Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I cant help thinking that those endless announcements must drive the staff mad though!

It's Aldi's unexpected item in bagging area irritation
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I cant help thinking that those endless announcements must drive the staff mad though!

What bugs me is when they constantly shout to each other about breaks, n dinner times.Having said that, the staff at my ALDI are really friendly and helpful :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The last couple of weeks I've been buying there chia seed rolls, Aldi 59p and really nice. They had porridge oat topped plus others. My son who only eats proper seeded granary bread, likes them to. I don't know if Scotland only as did have that sticker on the front.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Offer veg in Lidl is 19p. Vinegar has gone up from 21p to 29p. Sliced cheese was £1.39,today £1.29p.
  • Crisps87
    Crisps87 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently restarted shopping at Aldi again, even though I work for one of the "Big Four". Even with my staff discount there is still a hefty saving to be found by shopping at Aldi, although I have noticed some items are the same price, or even more expensive, than buying them from where I work. My Aldi has recently been refurbished and now has more fridges - including a food to go fridge with sandwiches etc in! - more checkouts and it has those "dear customers we are now opening till x" -announcements. Here's what I've found over the past couple of weeks:

Like:
    Specially selected hot cross buns - the brioche ones especially are superb!
    Specially selected yoghurts - nearly half the price of the equivalent elsewhere!
    Roast in the bag chickens - delicious and at £3.79 over £1 cheaper than elsewhere.
    Those big packs of diced beef for about £4.59 - again substantially cheaper than elsewhere
    Those bags of croissants they sell for £1.29-ish. You get about 6-8 and they are delicious! However they're not individually wrapped.
    Corale baked beans - you can get cheaper ones elsewhere, but IMO these are the best baked beans anywhere
    The Chinese chicken curry ready meal - delicious and again about £1 cheaper than elsewhere
    The haddock risotto ready meal: expensive for Aldi at £2.29 but an equivalent style of ready meal elsewhere would be at least £3, and it's very nice.
    Them fake Greek style muller lights: 89p for four versus £2.50 for four proper muller lights, but exactly the same!

Don't like:
    The loaves of bread in the big brown packets: nothing against them really I just wasn't keen.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aldi's SS lamb Rogan Josh is fab and only 1 syn on Slimming World
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's something in the press today about someone opening a multi pack of Aldi hoops to find it full of Hula Hoops so now we know :D
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Edit: I went looking for it too!
    Here's the story in the Daily Mirror, confirming what many of us were fairly certain about:
    Hula Hoops in Aldi Snackrite bag
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • captainbeaker
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    There's something in the press today about someone opening a multi pack of Aldi hoops to find it full of Hula Hoops so now we know :D
    That doesn't surprise me, I know from someone that works in the factory that aldi's Belmont biscuit range, such as bourbons,custard creams etc are made by Fox's. They actually make biscuits for Lidl as well although I can't remember the brand name they use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure