Disco Dolly V's Debt

Options

Comments

• BettyBones
    BettyBones Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Disco Dolly... where you go? Hope all is okey dokey with you?
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
  • Disco_Dolly
    Disco_Dolly Posts: 196 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 April 2017 at 12:58PM
    Options
    BettyBones wrote: »
    Hey Disco Dolly... where you go? Hope all is okey dokey with you?

Oh Betty, I'm still here, thanks for asking. I've had a disaster month for April so trying to recover as quickly as I can.

So 3 things happened that cost money - car trouble, emergency dental work for me and trip to A&E for DD (she is fine, suspected broken bone but all turned out Ok thank god!). I only had a little bit of savings which was originally meant for car insurance which is up next month :( So I ended up having to put €300 on the credit card which I suppose is not that bad seeing as the 3 things hit at once. I've since managed to pay €200 off the credit card. So my debt total has only risen by €100 which in the grand scheme of things I suppose is not that bad. But I feel like a failure as the debt total is going the wrong direction for the first time in a long time. And I've depleted my car insurance savings pot. Disaster month. But I'm going to dust myself off and May will be a better month.
    LBM Jan 2014: €21,746.34
    Total Dec 2017: €0.00
    (Debt Free 29th Dec 2017)
  • Disco_Dolly
    Options
    Monthly update below:

01 Jan - €9,092.38
    01 Feb - €8,570.04
    01 Mar - €8,051.90
    01 Apr - €3,600.00
    01 May - €3,700.00

Debt total risen due to April disasters, working to turn it around for June but not sure what progress I will make as car insurance is due at the end of May and my renewal is €890 (car insurance is ridiculous in Ireland!). I might end of having to pay car insurance monthly by direct debit, I havent decided yet. Onwards & downwards for June!
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Aww... Disco.... what a bummer! I think our children must be connected in some way. My DS was also in A&E last week, with a suspected broken ankle, but thankfully it was just ligament damage. it's the second time he's done it in 3 months so I've booked him in for some physio which luckily won't cost me anything as he's covered until he's 18 under the free health care plan I get through work.

You haven't failed at all. Life is constantly throwing us curve balls. It's how we deal with them that matters :) Just put it behind you and keep on keeping and you'll get there. I have every confidence in you. And I'm hanging around these ere forums until I see your debt free post on the roll of honour too! So don't you be leaving me haha
  • Disco_Dolly
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    BettyBones wrote: »
    Aww... Disco.... what a bummer! I think our children must be connected in some way. My DS was also in A&E last week, with a suspected broken ankle, but thankfully it was just ligament damage. it's the second time he's done it in 3 months so I've booked him in for some physio which luckily won't cost me anything as he's covered until he's 18 under the free health care plan I get through work.

You haven't failed at all. Life is constantly throwing us curve balls. It's how we deal with them that matters :) Just put it behind you and keep on keeping and you'll get there. I have every confidence in you. And I'm hanging around these ere forums until I see your debt free post on the roll of honour too! So don't you be leaving me haha

Thanks Betty, teenagers eh?! I swear DD is known by name in A&E, only for the accidents all happen at school, social services would have been called at this stage! I've just realised that I can claim the A&E back through a school insurance policy that I pay, will get on to that on Monday. And similarly I am entitled to some refund back on my dental work through my health insurance, must look into that too. And another plus - I've been shopping round for cheaper car insurance online all afternoon and have found another company that is €300 cheaper for a better policy! So its all looking up already. At least I can get some money back and throw is back at the debt. I really must build back up my emergency fund though, its zero at the moment.
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Hahaha... likewise... my DS has been to A&E no less than 9 times in the last 2 years! :eek: And pretty much all through playing football/rugby at school. Although his latest trip was the result of falling in a pot hole whilst playing footie on a camping trip! :rotfl:

Fab news about the car insurance and being able to claim a bit back on your medical expenses. Every little helps... :T

My emergency fund is sitting at pretty much zero too :( But I plan to work on that when I get back from me holibobs.

Have a great (debt-busting) week! :)
  • Disco_Dolly
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi DFW's,

I am getting so lax at updates lately. Its like I am money focused until April and then I go off the rails! It must be like a new years resolution thing that I am enthusiastic for the first few months lol

Good news on the money recuperation front! I have put in a health insurance claim against dental & doctors expenses for €75 back of the €200 I paid out (I always forget I can claim stuff back). I have 3 more payments to make to the dentist totaling €200 and I can get a further €75 back on those too once I have invoices showing payment. I also have DD's accident claim form in with the school to be signed so I can claim €145 back on that, hopefully she remembers to actually pick the form up for me today, its in the school office since last week, she is so forgetful! So once those claims go through I will have €295 back from the €545 I paid out so not too bad at all. I am aiming to put all this off the credit card when it comes through. I'll be back on track then.

Also on car insurance I continued shopping around and I managed to get a better deal off another insurance company and knocked €329 off the price my current insurance company was looking for. I paid for that on Friday so kinda broke now but its worth it to get the bill out of the way for the year. I usually pay it monthly throughout the year so feel like a grown up paying in full :D Its one less direct debit coming out of my bank account, I'm hoping to do the same with car insurance, bin charges and tv license later this year, the less monthly bills the better! I'm aiming for as many NSD's as possible this week, fingers crossed.

I also managed to do my parents a favour, I discovered they should be deferring their property tax rather than paying it so they are entitled to a refund in excess of €750 as they are both on pensions and shouldnt have been paying. I filled in forms and sent off in the post for them. My mam is delighted but she is not telling my dad, so devious LOL

I had a lovely weekend, I got all my clothes dry on Saturday on the clothes line outside, there is something very therapeutic about hanging clothes out to dry. I even put up an extra clothes line to increase my line space using hooks in the concrete fence panel posts and a length of washing line, I was very proud of myself altogether. We also had an impromptu BBQ yesterday followed by apply tart for dessert and it was fab. The weekend just flew by!

Better get back to work, so much to do! Have a great week DFW's :j
  • Disco_Dolly
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi DFW's,

DD remembered to pick up the form from school office so I sent that off in the post yesterday evening, I think a claim takes about 2 weeks to be settled and for a cheque to be posted. On the other hand my medical insurance have already processed the claim I put in for doc visit and 2 dental visits so money should be winging its way to my account by tomorrow. Good result! I am brutal at making claims so feeling proud of myself for being on top of all this. My employer pays my medical insurance and I never claim anything back, I'm a disaster. I think this time everything hit me at once so it gave me the kick I needed to claim. April showers are almost reversed at this point! I'm not sure if I will get my debt total down much this month though as between everything that went wrong and car insurance I am still in the hole. But things should improve from June onwards. I think my DFD has moved out to Sept/Oct though at this stage but I'll keep plugging away.

Happy Tuesday to you all :D
  • Disco_Dolly
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi DFW's,

Oops getting so bad at updating this diary! Update I got the cheque back from DD's school insurance and lodged it on Friday, hopefully it will clear later this week. I also got the medical insurance claim back and lodged to my account. So I have paid a bit back to the credit card and my new debt total is €3450. I cant afford to pay much more this month as I am still scrimping after paying the full years car insurance. April was a disaster month for me and May isnt much better due to car insurance. But from June onwards all should be OK and I'll be back on track and hopefully paying about €700 a month off the credit card. Its great only having one debt to concentrate on. I'm going to throw everything at it until its gone, no matter how small a payment.

I'm happier now that I am back on track, onwards & downwards!
  • Disco_Dolly
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi DFW's,

I'm having a mostly lazy Sunday, the only thing I have done is all the laundry which is now out on the line in the sunshine. DD is busy studying for exams upstairs, she is finished her 2nd year of secondary school at the end of this week. Can't believe how quickly that school year has gone.

On the debt front I am still at €3450 and that is where is will stay until next payday. I applied for a new credit card with a 0% balance transfer so just waiting to hear back on that, it will save me about €250 of interest if I stick to my payment plan and make me debt free one payday earlier so decided to go for it! There are not many 0% balance transfer offers in Ireland, this one is a new credit card on the market and its 0% balance transfer for 9 months so it suits me. Better in my pocket and all that!

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business