A pound stretching maternity

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a busy day yesterday!

Attended a funeral after dropping ds off at school. Straight from the funeral home to change and then night out with Dh. We ended up spending around £20. I'm happy with that because we ate 3 courses, had drinks with food, went to the cinema (watched Bridget Jones' baby), had popcorn (yes, after 3 courses - I'm a pig!!) and then we stopped quickly at McDonalds on the way home for a large drink (food must've been salty and I wasn't paying cinema prices for a drink as we were leaving!!). Our Tesco vouchers gave us a pretty cheap night out! :j

Had a rubbish night sleep afterwards though. It felt like I'd been out drinking (all soft drinks, I promise!!). Thirsty all night, woke up twice with cramp in my leg, and because of the amount I drank visited the toilet every couple of hours!

Ooooh, the film is well worth a watch though! I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud quite a few times. The seat did get pretty uncomfortable by the end, but then I had to stand throughout the funeral as it was so busy so was aching anyway. My feet the started to swell so I took the backs off my sandals. Couldn't get them back on properly afterwards! Oops! Thankfully they were sandals and not shoes so I could get away without anyone noticing and just walked on the backs!

Dh is going to pull dc's (funny saying that!) Christmas gifts out from under the bed (our hiding place!) this morning before he goes and picks ds up and takes him to rugby. I'll go through them and organise them into Santa/Mummy and Daddy piles. I may start wrapping then! I have never in my life started wrapping Christmas gifts in September!! :rotfl:
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Hey, glad he film was good and you had a nice cheap night. Salty food kicks of my restless legs too. If we have a dominos were up all night drinking and uncomfortable. The salt isn't good at all. But it's just so tasty!!!

Good work on the presents. I'm not sure I could wrap mine now I like to do it in December with the fire on and a glass of mulled wine. I like to look at the pile all together then wrap if that makes sence. Although if I did it early by Christmas I'd forget and it'll be a surprise to me what DS gets too!

I hope you've had a nice relaxing Saturday. Can't believe no one offered you a seat at the funeral! Xx
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    You've been very busy MrsSave, but glad you had a nice night out with hubby.

I'm not sleeping well at the moment either!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Pregnancy and sleep just don't go well together, do they?! I've started the third trimester today! Countdown now!!

To be fair, most people at the funeral were probably over 80! They probably needed the seat more than me, though I did almost walk back to the car at one point (we were standing outside!) as it was getting pretty uncomfortable!

Well, this weekend has been expensive. I've just spent £60 on the New Look website. All needed though, and 30% off! I've ordered a maternity coat for Autumn/Winter. I figured I'd still need a bigger coat for a month or 2 after baby is born which will take me up to Feb time ish. I also ordered some black jeggings. My black trousers are under the bump which are too uncomfortable now, so I figured I'd get away with jeggings in work instead of trousers (especially if I wear with boots) and I'd be much more likely to wear them outside work. I ordered 1 long line shirt and a sweatshirt as well. I've got lots of tops, but once the weather starts to cool down I'll be a little stuck so hopefully these will keep me going!

I've sorted all the gifts into different bags ready to be wrapped. Not managed to wrap anything today, though, but I've got quite a lot of time :rotfl: I did mention to ds at one point that we'd have to go shopping to buy a Christmas gift for the baby from him and asked what he wanted to buy. I was thinking he'd say along the lines of a Thomas the Tank toy, or something. Nope! Socks! He wants to buy the baby socks for Christmas :rotfl:

We've had pizza night here tonight, so I'm totally stuffed now. Ds is snoring away, dh is putting the chest of drawers for the nursery together. I've offered to help but apparently it'll be easier if he does it himself!! Oh well, sofa it is then!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I actually had an ok night sleep last night. There were the usual toilet visits, but I went back to sleep each time and slept until ds woke at 7. :j

I ended up spending more last night. Ooooops! I don't have days like that often! I ordered some makeup from Boots. My foundation needed replacing and face powder has more or less run out (plus I've had them for probably far longer than you should keep makeup!) and I love the No7 things. I ordered from their 3 for 2, added a mascara as again I dread to think how old mine is and then added nail polish as a treat.

I've updated all the spends on YNAB, and there is enough money in the accounts for them, but it means I'll have spent over £800 on my Tesco credit card by statement day. :mad:

One transaction on topcashback has become payable, so will cash that out today, it's £7 something, so will put £5 in one of the envelopes and the other £2 odd will go into the baby or Christmas account!

I've been looking at incentives to start a home delivery grocery shop with one of the supermarkets I don't use (such as money off or cashback) ready for the start of next month so that I can buy meat and bits like that ready to make the next batch of dump meals for the slow cooker. I made 10 last time, and have had 1 a week of these and so far they've all been lovely and lasted 2 night each.
  • Eyebright
    Options
    I looked on the FB group you mentioned for the dump bags, and there are some really nice sounding recipes! I'm definitely going to make up some of these in my "down time" to make things a bit less stressful in the early days of having Little Miss. Such a good idea!

Glad you had a better nights sleep, don't stress too much about the spends, they all sounded needed to me.

ROTFL at your DS wanting to buy the baby socks, bless! :D:p

Hmm, I hadn't given any thought to the fact I might need a maternity coat...will have a think now how cold it's like to be the rest of this month and next month!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Will someone tie my hands up, or cut up my bank cards. :eek:

I've been ordering baby clothes now. Dh put the chest of drawers together, so I started sorting through the clothes we have. I have loads of newborn (after my son, but he was born too big for them so most haven't been worn), but very few up to 1 month. I assumed I'd have loads after ds, but some are in his baby box, a few items were used to make a stuffed toy (will definitely be doing this with baby's clothes) and the rest are too Summery!

I dressed ds1 in outfits quite a lot when he was a baby, but think I'm going to keep this baby in sleepsuits more initially. Nice ones for the day, and plainer ones for night! So, I've ordered a few bits. Oh, and a couple of baby hats, mittens and a snowsuit. Most were from the supermarket, though one or two bits may have just come from Next (including the 'going home outfit').

I've also ordered a dressing gown for ds1 for Christmas, a Christmas gift for dh and some pj's/slippers for my hospital bag (big and baggy!).

I've also ordered my grocery shop for this week from Asda. It's my first order with them, so I have £10 off £50 and £10 cashback (if it tracks - I'm always wary of them tracking!). I've included meat in it to make my next set of dump bags as well as the usual weekly shop (and lots of lager for dh......figured I'd use the £10 off for the lager, 20 cans should keep him going for a little while as he's not a massive drinker!).

YNAB is all up to date, so at least I've kept track of my big spending weekend. :money:

Work tomorrow. 8 weeks tomorrow will be my last day in work before maternity leave starts. :D Eeeeek!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I'm waiting for my alarm to go off!

Looked through YNAB at next month's money and after this weekend next month is going to be a little tight. Doable, but tight. Every month will be tight once I'm on maternity, though, so I may as well get used to it!!

Taking my matb1 form into work today, so fingers crossed it won't be too long before I hear something from hr.

I'm aiming for a nsd today (well I'm actually aiming for a few this week!!). I'm taking my lunch to work and tempted to take a tone of soup as I really don't fancy a sandwich! It's not quite soup weather, but I'll eat it!

Right, time for a quick check through YNAB and the accounts and then I'd better get myself into the shower!
  • Eyebright
    Options
    Morning MrsSave,

Don't beat yourself up on the spends. They all sound essential to me, and would have to be bought at some point, so might as well be now!

I need to buy things for my hospital bag. I really should sort this, as I will need some nighties and a bigger dressing gown. Mine barely reaches round my bump now...and I don't own a pair of slippers. I need to write a very long to-do list me thinks!!!!!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    EF Saving 285/500
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Morning Mrs Save,

Sounds like my few Spendy days last week. Once you pop you just can't stop can you. It was all needed at some point though so don't feel bad. Our bodies are changing we need new clothes. Plus maternity clothes sell quite well on eBay so you can always make your money back at a later date. Good work on more Christmas presents I think the more organised we are with this before babies come the more we will buy smartly before the sleep deprivation kicks in and we go mad!

Hope you have a good day at work. Xx
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income