NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Options

Comments

• ooitsme
    Options
    Morning check in. Made a couple of mistakes yesterday but it's only day 2 so it's a learning curve. I felt desperate for coffee straight after my 06:45 spin class and got a Costa as I couldn't go home before work! So, I am now planning to take my travel mug and see if it stays hot enough, if not I will find one that does!
    Secondly I didn't eat for the whole day and then craved sugar and bought ice cream when I was shopping for the few things I needed to get through the week,, so I came home and made very cheap post gym frittata which I've cut into pieces and will take with me, so that should solve that problem! Hoping for a NSD today, have a good one all!
    DFW Progress 29/12/17
    CC1 - £1500. CC2 - £750
    CC3 - £200. CC4 - £200
    PD - £347
    M/C1 - M/C2 -
    Student loan - £3350
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Kerry woman - congrats on the job!:T

ccl - hopefully the attitude of 'that' class may improve? - what year group are they?

squirrelgirl - I never count work related reimbursable expenses if that's my only spend - you often don't have a choice as to when you spend it/ you get repaid

stoplurking - yes - yoga= exercise :) (and me time! :D)

bizzie - I count the actual spend after the coupons are taken off - so the net spend, as opposed to the gross. I know some then save the coupon value for debt repayment/ savings/ mtge OP but I don't :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Apologies not shown my face on here yet.

Have managed to spend every day so far. Had joys of suspension spring going on my car so £150 added to my debt yesterday, today added my car insurance £130 as I have no EF to my name. My car now needs next month new disc brakes another £200 and today I have someone pricing up a new porch door as nightmare to open and close it(old Patio doors and despite greasing them they won't move. Never going to be debt free at this rate. Just hope solution to my doors will be reasonable.

Haven't gone mad spending bit on food and wasted a SFD on a coffee as I needed to loo in McD's

So back in the fold and more determined not to spend, waste food and eat rubbish.

Today will be hopefully be SFD 1/18.

Catch up later on all news later.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Again late - but that's because I was dealing with the freezer until gone 10pm last night and didn't get on laptop all day :(

We ended up losing ice cream (full tub + 1 cone), 3 bags of frozen fruit (rhubarb, elderberries, blueberries), some bread, 1.5 slices of ham, most of a tin of spaghetti hoops, 6 large tubs of hm chicken stock and some other bits. Today I've had to cook a kilo of mince and will need to roast 3 chickens when they have fully defrosted (At least I'll be able to replace the chicken stock! :p) I also have some cooked chicken defrosted which I'm trying to figure out how to save (my lunch + a defrosted breaded flattened chicken breast and some coleslaw with sad looking veggies, my dinner may well involve some of the cooked chicken, DS1's dinner involves some marinaded chicken (may top it up with some of the cooked chicken) OH is having roast (fresh - he hates leftovers)

I will be doing a small shop today - mainly for things to go in/ with things I've had to cook (such as peppers for the chilli & bolognaise) - and more milk!

Scores on the doors so far:

SFDs - 2/18. Yesterday I bought milk (only a small amount in view of fridge/ freezer issues) + some YS items, thereby maintaining my SFD (phew!) I had to take my son to his new school for a Y& induction afternoon - only 1.5 hours. Had planned to come home (20 min drive) to carry on clearing out f/ freezer but there are roadworks, meaning drive was crazy. Instead I nipped to the local retail park just down the road and window shopped - and found nothing I wanted. I refused to go into town for a wander as I would have had to pay parking.

Extra monies/ debt repayment - large item sold on ebay being collected/ paid for tonight - will be paid to 0% cc where new f/ freezer has been put!

Food - £75.46/ £450

Eating up/ using up stuff - we are being forced to in order to minimise losses! In a similar(ish) vein - I got a couple of boxes of clothes (hand me downs from DS1/ DS2) down from the loft Monday - DS2 & DS3 now have lots of new-to-them clothes for their wardrobes! :D:T (ok - it's not using up as such - but it's using stuff we already have, rather than buying more)

Lunches taken - OH & I both at home this week. Children all have packed lunches.

Social life - none as yet! :rotfl:

Exercise - now 2/3 for this week. Am including the almost hour's walk around retail park yesterday afternoon (I could have sat in car playing on phone) - I chose to walk quickly between shops at opposite ends and back of the retail park. Plus last night was spent manoeuvring an American style f/ freezer out of kitchen, around from the back of house and then around the front and under the porch! - my fitbit registered it! :D

Beauty
    - now £2.80/ £10 - DD's shampoo & conditioner had some bottles YS yesterday, so I bought them (supplies for uni)

Time for self - definitely lacking yesterday - but that's ok overall

Heating off - no chance of it going on yet!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Calling14 wrote: »
    Apologies not shown my face on here yet.

Have managed to spend every day so far. Had joys of suspension spring going on my car so £150 added to my debt yesterday, today added my car insurance £130 as I have no EF to my name. My car now needs next month new disc brakes another £200 and today I have someone pricing up a new porch door as nightmare to open and close it(old Patio doors and despite greasing them they won't move. Never going to be debt free at this rate. Just hope solution to my doors will be reasonable.

Haven't gone mad spending bit on food and wasted a SFD on a coffee as I needed to loo in McD's

So back in the fold and more determined not to spend, waste food and eat rubbish.

Today will be hopefully be SFD 1/18.

Catch up later on all news later.

Cars are money pits aren't they. Ours will need a service soon and I'm sure new tyres. Always feels we had that just done. Don't let it get you down too much. If the car is an essential these things happen unfortunately and need to be done/paid for.

Well done on then not going out and thinking, s*d it might as well spend on this and this :T. That's the spirit.

(P.S. shouldn't they let you go to the loo for free, not sure what the law is here but in Germany businesses cannot deny you the use of their facilities even as a non customer)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Calling14
    Options
    Thanks Thrifty. There will be n flittering of money away here.:D

I have popped in Mcd's a few times to use the loo in the past. Seeing it was nice and empty thought a chilled out coffee would be great. Pity when they build these industrial parks they don't think of providing customer loos.:mad:
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    shouldn't they let you go to the loo for free, not sure what the law is here but in Germany businesses cannot deny you the use of their facilities even as a non customer)

I believe it is called a McPoo, using the facilities without buying anything. It is a recognised protest activity. You could also have claimed you were boycotting their products due to the labour relations and 0 hrs contracts. Bit of an odd way to show your solidarity but you have to do what you can:rotfl:
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • NelliePie
    Options
    Hi All, not a NSD for us as the DH2B has had to nip out to get milk, laundry detergent and stamps (so we can send our Save the Dates!) I had a lovely time last night writing them out whilst watching the bake off! 4/30
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Calling14
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    I believe it is called a McPoo, using the facilities without buying anything. It is a recognised protest activity. You could also have claimed you were boycotting their products due to the labour relations and 0 hrs contracts. Bit of an odd way to show your solidarity but you have to do what you can:rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Weighing in with NSD 4 already. Should have been spendy but due to tradesmen being water soluble or badly organised, they have not needed paying.

Tumble dryer broke down but still has 5 weeks left on the 12 month warranty so getting a new control board and heating element before it is no longer for free. - I only wanted to dry off the school uniform that had been on the line, it was a good job I did or I might not have used it for another couple of weeks.

Heating still firmly off in the L'shire, mentioned it on the playground and was surprised the amount of people who have theirs on already. People really fall for the nonsense that kids must be kept at a steady 18 degrees.
    Those nursery thermometers that you stick to the wall are the culprit I bet. The ones with HOT, OK and TOO COLD you get in the baby packs.

Using up stuff - two ends of toothpaste tubes gone by putting them on kids toothbrushes before they get up and having them ready at bedtime. My kids only recognise mostly full tubes.
    Two ends of moisturising cream, slathered on anything that hasn't got out of the way fast enough. Good job I don't have a cat.

Eating from freezer going really well. Using up odds and sods all over the place. Tonight will be an all day breakfast using up veggie bacon and veggie sausages with all the YS mushrooms, tomatoes from fridge with lots of YS toast and YS (boshed tins) baked beans. The kids will love it. The fridge will look much neater and may even be cleared and cleaned by Friday.

All kids sent in with packed lunches £2.20 a day is a bargain for school dinners but with 4 kids =£8.80 a day, which will make them ALL lunches for a week including extra drinks.So pack ups it is,

Feeling soup-dragon like at the minute. It feels a little bit Autumny. And now I have mastered dough balls, home made soup and dough ball
    s is apparently a suitable supper as long as it is followed by ice cream.
    I love it, it is packed with veg, and low fat, and cost pence. Win, win, win.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport