EON chasing for money that I don't owe from 7 years ago !

Options
sky_rat
sky_rat Posts: 226 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 October 2016 at 10:25AM in Energy
EON are chasing me for £160 from a property I rented 7 years ago, for a 2 month duration when I didn't rent the property !

It all started a week ago, because I had my first EON bill a few weeks ago for the house I live in now. So I registered with EON online and thats when I received text messages to contact EON urgently.

I assumed they wanted me to contact them to pay my bill, which I had already paid in full.

However, when I contacted them they told me the reason was because I owe them £160, from a house I rented 7 years ago ! I always pay all my debts off so I was surprised and shocked to hear this.

According to EON, I moved into the rented property on 1st August 2009, but I actually moved into the property on 3rd October 2009.

I was surprised that EON hadn't try to contact me during the last 7 years, but they said they had sent letters to my parents address in 2010, although my parents had not seen any of these letters.

EONs records show that I told them (7 years ago) that I didn't move into the rented property until 3rd October 2009, but as their records state it was 1st August 2009 then I have to provide evidence to prove otherwise, such as a tenancy agreement.

Fortunately the letting agent sent me a copy of the tenancy agreement and surprisingly they didn't charge me a fee for this, so I plan to send this to EON and give them an ear full. Especially because:

1 - They are trying to charge me for 2 months (August and September 2009) when I didn't live in the property.

2 - I am the one expected to prove that I didn't live in the property. However, its EONs mistake so they should prove I did live in the property. I was expecting the letting agent to charge a fee for a copy of the tenancy agreement, fortunately they didn't but if they had then I would have had to pay to prove my innocence due to someone else's mistake.

3 - It has taken them 7 years to contact me

4 - I have been told that companies have a time limit of 6 years to resolve outstanding debts, after that time the debt has to be written off. So why are EON chasing me after 7 years ?

I plan to put all this in a complaint to EON as well as a copy of the tenancy agreement. I will also tell them that I will be switching providers.

Should I just send an email to EONs complaint department (email.queries@eonenergy.com) or should I send it to someone higher up ? Should I copy other organisations in such as Watchdog etc ?

I am also concerned whether this might affect my credit rating. I have used Noodle in the past so I will have to keep a close eye on my credit report.

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £160 for 2 months energy in the summer is extortionate for a start.

How did they link your name to the old debt after 7 years?

Firstly, I would write a letter headed COMPLAINT in big bold letters and detail why they are wrong and enclose a copy of the rental agreement and demand that collection attempts be stopped imediatly, and demand that this ficticious £160 not be added to the current account - you need to check and ensure that it does not get added to your bill.

Once that letter has gone off by recorded delivery I would then follow with an email sting the same and attach a copy of the rental agreement

Until this is sorted you may find that E.oN will block any attempt at switching.

I am amazed the agency actually gave a free copy of an old agreement - whatever is the world coming to?
  • sky_rat
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    £160 for 2 months energy in the summer is extortionate for a start.

How did they link your name to the old debt after 7 years?

I am amazed the agency actually gave a free copy of an old agreement - whatever is the world coming to?

I also thought £160 was extortionate for the summer too ! Maybe thats another mistake they have made ?

The only way I can think they linked my name to the old account was because I recently registered online and provided my mobile number, because thats when I received the text messages a few days later.

I was surprised the letting agent sent me the TA without charging a fee too. I told EON that if the letting agent charged a fee then I want a confirmation from EON in writing that I would get a full refund. EON told me they would send a letter confirming this but I never received it.

Im sick of these big companies bullying their customers and these mistakes they often seem to make. Ive got the same issue with HMRC at the moment as well !
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Did you register with the company(Eon) and provide meter readings when you first moved in - ie 3 October 2009?

Unless you did you are obviously being charged for usage by previous occupant(s) Why are you assuming that the £160 is for two months use - it could be much longer than that period. Not all occupants pay up to the time they leave.

Under the Statute of limitation, six years is the period a company have to raise a bill. Once a bill is raised it stands.
  • sky_rat
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Did you register with the company(Eon) and provide meter readings when you first moved in - ie 3 October 2009?

Unless you did you are obviously being charged for usage by previous occupant(s) Why are you assuming that the £160 is for two months use - it could be much longer than that period. Not all occupants pay up to the time they leave.

Under the Statute of limitation, six years is the period a company have to raise a bill. Once a bill is raised it stands.

The letting agents would have provided my details to EON when I rented the property. When I left the property I paid off all the utility bills.

Good point regarding the £160 for 2 months, it may have been longer than 2 months ? The bill was obviously from the previous tenant, I was told the previous tenant had to go to a refugee as she had domestic violence from her partner.

I was going to put the following in the letter, but it sounds like you are saying this is not applicable ?

Despite the fact that I am clear of this debt, EON have no right to make this claim as there is a time limit of 6 years to recover debt. I would like to point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

- “An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”
    - "...a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." 7.15.4
    - "A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred." 7.15.8

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2016 at 1:08PM
    Options
    "The letting agents would have provided my details to Eon when I rented the property" ? !

Sorry, but it's up to the new occupier/tenant to contact the Utility Suppliers when moving in - Some LA's may take this on, but in the end it's still the tenants responsibilty unless the Utility costs are included in the rent.

As you paid what you thought was a Final Bill when you moved out, the question arises as to why this phantom 2 months occupation was not shown on that bill - Also on the presumption rhat you are in regular contact with your parents, why was is that you didn't recieve the letters that Eon alledge were sent to you at your parents address. - Eon are a major player and usually play a straight bat, so it's likely that these alledged letters were actually sent to a wrong address, ask what address these letters were sent to.

A letter headed Complaint with your your tenancy agreement and the 6 year rule should be enough, but check your Credit Status and Switch away from Eon as soon as the threat of this debt has been withdrawn
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    sky_rat wrote: »
    The letting agents would have provided my details to EON when I rented the property. When I left the property I paid off all the utility bills.

You have a lot more faith in letting agents(LA) than many on this forum.

How did Eon get your parent's address? Would the LA have supplied this to Eon?

IMO it is highly likely that Eon would have got the information, that you were responsible, for the period before your occupation, from the LA. They are not known for careful research in these matters.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Never provide phone numbers to utility companies. Provide them with the bare minimum of information if you take over a supply. Settle bills when you move and don't provide forwarding addresses.

This is yet another good example of why utility companies should not be permitted to report customer accounts to the CRAs (I assume Eon will have blacklisted you).
  • sky_rat
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    "The letting agents would have provided my details to Eon when I rented the property" ? !

Sorry, but it's up to the new occupier/tenant to contact the Utility Suppliers when moving in - Some LA's may take this on, but in the end it's still the tenants responsibilty unless the Utility costs are included in the rent.

As you paid what you thought was a Final Bill when you moved out, the question arises as to why this phantom 2 months occupation was not shown on that bill - Also on the presumption rhat you are in regular contact with your parents, why was is that you didn't recieve the letters that Eon alledge were sent to you at your parents address. - Eon are a major player and usually play a straight bat, so it's likely that these alledged letters were actually sent to a wrong address, ask what address these letters were sent to.

A letter headed Complaint with your your tenancy agreement and the 6 year rule should be enough, but check your Credit Status and Switch away from Eon as soon as the threat of this debt has been withdrawn

I always follow up utility bills etc once I move in to and out of a property and I always take meter readings, but initially the LA would have provided my details to EON. Since I had paid the final bill when I left the property, I assumed everything was settled. But its now apparent that EON think otherwise and they are wrong.

I have rented 5 properties and recently bought my own property but I have never had an issue like this before.

Whats even more strange is the fact that I was with EON for 2 of these rental properties since the property that has this dispute, but EON never brought up the dispute until now. which is now the third property they have supplied my gas and electric.

I dont know why my parents never received any letters, all I can think of is that EON never sent these letters. I confirmed the forwarding address with EON during the online chat and it was correct. They always forward any correspondence to me unless its junk mail.
  • sky_rat
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    You have a lot more faith in letting agents(LA) than many on this forum.

How did Eon get your parent's address? Would the LA have supplied this to Eon?

IMO it is highly likely that Eon would have got the information, that you were responsible, for the period before your occupation, from the LA. They are not known for careful research in these matters.

I have no faith in LA or landlords, I have rented 5 properties before so I know how difficult they can be! Fortunately I have ALWAYS managed to get my deposit back in full, despite some difficulties.
    Maybe the LA provided my parents address to EON, I dont know. It was 7 years ago, I only lived in the property for 3 months and I dont have the paperwork anymore.

I was very surprised and pleased when the LA sent the TA with no fee, but I told EON that if the LA required a fee then I would want written confirmation from EON that they would refund the fee in full. EON were suppose to send a letter to confirm this, but it hasnt arrived (well theres a surprise!).
  • sky_rat
    edited 9 October 2016 at 6:55PM
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Never provide phone numbers to utility companies. Provide them with the bare minimum of information if you take over a supply. Settle bills when you move and don't provide forwarding addresses.

This is yet another good example of why utility companies should not be permitted to report customer accounts to the CRAs (I assume Eon will have blacklisted you).

Surely EON cant have blacklisted me, this is the 3rd property they have supplied my gas and electric to since the property which has the dispute. For some reason its only whilst in my current property that they have suddenly raised this dispute, I was unaware of it until now. I have no idea why I didnt receive any letters to my parents address, nor why EON didnt raise the dispute in the other 2 properties they supplied my gas and electric to. Even my mobile number hasn't changed in the last 7 years, so why all of a sudden have they started chasing me ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure