Detention

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My teachers were out of the school asap.

One teacher let her last class out earl so that she could get on the school bus before the rabble arrived.

She was popular as the last teacher of the day.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:57PM
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Do you think teachers issue punishments for a rare 'slip up'?
    I KNOW that they do. The school directive is ANY piece of missed homework is an automatic after-school 'detention' (period 7)This directive comes from the [STRIKE]dictator[/STRIKE] headteacher. It wouldn't matter if you were 16 and it was the first homework you'd missed in 5 years, the punishment is automatic that you get one.

I'd also say my child's school was not a sink school in need of turning round. I've lived in the town for 45 years and in this village on and off since the late 70s. I'm very familiar with the school as it's my old one. Ridiculous rulings started coming in gradually around 18 months ago. It was a good school that didn't need to make improvements because it had loads of unruly kids, it didn't. It's just decided that every child who slips up is 'naughty' and has to be punished.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    My bugbear at school was whole class detentions. Punishing all for the actions of a few.

Hopefully not given by a history teacher, who should know that Aticle 33 of the fourth Geneva convention, to which the UK has been a signatory since 1957, forbids collective punishments and declares those giving them out to be war criminals.

I wonder how many war criminals we have teaching in our schools? :(:(:(
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hopefully not given by a history teacher, who should know that Aticle 33 of the fourth Geneva convention, to which the UK has been a signatory since 1957, forbids collective punishments and declares those giving them out to be war criminals.

I wonder how many war criminals we have teaching in our schools? :(:(:(

Very few I should imagine.

The Geneva convention is irrelevant in peacetime.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had it been me at school, that would have had you there until at least 6pm, possibly closer to 8pm, which would potentially be the earliest one of my parents could have got there to collect me, and you would have had to remain, because of duty of care. You would have prevented me from using the only method of transport available apart from a 12 mile walk, some of which was along unlit national speed limit single track roads with no pavement, so you personally would have become responsible for my safety.

I came home on a school bus (45 minute journey) and arriving home at 4.45pm was always home before either parent. So mum would have had to wait for my brother, who went to a different school and got home later, then get in the car (if dad didn't have it, otherwise she might have been waiting to beyond 7pm for him to get back from doing overtime, which he had to do to pay the mortgage when the rate was ovver 15%) and drive another 45 minutes to the school to collect me. Then drive home, then cook dinner and when exactly homework would have got done is anyone's guess.

I wondered what teachers thought about when handing out detentions like smarties. Certainly not how the child will get home once the school bus has gone, given that the reason the school bus existed was no public transport was available.

In which case you would therefore put the effort in and revise for a test not to inconvenience your parents surely...?

You are very quick to jump to assumptions about all teachers.

I did indeed have someone in your scenario, and I agreed with the parent that the test would be done at home under supervision.

There are many teachers at school until 7pm at least, and we also give lifts home to kids who have missed a bus.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Very few I should imagine.

The Geneva convention is irrelevant in peacetime.
    Indeed, though I made the point as collective punishment is no more just in peacetime than in war, and is an appalling example for any adult to set to a child, never mind a professional in a position of trust.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    Loz01 wrote: »

Teacher then came to me the day of the detention, told me she'd found it at her house but I still had to attend the detention........... which went down a treat as you can imagine lol. I point blank refused and was sent to my very strict head of year. Who immediately told me I didn't have to go to detention. Pointless :rotfl:

I can't get my head round this... what possible grounds did the teacher have for insisting you attend the detention? Ditto for Spendless's daughter.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't get my head round this... what possible grounds did the teacher have for insisting you attend the detention? Ditto for Spendless's daughter.
    The homework was missing therefore my DD got a P7 (after school detention). She insisted she did it, it wasn't believed. I actually got a voicemail left saying that if my daughter was correct they'd have found it. I didn't get the voicemail as I was at work in an area of poor mobile signal. The homework was found handed in during the duration of the detention, they still refused to let my DD leave.

I've given up trying to get my head round what the school is doing. They just want to take every child, watch it all day long until they do something and then dish out a punishment. As I said on my first post on here I'm counting down the days till my daughter leaves (June 2019 :dance:)
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    In which case you would therefore put the effort in and revise for a test not to inconvenience your parents surely...?

You are very quick to jump to assumptions about all teachers.
    Only those who say they would give a detention for getting a low mark on a test. The inconvenience is caused by the person handing out the detention, they are the trained professional in a position of trust who has to exercise their judgement when making decisions, the other party is a child. If you are indeed a professional you cannot put the responsibility for the consequences of your decisions onto those in your care.

And before you make assumptions about me, I did not get any detentions at school or other personal punishments and was top of the class in maths, all three sciences and modern languages, and got at least passing grades in the other subjects. I was the class swot that always did the homework properly, always as well as I was able. Naturally I got bullied for it, being very shy didn't help, and was also rubbish at sport so got bullied for that as well (this time by the games teachers rather than other pupils though, they seemed to take my inability as a personal insult).

I had plenty of good teachers, but also some that were just appalling people.
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm somewhat surprised at Pinkshoes' comment about teachers giving lifts home. In my school, we are warned not to give any student a lift unless there are two or more students in the car, they are your own children (or friends of your children) or it is an emergency and you have parental permission. Our cars have to have business use to be able to do this and the school needs a copy of our insurance certificate.

To return to the OP: I have a colleague who thinks she can make students stay behind after school if they get below a certain percentage in tests. Our catchment area is large and rural and 80% of students arrive on dedicated school buses so they and their parents are furious. As their form tutor, I have heard the complaints from both the students and their parents. I also know that a number of them have serious issues going on at home (parental illness requiring them to take on a young carer role for instance) that means that they simply cannot stay. Expecting a 15 year old whose dad is having chemo that day to get above 75% in a test is grossly unfair to both the child and the parent. If your child is correct, I would complain to the school as this is ridiculous.

Yes, teachers do have bad days. I get cross with many of my irritating students on a regular basis. However, this has crossed a line for me and for the reasons above, needs bringing to the attention of management.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure