Any savings accounts that better current accounts?

Options
1235»

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    krazyk wrote: »
    bigadaj,

Did BOS say you already had an account with them? What did you say?

First account opened easily online early December, tried early January for a second online and only offered basic account. Rang up and opened second account with vantage in mid January and then a third with another phone call early February.

Reasons for opening I gave were for a combination of savings and transactions which they were happy with.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While I have Lloyds and TSB accounts, I'm thinking I should apply for their Monthly Saver accounts and put the max into each.
    Good idea.
    I have up the monthly transfer from Santander 123 to the respective current accounts to include the max monthly regular saver amount (e.g. from £1.5k for Club Lloyds to £1.9k) and move the difference (e.g. £400 for Lloyds) into the regular saver account.
    I only pay £1500 into Club Lloyds, even though it funds a regular saver as well, I just have £1100 (adjusted for interest and DDs) coming out of Lloyds.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • krazyk
    krazyk Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    First account opened easily online early December, tried early January for a second online and only offered basic account. Rang up and opened second account with vantage in mid January and then a third with another phone call early February.

Reasons for opening I gave were for a combination of savings and transactions which they were happy with.

Great, thanks. Good to know that's an OK reason for multiple accounts.
  • krazyk
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    Good idea.
    I only pay £1500 into Club Lloyds, even though it funds a regular saver as well, I just have £1100 (adjusted for interest and DDs) coming out of Lloyds.

Sure, I just need to move my surplus out of Nationwide for the time being as I'm a few accounts short.

I've just been approved for a Tesco one so waiting for a card and details then put in £3k into that. I tried FIrst Direct current account but it said they needed more time to look at my application. I know that means it will be a no. But hoping not. I think I've probably got to my limit on number of accounts for the moment. So will look at the best unlinked savings accounts.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are allowed 2 Tesco current accounts
  • krazyk
    Options
    Update:

I decided to stop applying for accounts as I thought it was hitting my credit score quite badly. I've waited 2 months and have now applied for my second Tesco Bank (approval went through straight away) and my first Bank of Scotland account (approved first time this time! :-). I've also applied for a HSBC bank account to then get their regular saver account (this has been referred so waiting on a response).

Beyond this I've been using my Aquacard and this seems to have paid off as my credit score (at least with ClearScore) has shot up up 70+ points (after the big drop post-multiple applying) and is now higher than what it was when I started all this. There is a long way to go but hopefully this pattern continues.

I have to say that I've struggling with Aqua, I setup a DD to pay in full but they have not done this for the first 2 months. So I've paid manually this month. I also setup the DD again (which was just a matter of clicking OK a few things as the details are already there and setup properly) and now they have decided to take full payment via DD as well. So I'm actually in credit (so to speak) with them. Really annoying.

Applying for the second Tesco Bank was very easy. I applied, then logged in, all the details were there so it was just a few clicks.

I'll wait until I get the BOS paperwork before applying for the second (then third) BOS accounts. That should easily cover my left over money and I can start thinking about moving money from 3% accounts to the 4% and 6% accounts.

I would like a First Direct saver account but when I applied they said I already had a current account so need to phone. I did have one many years ago but was closed (at least I thought) a long time ago. At this rate, though, I don't think I'll need it. If it was more than £300 a month I would put it more of a priority but I'll leave it for now.

During the last 2 months I've put any money left over cash into a Nationwide Loyalty savings account. The rate is just over 1% so not great but it's better than nothing. This was for about £16k. I've now moved £5k into BOS and hopefully the rest can find a home soon.

So overall all good so far. I can't confirm the exact amount of interest I've earned each month so far as Nationwide's account pay annually. But it's pretty good (for the level of rates anyway). It's just very depressing that with £50k you have to go through all this to get even £70-100 of interest a month. Hope to increase this over the next few months and hopefully it will end up at about £150 interest a month (which will mean a little bit of tax to pay).

I'll keep this thread up to date with my progress and experience as others might find it useful. :-)
  • krazyk
    Options
    Oh I also got a Nationwide Regular Saver account (so on top of the Flexclusive account as that had a better rate than the Loyalty savings account and as dead simple to apply for. I can put £500 from the Loyalty account into this Regular Saver account until the former is empty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure