!!HELP!! - car inurance rejected ! :(

Options

Comments

• dpall
    dpall Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    so does this mean,i would have to pay high insurance for the rest of my life? and there's nothing i can do to change it?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dpall wrote: »
    so does this mean,i would have to pay high insurance for the rest of my life? and there's nothing i can do to change it?
    Unfortunately that is a consequence of your action, if you are asked if you have ever had a policy cancelled you will have to declare it or risk having another cancellation on your record.
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1) if i were get a car after i turn 25 - would these policy quotes go down at all ?
    There is usually a decrease in premiums as the driver gets older, however without any no claims bonus, you may still be facing significant cost. Because insurance underwriters all use their own algorithms to calculate risk based on various factors (although sometimes, I think they just pull a number out of a hat) none of us will be able to give you a more in depth answer on that one.
    2) or would I have to pay extremely high insurance prices for the rest of my life?
    As you build up NCB and years driving, your premiums will go down (this is, of course, dependent on your driving history/car/location/current car crime and accident statistics/etc).
    3) how many years before this "fronting" is taken off my record?
    The fronting will never be off your 'record'. It's not protected information so if asked, you have to declare it. Some insurance companies only ask about refused insurance in the past 5 years, but some companies ask the question 'have you ever been refused insurance'. You'll need to pay special attention to the wording of the question each time you shop for quotes.

I second ciderboy2009's suggestion of using a broker - they tend to be able to get around the 'computer says no' situation and are probably your best bet.
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    Some insurance companies ask if you have had a cancellation of a certain period. Direct Line I think asks if you have had a cancelled policy over the last 5 years?

Insurance companies are made to ask questions very clearly when taking out a policy and you simply have to answer truthfully, unfortunately you got caught lying.

Also be aware that you will have to admit to the cancellation with all types of insurance, not just car insurance

In who's name was the cancelled policy, yours or your fathers?
  • dpall
    Options
    the policy was under my dads name but i was on the insurance policy as a named driver
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your dad is the one with the cancellation on his record then, not you.(Unless there is more to this we don't know about)

You will find insurers happy to insure you on a car owned by a parent.

As long as your dad is not a named driver and you are the main driver you should be able to get cover without any cancellation loading.

If online insurers are too expensive try a local broker (not Swinton)
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    so you lied and now you have screwed up your father's car insurance history. Ignorance is not an excuse.

You have a lot of explaining to do with your father, who is now unable to get market insurance prices
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 July 2017 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Like I mentioned, I didn't do what I did on purpose - I didn't know it was illegal at the time. And I dont want to "front" again - thank you for pointing out that changing the car on to my dads name could be seen as fronting.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I have a couple of questions
    1) if i were get a car after i turn 25 - would these policy quotes go down at all ?
    2) or would I have to pay extremely high insurance prices for the rest of my life?
    3) how many years before this "fronting" is taken off my record?

If you are the main driver (primary user) of the car and the policy is not in your name it "will" (not could) be seen as fronting regardless of who owns the car, so be careful.

Personally I was continuously reminded for years that 25 is the "golden age" for cheaper car insurance, so disappointingly when I reached 25 I noticed very little difference. It was more of a gentle decline with each passing year of trouble free motoring and increasing age.

Edit: Many new posts since I started the message, and as Quentin first noted your dad now has the black mark on his record which he will have to declare for as long as required and you have been able to walk away spotless.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • dpall
    Options
    but i was on the cancelled insurance as a named driver? would that not count as me being rejected insurance aswell??
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    As stated before, when taking out insurance you have to answer the questions they ask truthfully

Direct Line for instance ask 'In the last 5 years have you or any of the drivers had any insurance product cancelled or declared void by an insurer - yes or no'

If it was not your policy that was cancelled and you do not add your father to any new policy you could answer No

It is your father who now has the problems!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure