PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fake semen :eek: :rotfl: the mind boggles! Could you not try putting it through a sieve?

I've sieved it twice. It's.... kind of gel like in texture. Doesn't taste too bad, but the texture is... wrong.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all

Please may I join/re-join you all? Tried hard to keep up with the previous tough thread, but failed so miserably that I think I only managed to post a couple of times! :D

DH works for himself, pays himself VERY little so they can pay their overheads, I work for local authority :o & with my shiny new contract am down 75% on my previous annual earnings! :eek:. We have a 19 yr old, almost 4 yr old & 18 month, older kids live away, so you can imagine finances are getting squeezed just a tad!

I do know how to live on next to no money, did it for years when our older kids were little, but think I've lost the plot a bit so am re-learning all the old tricks. Jobs for the next couple of weeks include pricing up new house insurance, looking at gas/electricity costs, trying to sell odds & ends through local paper/websites and getting on top of food stocktake and menu planning again.

Hope I can keep up with you marvellous folks - I did read the last thread, just never got time to post or chat! :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Softstuff
    edited 28 April 2011 at 8:45AM
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Softstuff - you give such an "enchanting" description that I wonder if I really fancy it now.....:cool:

Howsomever - on the long list of culinary experiments I am working my way through is having a go at making my own rice milk. I am a bit nervous about this - as I like one brand of this, but not others...

The one I like is Rice Dream as I recall.

Anyways - DO let us know how it works out and whether its more like Rice Dream or the brands I dont like or ...even worse than the brands I dont like and, if 'tis any good, then your particular recipe for it please.:)

It's absolutely nothing like any of the commercial brands. I dare say it'll make a decent thick spanish hot chocolate, without adding anything to thicken or it'll be fine in some sort of baking maybe, but you sure wouldn't want to try and drink it as is or put it on something where it would remain obvious.

Edit: recipe was here http://www.food.com/recipe/d-i-y-rice-milk-51109, but take my word for it, it's not good.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Eww

Do you have any instant hot chocolate in store? That's quite nice with cereal - although with Weetabix it would all look a bit sludge coloured. But then Weetabix goes sludge coloured anyway as soon as you start eating.

OK I'll stop wittering now
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wonder if you could have weetabix with fruit juice? It works with ''hard'' cereals. I imagine it would be edible at least.
    I hate that thick hot chocolate, the sound of the milk revolts me I'm afraid.
  • Softstuff
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Eww

Do you have any instant hot chocolate in store? That's quite nice with cereal - although with Weetabix it would all look a bit sludge coloured. But then Weetabix goes sludge coloured anyway as soon as you start eating.

OK I'll stop wittering now

Thanks for the suggestion, but no. That would have been an excellent idea if we had any.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Heard on the grapevine that veggie prices are set to soar which means meat prices as well due to knock on effect to cost of feeding animals; because the last 2 months have been so dry - so get diggin' girls and boys
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kitchenbunny (love the name!) also plant chives near carrots too as they keep the fly away. I have been given some kohl rabi seeds. Can someone please tell me what the hell this is??? :D It sounds like some new eye liner that clinique have brought out.

Grown Nasturtums near radishes cabbages etc and they also protect toms from whitefly. Marigolds are another one to plant too. Chives also deter cabbage worms. I have collars for mine too.

I am looking for a new broadband provider but am a bit scared to leave BT. I have my mobile with O2 so am looking at them. Anyone got any experience as I need reliability? I will post on the relevant board but you lot know EVERYTHING!!! :rotfl:

Today is HOLIDAY!!!! :T Watch out pitlane...Chez Red is on the move!!! :D If it rains I will be most pd off as camping in the rain is not fun! FK and the OBB are off in the cattery and I have a house sitter. OBB is spoilt rotten in the cattery and somehow manages to work the cat flap. They love him down there. He had to go to the vets the other day and the vet said when listening to his heart "I dont want to listen to that anymore. It is scaring me!" They are stunned he is still clinging onto life. He isnt going anywhere yet!:D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The dry weather is impacting on my neighbours. I have grumbled about the cost of our own water, but it means we can water our land without impacting on the ''communal reserve'' at all (as well as rain water from surface and our agricultural rooves and yard surfaces we store our grey water too ). Lots of our neighbours are worried about their silage crops....I have enough grass to make hay already....but no means of cutting it...and local contractors are SO expensive..means I can't sell the cut for what it costs me to make it. My neighbour is organic and we are not, other wise I'd share my grass with him. we are thinking about going organic in future years, but not before we have sprayed for a couple of years.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With regards to the rice milk thing, could you cook with it? If you could make it into a cheese sauce to cover vegetables or like a macaroni cheese it might get around the texture issue.

Butterfly Brain - thanks for that, I shall look at what we use and make some plans.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure