Letting someone test drive my car - insurance?

Options

Comments

• Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the car isn't insured, then the buyer's policy covering driving other cars isn't generally valid.

You can get test drive/short term insurance. Google it. RAC do it, for example.
    Je suis sabot...
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are three elements to insurance, use, cause and permit.

As I said he's not making anyone test drive it so there isn't a cause element.

Perhaps you misread the word "or" as "and"?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    Its the norm for any private seller now selling their car. They need to factor in a few temporary insurances normally £25 a pop or keep the car covered on the existing policy for a couple of weeks if you want to be fire prove should something go wrong.

I would ask anyone potentially wanting to test drive it to arrange their own cover before coming, obviously its not taxed when its driven but you want get points/fine/conviction if caught.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    If the car isn't insured, then the buyer's policy covering driving other cars isn't generally valid.
    This comes up on here time and time again and time and time again it keeps getting disproved.
    There are many insurers whose policy documents do not state any requirement for the "other car" to have its own insurance in place before it is covered under driving other vehicles.

Aviva and the AA are just two that I know of that don't require the other vehicle to be insured and when this topic last came up, some posters gave other insurers when the policy is the same.

I'm not saying that all insurers are like this but I think it's wrong to state that it's generally the case that the other vehicle must be insured by its own policy.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But, if the vehicle is not insured then it is required to be SORNed, and therefore should not be on the road at all. Perhaps Aviva and AA don't require it as it would be illegal to drive such a car anyway.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    But, if the vehicle is not insured then it is required to be SORNed, and therefore should not be on the road at all. Perhaps Aviva and AA don't require it as it would be illegal to drive such a car anyway.

Unless on the way to a pre-booked MOT appointment, or one of the few other exemptions
  • AdrianC
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Except that there are circumstances where it's perfectly legal to drive a SORNed car.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless on the way to a pre-booked MOT appointment, or one of the few other exemptions
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Except that there are circumstances where it's perfectly legal to drive a SORNed car.

Agreed, but I didn't mention them because in most cases they won't apply.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Perhaps you misread the word "or" as "and"?

No, there's no cause.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    No, there's no cause.
    There is in the name of the offence he'd be charged with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure