
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills