Pip and hb

Options
I already claim housing benefit but am awaiting a decision on a pip claim. I understand if my claim is awarded my housing benefit will increase. My question is will I get the extra housing benefit backdated? Thank you

Comments

• Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Jowhittle wrote: »
    I already claim housing benefit but am awaiting a decision on a pip claim. I understand if my claim is awarded my housing benefit will increase. My question is will I get the extra housing benefit backdated? Thank you

What are your current financial circumstances (i.e. what is your income)? How old are you? Are you living in private rented or social housing? What is your current rent and how much housing benefit are you receiving?

An award of PIP doesn't necessarily mean an automatic increase in Housing Benefit.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Jowhittle
    Options
    I currently live in a privately rented property with 3 children. I receive income support and child tax credit. My rent is 695pcm and receive less than 400 housing benefit. I am 37 and my children are 12, 7 and 4. Thank you
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    What sex are the children and how many bedrooms do you have?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Can I ask what local authority area you are so I can look at the LHA rate.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HBO, please correct me if I am wrong but since the OP is on Income Support if she is awarded PIP then it will be her Income support that will be increased by way of disability premiums.

I do not believe that if her IS increases by way of disability premiums then her HB award will be affected.
  • Jowhittle
    Options
    I live in teignbridge. My eldest is a boy then 2 girls. Thank you
  • Jowhittle
    Options
    I have 3 bedrooms which is the right amount. Thank you
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So your LHA rate for 3 beds is £153.02 per week - S. Devon or £164.79 per week - Exeter.

Since you are not having your rent paid in full (or at least to the maximum LHA rate for 3 bed) because you are on IS then it seems that you are currently subject to the Benefit Cap. (£500 max in benefits per week including Child Tax Credits.)

So, receiving PIP will exempt you from the benefit cap and your HB should be backdated to the decision date of your PIP award.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/the-benefit-cap/the-benefit-cap-what-you-need-to-know/

PS Your Income Support should increase too if you are awarded PIP.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That £400 HB doesn't sound like enough to me. Are you paying back an overpayment or something?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry pmlindyloo i didn't see your post, i was too slow typing the above lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure