Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Options
Got a letter today, Barclaycard are dropping the 1% cashback Amex card and the Visa card to be replaced with a single card offering 0.5% cashback.

1% cashback ends on July 13.

Is 0.5% still the best? Might have to switch over to Amex proper now.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    I'd assume the Lloyds AMEX cards will follow.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,476 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    crumpetman wrote: »
    Got a letter today, Barclaycard are dropping the 1% cashback Amex card and the Visa card to be replaced with a single card offering 0.5% cashback.

1% cashback ends on July 13.

Is 0.5% still the best? Might have to switch over to Amex proper now.
    Bummer. I knew it would end at some point but I had hoped it would linger on until the end of the year, when my Amex Platinum year is up and I'll be moved to their new staggered cashback.

0.5% is standard for a Visa or Mastercard, you can get the same rate from Creation/ASDA, Nationwide and even the low end Aqua card. If you are using the Amex now, then pretty much any of Amex's own reward products will be better (although you wont get 1% without a fee), I'll probably go for Amex's Nectar product when the time comes.

There might be better options depending on your circumstances for your Visa spend - I strongly recommend the Natwest Reward card - which has a £24 fee (waived if you have the £3/month current account, which I'd also recommend). With that you get 0.5% as standard but an enhanced 1% for all supermarket spend (including Aldi/Lidl if you use them).
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i had long cut up the Barclaycard Amex anyway.. Amex Amex remains the best cashback card on the market.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    WillPS wrote: »
    Bummer. I knew it would end at some point but I had hoped it would linger on until the end of the year, when my Amex Platinum year is up and I'll be moved to their new staggered cashback.

0.5% is standard for a Visa or Mastercard, you can get the same rate from Creation/ASDA, Nationwide and even the low end Aqua card. If you are using the Amex now, then pretty much any of Amex's own reward products will be better (although you wont get 1% without a fee), I'll probably go for Amex's Nectar product when the time comes.

There might be better options depending on your circumstances for your Visa spend - I strongly recommend the Natwest Reward card - which has a £24 fee (waived if you have the £3/month current account, which I'd also recommend). With that you get 0.5% as standard but an enhanced 1% for all supermarket spend (including Aldi/Lidl if you use them).

Hmm that Natwest Reward card seems not too bad now Barclaycard will be soon the standard .5%
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't had a letter yet, but I don't buy a great deal with it. It's useful for pay at the pump petrol.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'd assume the Lloyds AMEX cards will follow.

If/when Lloyds Bank amend the Choice Points earn rate I think I'd continue with mine because, as a Club Lloyds customer, I have a £12 rebate of the £24 annual fee every 12 months.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May 2017 at 7:40PM
    Options
    Received the same letter today. For me it was more of a back up to my other Amex rewards cards and to be used as a Visa, so nothing will really change for me, unless it will be a nice World MasterCard with free forex benefit too (wishful thinking- but the letter does not mention that it will be a Visa, however easy to guess as Barclaycard only issue MasterCard as business cards). It is my oldest account and with the largest Credit limit after I merged it with a separate Barclaycard I no longer used, so it will remain.
  • synth
    synth Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2017 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Got my letter today as well. It's my only cashback card. I will be closing it. Have applied and been accepted for an Amex so will shove all my spending on to that.
  • RememberMe
    RememberMe Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Received the same letter. Sad as it's my longest standing card, will probably only use it now for the odd purchase here and there to keep it active. Will use my Amex rewards/Santander 123 now for everything probably.
  • jimclark1967
    jimclark1967 Posts: 499 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2017 at 10:19AM
    Options
    Received the same letter today. For me it was more of a back up to my other Amex rewards cards and to be used as a Visa, so nothing will really change for me, unless it will be a nice World MasterCard with free forex benefit too (wishful thinking- but the letter does not mention that it will be a Visa, however easy to guess as Barclaycard only issue MasterCard as business cards). It is my oldest account and with the largest Credit limit after I merged it with a separate Barclaycard I no longer used, so it will remain.

The terms & conditions "summary of changes" box says the payment network is changing from Amex & Visa to Visa only so safe to assume it will be a Visa.

Like many here, I've had this card since it was Egg Money (oh for 4% on credit balances now!) - feels like the end of an era. I'll have a look at options but may well stick with it for non Amex spends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure