In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Enjoy the pool, hope you get the chance to use it lots over the summer.
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I agree it's a mystery..well it's not as we all have our spreaddies, YNAB and stuff...but it does seem to go more easily than its earnt!!
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I often wonder if YNAB would help, but to be honest I just need to take a leaf from SSS and stop spending....

We save on the general things like food, utilities, transport, clothes, then go.. "oh gone then" to days out (meals and drinks) and house /garden objects. Because money was so tight the last 10 years or so, lots of things were neglected in the house. This last 18 months has seen us repair and replace several things. We still need to complete the outside fencing, new gate should be in store next week (£24.99). I still have a hole in the kitchen ceiling from the boiler move last june, and no skirting boards to around the new doors (last June), No plaster in bathroom couple square feet.. and tile trims to go on.. We have the stuff to fix these in the house. Oh and now we have wood outside to make a temporary decking area :o:o

And I've given in..... I'm fed up of taking an hour or an hour and a half to get to and from work each way. last year it was beneficial, this year, in my new job it is not so good. My savings are only £50 pcm. I've begged quite literally for a parking permit again. These are £42 pcm, toll roads £55 and then petrol. Because many of my shifts start so early, I'm getting a lift in and paying them anyway... So hopefully lovely mr parking manager will give me access to the off site park which is 10 mins walk away, But Yay :D:D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am just the same , careful with groceries and then splash out on treats :o

Enjoy the pool, are you heating it?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I do the save spend things, but I think it is important to still enjoy yourself on this journey! Wow on the pool! Also, makes sense to do two nights min over hols, more money savvy!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Jodles we are not likely to have an Away holiday this year.. so yes must enjoy home :D Do have a saving pot for it though just in case :D

Newgirly I am thinking about a solar heater for pool, but need to leave that a month or two. A half hr swim a day does make you warm up.. the weather has turned a nasty shade of grey since we put it up :o I won't give in though. The suborn streak in me is alive and swimming :D

DD1's road tax issues were sorted this week. fine reduced to £108... I'm hoping that will teach her a lesson in her own admin. She has a month to pay it so hopefully I won't be needed :D

I gave in waiting for OH to cover outdoor stairs by making a deck, so I got myself a circular saw and did it myself. Looks great... It is a temporary structure to sit on whilst pool is up.. when pool goes down so will the deck until next year. We have an east facing front garden which loses sunshine around 4pm so was a bit necessary. Now all we need is sunshine.

Food shopping still frugal. OH managed to get loaves for 10pence each last week. Had to pay full price today. but shopped in B@M to get ham bread seafood sticks crisps and coffee £8. Spent £1 in Home Barg@ins on mr M@gic oven cleaner

So £69 in total this month. Tomorrow we will do a bigger shop to prepare for night shifts. Last nights tea was BBQ stuff with defrosted baguette that was saved from the bin a few weeks ago. I might make a chicken curry for me an we have a single chicken leg in the freezer, plus lots of other things that no one wants to eat :D

Other spends are not as simple.
    Frontline for doggy £19 (with OH discount)
    Meal out £32 (30% off with voucher code)
    circular saw... £40 (needed to do job as had motivation)
    beers on offer £20 (3 for £20 in Mr m)
    Chlorine ... £13.99
    Evening with old colleagues £10
    Petrol £20
    lunch at work study day £8 if I include the morning coffee
    Parking at study day (in another site) £6.80

DD2 has just got home from her English A level exam.. she said it was good .. yay... Fridays exam to go and hopefully she'll succeed in her plans for uni in September :T :T
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    £71 in the supermarket this am. I took OH's staff card which took 10% the £79 shopping total. Maybe I need to shop there more often. Lots of yellow sticker items too. The freezer full to bursting so no more food needed for the month I hope :D

Total food this month £140

I have been accepted for parking permit again... That will cut my commute from nearly 3 hrs per day to just 1hr :D This is worth the extra £50 pcm. I have been getting more bothered about transport than my job itself. Generally it will work as I will have the car in the day and OH at night. When we are both on nights (like this week) he will take me and pick me up :D

Only foreseeable spends will be petrol, toll, and the gate we have been waiting on. Which is good because I've spent up. We are back to the months of OH pay differing to mine. He gets paid 4 weekly so he'll get paid next Friday and me the following Wednesday. He has only worked contract nights without extras so I don't expect much, his face was not a pretty picture when I told him his pocket money may well be reduced as I needed a certain amount for the bills. cue sharp intake of breath and rolling of the eyes. His extra job has been funding mobile repairs and £50 for OP. He wants to save up, but not at my expense :D... I have reminded him whilst I too have been worried about his lack of savings and everything being in my name, he has his supermarket shares which at cost value to him is £2.5k.... so I'm not worrying any more :D:D:D

I'm ahead of the game and have worked out June salary, spends, savings and OP's. In fact this am I have worked out my mortgage free date will be 01/12/2024. That does ride on us still having a lodger I would think. And I would like to shave a year off that at least.
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    All sounding good :T Boo to grey water though...

We have a query re the room so fingers crossed we get a lodger. From messages person seems v nice, but so much supply at moment I am not holding my breath.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Definitely worth £50pm to cut commute down from 3hours to 1 hour!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Good luck in finding your lodger brizzle. Thankfully still clear water and no grey clouds :D further chlorine bought as original needed a floating dispenser and I didn't read instructions. :o

Yes thankfully commute will lessen, ETE . last year in my 8-8 job it wasn't to bad and I was saving over £200 per month. therefore did less overtime. Since the earlier starts and later finishes 7am -9pm its not worth it.

Still waiting on gate, company now say 6 weeks not 3 for the item... a bit cross as I'd have sourced it on-line. less than helpful/apologetic employee said "what can I do?" well give accurate information for a start.

Suppose a bit grumpy due to just getting up following 1st of 3 night shifts. found Neighbours new lady friend cutting the overhang of his tree in my garden!!! bl@@dy annoys me how people just feel they can invade my privacy. I'm nice constantly in work... that's my job... a home sometimes I just want to be left alone to warm to communicate. mmmmm sent OH out as I was having palpitations. I did say If he wants to cut his tree down from his garden, I would have to think of fencing to go there... Its a beautiful red leaved tree. It's only had leaves this last month and I've been cultivating my side for 11 years. About 5 years ago I came home to find him in my garden and he had cut it to the quick ... So I cut him to the quick!! :o:o

Anyway off for a swim to blow away the cobwebs :D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback