DWP and bank statements

Options
13»

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    A year's worth would be unusual and disproportionate, although I have known a few councils request this for the self-employed where they have yet to compile their annual accounts.

If fraud is suspected then yes DWP and Councils do have the authority. From memory s29 of the Data Protection Act allows the derogation, in that if fraud is suspected insurers, banks and so on can share info in order to detect and prevent fraud.

You can, of course, complain if staff are rude or shout or give out personal info in earshot of others. Many are surprised when I inform them that the DWP Service Standards in fact state that staff should be helpful and so on.

JCP Manager > Area > COO @ DWP HQ > ICE is the hierarchy route of complaints re DWP staff.

In this regard, benefits can only be sanctioned if a claimant refuses a direction (usually written), so that sounds like an idle threat - or indeed if it happened it could be appealed.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    " In this regard, benefits can only be sanctioned if a claimant refuses a direction (usually written), so that sounds like an idle threat - or indeed if it happened it could be appealed.)

does the above apply to compliance officers it is my understanding that verbal is legal and doesnt have to be in writting ie if they say ( its up to you to provide the statements if you dont you will lose your pension credit )
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    also, I thought bank statements are also given to show no masses of money that is undeclared.

Surely it isn't for DWP to act like a financial advisor and say where is this £10 going to, Where is this going, I want to see a statement of that incoming. i.e. connecting up all transactions.

I got a general benefits review, Then a interview under caution because the advisor wasn't happy because she couldn't connect my transactions up. Surely when DWP pays money into a bank, The claimant can do whatever they want with it?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes money received from DWP is for the recipient to with as they wish. Bank statements are requested when it is necessary to check on income and expenditure outside that money.
    As an example, I had one where a claimant had declared only one account but their bank statements showed money being transferred to and from a number of other accounts. When this was raised with the claimant they said they thought they only had to declare their current account!
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Yes money received from DWP is for the recipient to with as they wish. Bank statements are requested when it is necessary to check on income and expenditure outside that money.
    As an example, I had one where a claimant had declared only one account but their bank statements showed money being transferred to and from a number of other accounts. When this was raised with the claimant they said they thought they only had to declare their current account!

And benefit reviews etc done at random or are they queued etc? And can you get them done at home for DWP if your on ESA and PIP?
  • usahdw762GY
    Options
    They ask me for 3 months regularily, just had one yesterday for a rapid reclaim as I was working for an agency for 2.5 weeks and was let go.
    The requirements for JSA, ESA, Universal Credit is that you to have less than £5000 in the bank otherwise the payment will get reduced. If you have over £16,000 then you will get nothing. Therefore the reason the ask for fully itemised bank statement to assess your entitlement is false. You can filter your statement in many different ways with any online bank so only relevant information is provided, but the DWP say you are not allowed to use filters.
    It is understandable that they want to see incoming payments to see if you have any other income, but what right have they to access your out goings. Where you shop, whether you have drunk alcohol recently in a bar, where you go out, the grocery store you use, maybe you are making regular cash withdrawals which might suggest a drug problem. This request for your personal private data is excessive and has nothing to do with assessing your claim.
    If they want to know what your rent is you can produce the lease etc. If you question them about it they tell you that you dont' need to apply for benefits if thats the way you feel, as if an unemployed person has a choice.
  • stevenpc
    Options
    update i reveived a letter to attend another compliance interview for 5th december then on 4th december another letter cancelling it and stated that all was cleared up at the last interview at that interview i was told to supply 6 years bank statements or lose my pension credit.i supplied the statements and they still have not returned them.Im on state pension and receive £5 week pension credit that entitles me to assistance with rent etc .so left for almost a year without a word or reply to letters sent without any responce they now say everything was sorted at the original interview.Anoyed isnt a strong enough word to cover how i feel.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They ask me for 3 months regularily, just had one yesterday for a rapid reclaim as I was working for an agency for 2.5 weeks and was let go.
    The requirements for JSA, ESA, Universal Credit is that you to have less than £5000 in the bank otherwise the payment will get reduced. If you have over £16,000 then you will get nothing. Therefore the reason the ask for fully itemised bank statement to assess your entitlement is false. You can filter your statement in many different ways with any online bank so only relevant information is provided, but the DWP say you are not allowed to use filters.
    It is understandable that they want to see incoming payments to see if you have any other income, but what right have they to access your out goings. Where you shop, whether you have drunk alcohol recently in a bar, where you go out, the grocery store you use, maybe you are making regular cash withdrawals which might suggest a drug problem. This request for your personal private data is excessive and has nothing to do with assessing your claim.
    If they want to know what your rent is you can produce the lease etc. If you question them about it they tell you that you dont' need to apply for benefits if thats the way you feel, as if an unemployed person has a choice.

Gosh wind your necks back in everyone.

Bank statements aren't used to monitor your outgoings to pizza hut/betfred/ebay etc. they are used to confirm that you don't have hidden accounts and over the amount savings etc.

I've seen loads of odd outgoings on statements therefore it is of no concern to me what people spend their money on, I do however take exception to people claiming public money they are not entitled to.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Mersey_2
    Options
    The requirements for JSA, ESA, Universal Credit is that you to have less than £5000 in the bank otherwise the payment will get reduced. If you have over £16,000 then you will get nothing. Therefore the reason the ask for fully itemised bank statement to assess your entitlement is false. You can filter your statement in many different ways with any online bank so only relevant information is provided,

I suspect that's more as evidence of living at your address than income.

Also, having net assets of over £6,000 is the lower threshold - £5k is wrong if you were told this by an advisor.

Incidentally, you shouldn't have needed to provide all of the usual (5 or 6) forms of proof of ID for a rapid reclaim.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey_2
    Options
    stevenpc wrote: »
    update i reveived a letter to attend another compliance interview for 5th december then on 4th december another letter cancelling it and stated that all was cleared up at the last interview at that interview i was told to supply 6 years bank statements or lose my pension credit.i supplied the statements and they still have not returned them.Im on state pension and receive £5 week pension credit that entitles me to assistance with rent etc .so left for almost a year without a word or reply to letters sent without any responce they now say everything was sorted at the original interview.Anoyed isnt a strong enough word to cover how i feel.

The DWP or Council's failures to reply to correspondence (within 15 days or at all) is maladministration, so you are free to complain re their breach of Service Standards. Equally, you can complain re the failure to return the original docs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure