Journey to happy skinflintedness

Options

Comments

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad to hear the cat is doing better and it didn't impact on you too much.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • saraih
    saraih Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 30 October 2014 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Thanks :D he's been a pain of a cat, the one before him never cost us anything much but he's had his nine lives and then some. It's a good job he's so cute...

No news. Bank account is running on fumes but no need for any cash so it doesn't matter too much. Dying to test out this wheelchair, hopefully there will be a bit of cleaning this week as I couldn't last week.

Son & heir's form teacher got arrested last year and just admitted guilt in court, bit of a surprise because he was always completely ordinary. Yeesh.
  • saraih
    First Anniversary
    Options
    All the bigger bills have gone out now so it's all settling down. I'm still hanging back on spending anything because the vet said to keep an eye on the cat for a few days, so I don't know if he's going to cost any more this month.

Little bit of cleaning this morning, nothing much but it all helps. If I'm babysitting this weekend there won't be much shopping to be done anyway.

The decorating really needs looking into, need to make a list of what I've got and what needs doing. I don't want to rush into anything because it always ends up costing more.

OH's wages didn't change at all so I don't know why the tax people gave him that refund - we'll see next month I suppose!
  • saraih
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Did a little bit of shopping this morning, nothing much just a chance to go for a spin with the wheelchair. It did okay, not as solid and chunky as the red cross one but it definitely felt like it would stand up to what we want to do with it. OH was a bit grumpy about it but we kept it short and he didn't have the time for a full sulk :rotfl:

L!nk sent an agreement and standing order form through, the agreement has the original full amount on, illegal charges and all! They'll get a letter, I'm not wasting yet more money on that 0844 number. You'd think people that are so determined to maintain an attitude problem would at least have the decency to be competent at their jobs.

Nothing else. Long walk tomorrow, I can't wait :beer:
  • saraih
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't posted because absolutely nothing has happened, at least with money. It's been nice, especially when compared to this time last year :)

The heating has just gone on, I did leave it as long as possible but the mornings are definitely cold now. Condensation is a huge pain, have to do every window every day and the vents are making no difference. I'll keep an eye on the gas usage but so far it isn't costing as much.

The chaos from the electrical work is just about sorted now, no decorating yet but I've been considering leaving it until the new year and redoing the worst rooms completely. The council couldn't care less about the things that got broken but I'll just go through their complaints system until they do.

We'll scrape through this month, as usual. Need to start on the beer money sites again as I haven't done any since packing the house up and it will help with the holidays. Son & heir decided what he wants for his birthday and it won't need any drastic measures, so that's good.

It's been very slow for any cleaning and that agency didn't bother after I had to stick to my available hours. Thank goodness for the babysitting!

That's it. My finances are not very exciting right now but I do like it that way :rotfl:
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Sometimes boring is good where money is concerned.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • saraih
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, when it was exciting it was all in the wrong direction :D I'm just glad when there's no post now.
  • saraih
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Everything was going great and then Access to Work put a dampener on everything :(

OH is hanging on to this job by sheer willpower at the moment, he is not well enough but struggles through because he can't stand the thought of never working again. Access to Work have reimbursed him for taxis there and back and it made a massive difference, he couldn't work at all without it. They pay everything minus what he'd normally pay on public transport.

They always run at least two weeks behind so we gave it longer before ringing, only to find out that due to restructuring they are at least six weeks behind and in some cases still reimbursing from July.

This might be fine if we were talking about reasonable amounts of money but we aren't. I maintain a £1000 float (wasted money that we won't see again until he stops working) so that he can get reimbursed and that will be gone next week.

Now thank goodness due to no fault of our own we have the emergency fund, but that won't last long either and we also won't have an emergency fund.

The stress of needing to carry a £2000 float on a low wage is ridiculous. That's two months wages. I can't do it! It's not possible for us to have any sort of emergency fund even with a tax windfall, if we didn't get that he'd be out of a job after next week.

OH needs to work and I need to juggle money so that he can. No other company would ever hire him, this company only do because they're a huge multinational and he worked for them for seven years then took five years off sick and his PHI company negotiated a return for him.

I haven't discussed any of this with OH, he can't take the stress at all and doesn't even think about money most of the time. I'm very on edge and shaky about even the thought of broaching it with him, I'll just have to find the money from somewhere without letting him know.

Torn between being super grateful they reimburse it at all and very nervous about them losing him the job he wouldn't even have without them.

The taxi firm is the only one that will deal with booked cabs and they don't do the invoicing thing, he has to pay cash and get reimbursed. If they invoiced they'd have stopped a while ago anyway!

It took so long to build that float up to £1000, more than that will seriously impact the monthly budget and take a while. :(

Back to the skinflinting poverty grindstone.
  • black_cat
    black_cat Posts: 703 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run. I have no advice but you have my virtual support and sympathy :(
  • saraih
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, black cat. I'll calm down by tomorrow and get on to my cheapo recipe sites again - it'll be fine, the light at the end of the tunnel was just another train :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure