Funeral help

Options
my mother died last week and my brother took it upon himself to arrange the funeral. which is next week, he has already advised me that i need to pay half of the 5K towards the funeral which is being dealt with on a repayment plan basis by the funeral director.

but i was told today that my brother need £500 from me tomorrow to pay for half of the deposit. i wont sugar coat things i was on benefits technically i still am, but i sign a work contract today and start next week, after mums funeral. but now i'm kinda stuck on what to do i dont have £500 nor can i get it, my wife is pregnant due in 4 weeks, i have a 2 year old, and i just dont know what to do, i tried to get various loans today but i knew that wouldn't work, i also set up a gofundme page but so far i have had one donation of £5. the DWP wont help as my brother works.

does anyone have any advice please, i'm extremely stressed right now and worried.

thank you

Neil

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speak to your brother. Can he pay the deposit and you reimburse him later?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My condolences.

Is there likely to be enough money in your Mum's estate ? If so the Bank will pay the funeral costs direct from the account.

Is there a will ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    zombie1387 wrote: »
    my mother died last week and my brother took it upon himself to arrange the funeral. which is next week, he has already advised me that i need to pay half of the 5K towards the funeral which is being dealt with on a repayment plan basis by the funeral director.

but i was told today that my brother need £500 from me tomorrow to pay for half of the deposit. i wont sugar coat things i was on benefits technically i still am, but i sign a work contract today and start next week, after mums funeral. but now i'm kinda stuck on what to do i dont have £500 nor can i get it, my wife is pregnant due in 4 weeks, i have a 2 year old, and i just dont know what to do, i tried to get various loans today but i knew that wouldn't work, i also set up a gofundme page but so far i have had one donation of £5. the DWP wont help as my brother works.

does anyone have any advice please, i'm extremely stressed right now and worried.

thank you

Neil
    Your brother has contracted to pay for the funeral and is liable for the cost. He could have got is done for less than half the figure quoted, You have no legal obligation to pay. The local council or the hospital would have paid if your brother had said there was no money.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2016 at 9:04PM
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Technically, as your brother has arranged the funeral, he is responsible for paying for it. If you don't have the money, then you don't have the money - that's his problem not yours. If you didn't agree or sign anything then you have no liability in law - whether you want to pay towards it or not is a separate matter.
    Don't put yourself in debt for something you didn't agree to - you have enough on your plate. And if necessary, your brother can tell the funeral director he can't afford it and look for a less expensive package. He's not paid the deposit so I'm sure it can still be changed.
    However, the costs should come out of your mum's estate if there is one. Do you know if there is enough money/assets to cover it in due course?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • zombie1387
    Options
    thank you for the replies, she had no will, she was on benifits living in a council house, as far as i'm aware there is not much money in her account maybe £700 or so, the only reason the funeral was 5K is because she wanted to be buried in a family plot which she owned.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2016 at 9:18PM
    Options
    If she already owned it, I'm struggling to see why the bill is so high as the plot should already be paid for. Have you seen a breakdown of the costs? Has your brother added things you can manage without, such as a more expensive coffin, or funeral cars?
    Without wanting to sound insensitive, could your mum be cremated and have her ashes out in the plot? Would she have wanted to see you both in debt to cover the costs?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    zombie1387 wrote: »
    thank you for the replies, she had no will, she was on benifits living in a council house, as far as i'm aware there is not much money in her account maybe £700 or so, the only reason the funeral was 5K is because she wanted to be buried in a family plot which she owned.
    The £700 should go towards the funeral costs.
  • zombie1387
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    If she already owned it, I'm struggling to see why the bill is so high as the plot should already be paid for. Have you seen a breakdown of the costs? Has your brother added things you can manage without, such as a more expensive coffin, or funeral cars?
    Without wanting to sound insensitive, could your mum be cremated and have her ashes out in the plot? Would she have wanted to see you both in debt to cover the costs?

apparently the funeral director said there was a £1000 charge for the grave to be dug, also there is 2 cars booked, some flowers and the burial, we did speak about burial or cremation and burial was decided, but now i think cremation would be a better financially.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apart from the hearse, you dont need any cars at all, just go in your own vehicles or on public transport.

I think your brother could still ask DWP for help with the costs, dont ask, dont get x
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • zombie1387
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Apart from the hearse, you dont need any cars at all, just go in your own vehicles or on public transport.

I think your brother could still ask DWP for help with the costs, dont ask, dont get x

I asked the DWP as i was claiming JSA they told me they can't help because my brother needs to be claiming aswell, the only way i could do it is if i say i dont have a brother which for obvious reason wont work, as they have to pay the funeral directors directly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure