Entitlement to council tax support - pensioner couple when one moves into care home

Options
My father has just moved into a nursing home - probably permanently - and my mother is now living alone.

In her own right she receives a small state pension and attendance allowance totalling about £170 a week. She also has savings in her own right of less than £8,000.

I have done the calculator on her local council's website and it suggests she might be entitled to pension credit and full relief on her council tax bill based on her low income in her own right - as well as course to single person discount.

Is it correct to assume my father's pensions and savings are ignored for the purposes of calculating her CTS/pension credit entitlements - now he no longer lives with her even though they remain married? Is it affected by how much he pays towards the nursing home fees from his funds?

Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

Thanks for those links.

Problem is the guidance and advice notes cover what happens to the entitlements of the person moving into a care home but I can't see any advice which addresses the position of the person who is left behind at home.

For example if a married partner with savings or income in their own right - potentially above the thresholds for pension credits or CTS etc - moves into a care home are their income levels and savings taken into account in determining income based benefits for the partner left behind if they no longer live together but are still married? How are say joint accounts dealt with for example - split 50 50 or seen 100 per cent as a source of revenue for the spouse staying in rhe family home.

I want to ensure my mum gets what she is entitled to re CTS etc - no more no less.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Joint accounts cause problems so she would be better off taking half to another account in her name and opening one in his for the other half.

The contents of a joint account are taken to be equal, so if there is £12000 in the account and £6000 goes to pay for care, they are both then considered to have £3000 each, even though half the original amount is gone.

This possibly could be in the lady's favour if it knocks her assets/income into the benefits range, but she will also have paid for care that she would not have done, if the money was separate.

This assumes that some of the care is self funded.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It's quite a while ago but my Mum & Dad were in the same position.

Dad went into a care home, his state pension, DLA and 2 private pensions went towards the cost of his care. I believe we had the choice of whether to take half of his private pensions for my Mum but chose not to because with her small income (state pension based on married woman's NI contributions), she was eligible for pension credit which then gave her eligibility for housing benefit (they lived in a council warden controlled flat) and council tax reduction.

You could try Age UK or CAB for advice.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Straight away she will be entitled to the single occupancy discount of 25%
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Problem is the guidance and advice notes cover what happens to the entitlements of the person moving into a care home but I can't see any advice which addresses the position of the person who is left behind at home.

Did you read page 27 onwards of the first link?

Permanent care home residence
    If you have a partner, you may no longer count as a couple if one of you
    is permanently resident in a care home. You are assessed as single
    people for PC purposes.

If you are a care home resident it may be possible to pass half of your
    private pension to your spouse or civil partner if they remain living at
    home. See factsheet 39, Paying for care in a care home if you have a
    partner (factsheet 39w in Wales).

Factsheet 39 is the second link.

And you/your mother can contact CAB/Age Concern for advice on her specific situation.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Did you read page 27 onwards of the first link?

Permanent care home residence
    If you have a partner, you may no longer count as a couple if one of you
    is permanently resident in a care home. You are assessed as single
    people for PC purposes.

If you are a care home resident it may be possible to pass half of your
    private pension to your spouse or civil partner if they remain living at
    home.
    See factsheet 39, Paying for care in a care home if you have a
    partner (factsheet 39w in Wales).

Factsheet 39 is the second link.

And you/your mother can contact CAB/Age Concern for advice on her specific situation.
    The bit in red is what I was referring to in my earlier post.
    We didn't take that route for my Mum.
    My Dad retained 100% of his pensions to pay towards his care home fees.

This link may be also useful for the OP:
    https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility:
    Working out your income

When you apply for Pension Credit your income is worked out. This includes:
    • State Pension
    • other pensions
    • most social security benefits, for example Carer’s Allowance
    • savings, investments over £10,000 - for these £1 is counted for every £500 or part £500
    • earnings
    If you’re entitled to a private or workplace pension, the amount you’d expect to get is calculated as income from the date you were able to get it, if you had claimed it.
    You won’t get the benefit of deferring your State Pension if you or your partner are on Pension Credit, for example you won’t build up extra State Pension or a lump sum for deferring your State Pension. When working out if you can get Pension Credit, the income you’d get from your State Pension is included whether you’re claiming it or not.
    The calculation doesn’t include:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Christmas Bonus
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment
    • Housing Benefit
    • Council Tax Reduction
    So the AA your Mum receives isn't included in the income they take into account.

Her savings are below the £10k threshold.

Even if she gets the lower rate AA of £55.65per week, it sounds like her state pension is around £115.00 per week

So if your Mum's pension is the only other income she gets it sounds like she will be eligible for Guarantee Pension Credit to top it up to £159.35 per week.
    I suggest your Mum starts a claim for Pension Credit as soon as possible.
    Details of how to claim are in the lick to GOV.UK website.

In addition to payment of GPC and eligibility to Housing Benefit (possibly not applicable) and Council Tax Reduction, there are other health benefits such as eye care and dental care that kick in with payment of GPC.
  • xylophone
    Options
    Factsheet 39 ( I have corrected the link as it came up as error in previous format)

gives details of how jointly held capital is treated.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs39_paying_for_care_in_a_care_home_if_you_have_a_partner_fcs.pdf
  • Pollycat
    Options
    xlophone - still coming up 'page not available'. :)

Not sure what it said but my Mum & Dad had savings in joint accounts.
    A financial person from the council visited and split the savings down the middle for purposes of calculating Dad's savings for the care home.
    I guess DWP did the same when assessing Mum's eligibility for Pension Credit.
  • xylophone
    Options
    :):)
    xlophone - still coming up 'page not available'.

How very odd that some links just do not work!

The OP can type in Age UK Factsheet 39 which should work...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure