I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• 117pauline
    Options
    Good Afternoon

I think Christmas is a difficult time for so many people. I blame advertisers who constantly give us the idea that we will have the best Christmas ever, as long as we spend madly.

I hate the idea that children are fed constant Christmas sale advertisements or shop displays from September. It misses the whole point of goodwill to all. It isn't all about the number of parcels you get or the value of the gifts.

Good luck with the menu plan. I'm getting quite good at using previous ones so it can be done quickly. I have even got one for Christmas meals so I can get everything in. I can't buy treats though as I give in to the temptation of them being in the cupboard. We might be cooking the Christmas meal away from home as my partner's mum is having her hip replaced around the fifteenth.

Your almost slip up with the money transfer shows your mindset is changing. You thought about it but didn't take it up. The debt accumulates over time and it will go in a similar way. It takes time and it can be really boring. However it will get better as the debt gets smaller. Good habits will have to be learnt and practised so it becomes second nature.

I hope you are having a relaxing weekend, once you get rid of your To Do list

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    117pauline wrote: »
    Good Afternoon

I think Christmas is a difficult time for so many people. I blame advertisers who constantly give us the idea that we will have the best Christmas ever, as long as we spend madly.

I hate the idea that children are fed constant Christmas sale advertisements or shop displays from September. It misses the whole point of goodwill to all. It isn't all about the number of parcels you get or the value of the gifts.

Good luck with the menu plan. I'm getting quite good at using previous ones so it can be done quickly. I have even got one for Christmas meals so I can get everything in. I can't buy treats though as I give in to the temptation of them being in the cupboard. We might be cooking the Christmas meal away from home as my partner's mum is having her hip replaced around the fifteenth.

Your almost slip up with the money transfer shows your mindset is changing. You thought about it but didn't take it up. The debt accumulates over time and it will go in a similar way. It takes time and it can be really boring. However it will get better as the debt gets smaller. Good habits will have to be learnt and practised so it becomes second nature.

I hope you are having a relaxing weekend, once you get rid of your To Do list

Take care
    Pauline

Thanks. I was pleased that I didn’t do the transfer as it’s too easily done.

That’s a good idea about the meal plan. I might do it on the computer and then save as a template and adapt it. I’ve handwritten one now until near Xmas!

Nearly completed my list but did the hoovering as well and my business work took me longer than expected but I have made £150 of unexpected sales so I can’t complain!

Have a lovely weekend too .
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Good morning,

I managed to do everything on my list including completing the nursery form plus more. Yesterday was a very productive and frugal day but I do feel tired today and will give myself a semi day off.

I do need to :

Put washing away
    Make roast.... maybe
    Pack items to post tomorrow
    Make lunches for tomorrow

We are going to the cinema but we will bring snacks with us.

I worked out that I still need £400 towards Xmas and general semding for the rest of the year but I’m hoping to have made it by the end of the week. I then need about £400 for December’s pay so I really need to make lots and lots of sales. A lot of ppl say don’t get into debt for Xmas which I completely agree with but I’m already in debt so should I not spend any money in my account on Xmas as that could go towards debt? This is the dilemma I find myself in regularly, should I have entertainment money when I have debt ( this money includes everything , hair cuts, school trips, sch fayre) when is it ok to spend money. I pay at least my minimums every month but try to clear more.

Have a nice day x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have saved for Christmas through the year by writing down everyone I buy for and how much I want to spend on them , it also included birthdays, Mother's Day , Father's Day and a little extra . Then I split it on 10 payments Jan to oct. the November and December amounts have become my Christmas spends for meals and drinks out , and all the extras that happen at Christmas.
    I give myself £100 spends each month I use this for hair cuts , waxing and entertainment. I am lucky that I have a niece who does my hair for £20.

I think even when you are in debt you need to set aside some spends, as I know for me I would give up completely if I didn't.

Hope this helps.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I have saved for Christmas through the year by writing down everyone I buy for and how much I want to spend on them , it also included birthdays, Mother's Day , Father's Day and a little extra . Then I split it on 10 payments Jan to oct. the November and December amounts have become my Christmas spends for meals and drinks out , and all the extras that happen at Christmas.
    I give myself £100 spends each month I use this for hair cuts , waxing and entertainment. I am lucky that I have a niece who does my hair for £20.

I think even when you are in debt you need to set aside some spends, as I know for me I would give up completely if I didn't.

Hope this helps.

That’s how I feel, so nice to know it’s not just me. I’m lucky that I have a friend do my hair for a tenner. I allocate £100 entertainment too.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am sure other people will do or say things differently but this way has worked for me . It took me a while to get my head round things and I still have the urge to splash out ( apple gadgets being my weakness ) but I know it's not forever.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I don't think you should or can cut your spending down to zero when repaying debts, you can't do 'boom and bust' it's about retraining your financial habits so you don't end up in the same place again. Be frugal, but realistic.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

Dh has been paid today, which means I can actually make some payments towards the cc!

I have a busy day today as I need to pop to town to pick up some prescriptions and then a friend over.

To do today:

Make minimums and update spreadsheet and signature
    Washing
    Collect prescriptions
    Post business items

That’s all I will realistically get done apart from the usual looking after dd, school runs, cooking dinner etc

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Minimums paid, I would have liked the debt to have gone down more but I’m being realistic. I might be able to make extra payments if my business carries on going well.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    But the debt is going down not up. That equals success.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure