MoneySaving Poll: Should the UK stay in the EU?

Options

Comments

• scottme
    scottme Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    asdr14 wrote: »
    This is an interesting vote and has a good number of people for a sample. Any chance the powers that be could add a running total for yes and no at the bottom of each section and a complete total then at the bottom? Thanks!! :)

Why am I seeing all the "s"s in this post and all the preceding ones, but not the following ones, as exclamation marks???

I've tried a different browser and see exactly the same thing.

Strangely, when I preview this reply the quote doesn't show the exclamations.
  • scottme
    scottme Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Oldbiggles wrote: »
    Well said!
    I couldn't agree more with your whole post.
    The problem with David Cameron's attempt to renegotiate UK terms is that he not only has to contend with Merkle, he also has to jump to the tune of Obama who wants the UK to stay in the EU purely as a benefit to the USA.

I couldn't agree less!

It says something about how much you understand the EU that you can't even spell the German Chancellor's name correctly. The reason Cameron will struggle with Merkel is that his arguments are incredibly weak, added to which he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the box of EU leaders.

It's clear that the UK cannot continue as a semi-detached member of the EU. Why on earth should the other member countries agree to the UK becoming an even less committed and engaged member of the EU?

I see the referendum as a good thing because it will force a decision. Personally I will be campaigning and voting for the UK to remain a member, and I hope that once this is settled (and if the remain side wins), we will start to properly embrace membership and join in, to positive effect, rather than continuing to sit on the sidelines, neither wholly in nor wholly out, throwing rocks at the others.

And by the way why would Obama do anything that was not to the benefit of the USA? Is the UK a charity that he should donate to?
  • Tony_Jackson
    Options
    I wonder how long it took to figure out such an opaque way of presenting the results?

Presumably this is intentional, also the use of '!' in place of 's' in some of the supporting material.

But srely, if you can't afford colour, you could at least set the bars 'in-left' and 'out-right', and offer some totals for each country? And perhaps indicate the proportion of the population the poll represents in each country? You might consider a graphical representation - x-axis for age, y-axis for votes, or percentages?

As to the poll itself, I found it hard to decide. Should right-thinking people vote to stay, in the fanciful belief that eventually Europe will either teach us to govern ourselves for the benefit of a fair proportion of the population, or probably more helpful, simply take over the job of governing the UK, in the light of our surprising loss of the knack of doing it ourselves.

Or should one vote to leave, in the hope of limiting the harm being done to the rest of the EU by the UK. And then up sticks to go and live somewhere better oneself?

Hard to decide (and the presentation of this poll is no help!)
  • Oldbiggles
    Options
    [QUOTE=scottme;69376764

And by the way why would Obama do anything that was not to the benefit of the USA? Is the UK a charity that he should donate to?[/QUOTE]

Obama should quite rightly look after the interests of the USA but NOT at the expense of the UK, he must think that the UK is just another USA state, the way he gets Cameron to jump to his tune.
    Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I definitely want out of the EU.

For starters our prices will go down 20% with the removal of VAT - something I have always been very angry about and very against.

Taxes will never be removed once implemented, not as a result of leaving the EU or anything short of total reform. If this government or any previous UK government had genuinely wanted to shift the tax burden away from ordinary people to the higher earners where it belongs then they would have done, even if they had to do it in another way. (Maybe you are saying this from the perspective of a vat paying business, but I'm sure they'll introduce more paperwork to replace that, too)

I find the poll results interesting but concerning. Seems that younger people want to stay and older people want to leave. I suppose it's same with all voting but it feels unfair to me that the country I'll raise my children in could have been ruined by people who will be dead by then and not even around to "enjoy" it. Of course, they'd say that they can compare to their lives before the EU and I can't so I have no idea how much better things could be, which is also reasonable. I think this is the trend in the wider population too (MSE users aren't necessarily representative). I've had this conversation with my granddad a few times.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It's a sizeable poll, and its interesting that in this sample only the Scots want to remain in the EU.

If the UK votes to leave the EU, then there will be a second referendum and Scotland will vote to split from RUK.

Personally, I would be happy with that result and think it would be good for the three remaining countries.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which model will England use?

Switzerland or the EEA model like Norway?
    Either way, fax democracy here we come.
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It's a sizeable poll, and its interesting that in this sample only the Scots want to remain in the EU.

If the UK votes to leave the EU, then there will be a second referendum and Scotland will vote to split from RUK.

Personally, I would be happy with that result and think it would be good for the three remaining countries.
  • Stonker
    Stonker Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 October 2015 at 5:30PM
    Options
    There are so many reasons to leave. The interesting thing is that the people that want to leave mainly want to do so because they want to preserve their right to self governance. They believe that the laws of our country should be under the control of our own gov't and not written in Brussels.

The people campaigning to remain will attempt to justify it based on a massive lie that 3M jobs will be lost because the EU will stop trading with us. This is nothing short of scaremongering. The EU did over €4Tr of trade with countries outside of the EU last year employing 30M people and has over 50 Free Trade Agreements. They will also attempt to confuse your subconscious mind by referring to 'Europe' rather than the 'EU', there is a massive difference.

More information here:

https://www.facebook.com/UKtoStayintheEUdoesntallowfreespeech?ref=tn_tnmn
  • mykingfu
    Options
    I was extremely surprised to see so many of the younger generation voting to stay in the EU, as I thought they were more savvy and politically educated than us older lot. It seems that no age group is immune from the government brain washing and political spin seen in the media.
    I would say to ANYBODY who thinks we should stay in the EU - Do some research (real research does not include what you read in the tabloids and see on BBC news) and check how much the EU costs us and what we actually get for this money. Ask why the EUs unelected officials have not once produced yearly audited accounts (surely illegal) to show where all the money actually goes...
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some very good information out today from the CBI on why arrangements other than full EU membership have serious downsides:
    • Being like Switzerland means limited access to the EU single market only and where we comply with EU rules

• Being like Norway means following European Union rules but having no say

• Being like Turkey would leave us with no influence in the EU or in global trade deals

• Working through the World Trade Organization would mean the return of tariffs and taxes on trade

• Even a special UK-EU Free Trade Agreement would put trade at risk and reduce our influence over the rules

Read more on http://news.cbi.org.uk/business-issues/uk-and-the-european-union/choosing-our-future/alternatives/

The above is part of a comprehensive assessment also looking at other aspects: http://news.cbi.org.uk/business-issues/uk-and-the-european-union/choosing-our-future/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure