The dangers of not cycling

Options
Why do some people still not cycle? Do they want medical problems? Cancer heart attacks? Depression? We all know that not cycling is dangerous but so many people still do it. People realised that smoking was dangerous so most people stopped. Not cycling is dangerous too.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bicycles are nasty dangerous things best avoided.

080603-bike-accident-hmed-330a.grid-6x2.jpg
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I overturned my tricycle, as a child, so never dared risk a bike, but I'm still here at 68.
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah damn. I run, play football and be a "not cyclist" every week. Didn't realise I was going to give myself a cancer heart attack. So long everyone.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd rather die early than look like a wally in lycra.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need Lycra, a flat cap will do the trick.

5jww11.gif
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Why do some people still not cycle? Do they want medical problems? Cancer heart attacks? Depression? We all know that not cycling is dangerous but so many people still do it. People realised that smoking was dangerous so most people stopped. Not cycling is dangerous too.

I cycle to work each day but If I had a job within walking distance I would probably just walk.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got a bike, it's unexciting.... I only dare take it out "as far as I can push it home" as there's usually some sort of eventuality. The chain comes off, I get a puncture, or (like last time) some plonker pulled out right in front of me and I ended up on the floor with a bent front end....

On the basis I only cycle as far as I can push it home, it's really not very enticing :)

And it's windy .... and when you get to wherever you've got a bike to worry about .... will it be nicked, did I have the right sort of lock, will some plonker dump their bike on it, will some scr0at nick the seat, or one of the wheels ....

So it's not really enjoyable ... or exciting .... at all.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 May 2017 at 8:06PM
    Options
    Bikes are "passay" now. It's them fabulously fast scooters that are all the rage at present.

They look so cool and SAFE lol.

I took my bike out to the park at the back of my house last week. First time in ten or so years (it had been fixed up to encourage me). No traffic, bike lanes etc. I went !!!!! over head within the first 100 yards. Nothing broken except my pride. The kids were having a great hoot at my predicament.

That's it, no more. Stick to the walking thank you very much, but I am tempted by the scooters!

This is the kind of scooter I'm talking about..

big_281aaa5c75194141b036fbc290a35fac.jpg
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    .... and when you get to wherever you've got a bike to worry about .... will it be nicked, did I have the right sort of lock, will some plonker dump their bike on it, will some scr0at nick the seat, or one of the wheels .......

After having a bike nicked I would only now ever consider a folder which removes that problem.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cycling is actually very efficient for us. There are other, more effective ways to exercise. Though I agree that it is a great alternative to driving short distances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure