Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    keeping them both makes sense, i think, and i wouldn't be surprised if that 0.5% is chipped away at. and as above, i reckon Lloyds-Amex will be on the way out too. for spending Amex Amex becomes the more clear choice, with MBNA and Barclaycard still the strongest BT players.

Nationwide is probably slightly safer as it's a product for 'loyal' members - a cross subsidy from other products will be taken into account.
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Got my letters as well. Will have a look at that TSB card, thanks! :T

Good timing too, amended the DD for my Barclaycard, got a letter saying the next DD would not be taken off it so need a manual payment (this was in early April, right after previous payment). I thought it was curious why over three weeks was not enough notice, so called their customer service three days before DD date and they advised that I'd still have to make a payment manually, so I did.

Well, what happened today? The DD came off the account. :mad: Have contacted Barclaycard to get the second payment refunded, hope they action it soon..not feeling the love towards them at the moment..
  • Rcdadaptor
    Rcdadaptor Posts: 10 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Never really used it as I also had Amex Platinum CB paying 1.25%. Only times I did were for Barclaycard Fee Free Friday tix, where it made sense to get Fee free tickets and 1% on the BC Amex rather than the 0.5% BC Visa. All originated from my (once great) Egg Card, but I'll probably rationalise it down to Amex and Bank credit card as back up when Amex is declined. That still often happens at small retailers / restaurants / dentists and car mechanics, although not for most of my purchases.
    Barclaycard have been pretty good for cashback, and you could always draw it down, whereas with my version of full Amex its only once a year. Amex yields c£200 pa for nowt, and they have some great offers from time to time.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    It was a sad day for me to receive that letter....

For me it was a very clear and simple card to use, I found most retailers recently were opening the door to accepting Amex and most of my supermarket shopping, fuel and even holidays being charged to it. The only supermarkets that didn't seem to accept it were the discounters like Lidl and Aldi, that's where the Visa for 0.5% would kick in.

I've always found the Amex cards to be complicated- I have a Platinum and a Blue Amex (previously Gold oddly) they've got various tiered rates for different amounts of spending. I can see I'm going to have to sit down with a pen and paper and re-visit the Amex options.. I seem to remember a 1.25% option that had a card fee - I'll have to look again..

With all the changes to the Santander 123 account and massive fee increase to the 123 Credit Card. Remember the Capital One changes? It really does feel like a kick in the stomach! Anybody have any positive news?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    Ohh apologies for the double post but just thought of the M&S card that Martin mentioned in the weekly newsletter- £30 Cashback and a £5 voucher.
    Accepted new M&S credit card* holders get a competitive 25 months 0% on spending, just a few months shy of the longest cards. Plus those who apply via our link by Wed 31 May and spend at least £100 on it by Fri 30 Jun will get £30 cashback - though only do your normal spending on it.

Ok, you don't get massive ongoing benefits, but I suppose if you get a good enough credit limit, you could leave your cash in your current account earning 1.5% for a couple of years and benefit from the interest free period..

Something to think about?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have the M&S Card currently too. they have only given me a £2k limit though, so the IFP is not very useful :undecided
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Nationwide is probably slightly safer as it's a product for 'loyal' members - a cross subsidy from other products will be taken into account.

an interesting thought. might go back to Nationwide again at some stage. never had a gold card.. and i think they still issue them.

as it stands though, if i were to be ready to move a balance to Barclaycard i think i'd just use Amex Cashback for all spending i could and either use MBNA as back-up to keep it 'live' or just pay with a debit card for the rare places that don't accept Amex.
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    i have the M&S Card currently too. they have only given me a £2k limit though,.......

That's my only concern too, I've applied been accepted but the paperwork they sent out asking me to sign, says you will be informed of your credit limit at a later stage, that seems quit odd to me, they are asking you to sign up to a credit card, without giving you the full t and c's.

If they send mine out with a silly limit, then it's back over to Amex..

Just found out from them that my Blue card pays 0.5% upto £3,500 and a flat 1% over that.. that's an old Gold legacy card and don't think is available anymore to new applications

• iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    TheEffect wrote: »
    I thought the Lloyds Avios card could be churned for the sign up bonus similar to the AMEX Avios and Gold Card. Turns out you only get the double Avios sign up bonus once with Lloyds, unlike the sign up bonus with AMEX, that you get every 6 months if you close/reopen the account.

Hmm although surely they would get wise to someone cynically cancelling and re-applying lol
  • dadrock
    dadrock Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Been here since Egg days too.
    I guess I'll be looking for the "best for me" 0.5% card now.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,476 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm although surely they would get wise to someone cynically cancelling and re-applying lol
    Apparently not, there's communities of people who've done it several times now.

Amex USA made all the sign up bonuses one time only a few years ago. For whatever reason, the UK branch has not (yet) followed suit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure