Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Options

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    karen.r wrote: »
    It's National Debtline who suspect identity theft, not Red. Thanks for the concern. I will make sure I don't send Red any information because I don't intend to pay anybody elses debts for them, I have enough of my own bills to pay.

Thanks, karen, for your clarification. Many dcas do 'try' the identity fraud approach, and have been known to co-erce 'debtors' into signing pieces of paper allowing them to act on behalf of that 'debtor' only to find that the dca claims that they have 'acknowledged the debt'.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • merlyn2003
    merlyn2003 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I got a letter from them today demanding payment for a "capital one card"
    I have only ever had 1 credit card! That card was & is issued by my BANK!
    I have never needed another!
    The last time I used my credit card was june 2005 when I bought a 12 month subscription to XBoxLive...
    I just don't use it!
    Who are these people????
    confused.gif
    I have never been in Debt! I have never had a "Capital One Card"
    I am too much of a snob to have one!
    My credit report has no debt listed against me!
    My credit report does list Lowell/Red as having done 4 searches over the last 4 months...
    I checked the company numbers on the letter & on their former website & got this:-
    The company was registered with the FSA #314677
    It is now listed as "No longer Authorised"

Companies house listing reads "Status: Liquidation"

Accounting Reference Date: 31/01
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/09/2005 (FULL)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/11/2007 OVERDUE
    Last Return Made Up To: 15/08/2006
    Next Return Due: 12/09/2007 OVERDUE
    Company #04271130

Wind Up Date:26/09/2007
    Appoint Practitioner:26/09/2007spacer.gif

How can they still be operating???
    What is this??
    ??Fraudsters using the Identity of a liqidated company??
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    red is one name used by lowell -will try and ferret out more info.

And it would not be altogether unusual for someone to get a letter regarding a debt they do not owe. That is DCAs for you.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • RAS
    Options
    Here is info on the Lowell group, which also operates as Red Debt Collection

http://www.lowellgroup.co.uk/terms.html
  • gafferdave_2
    Options
    I've just received a letter from Red Debt Collection services in regards to me owing 3G Mobile £129-93.

Now after researching up and reading these forums i contacted them up to find out a bit more about the above debt. Now they asked me to verify details of which i refused as i informed them i was refusing to give away details that they not informed me they have. (i.e i confirmed my name and address as per the addressed letter). Anyhow after discussing it further the operative asked that if she gave me part of my apparant birthday and it was correct then we could discuss things further. However when she informed me that my birth year was 1970 (of which it is incorrect) she suddenly clammed up and told me to write to them.

What would be the advise that you would give myself?
  • RAS
    Options
    Hi

There are loads of recent problems with 3 mobiles sold through the carphone warehouse recently, and red/Lowell. Will ferret out a few.
  • RAS
    Options
  • cw1981
    Options
    i received a red debt letter claiming i owed hundreds of pounds on a mobile phone contract i had years ago, the phone company was not the same as the one i was with and si i went on a forum that had lots of people having the same problems, a very imformed kind gentleman informed me not to ring them, apparently this is the first mistake (red debt by out of date debts that are illegal to pursue and by ringing them you are claiming the debt to be yours and that is all they need to pursue you). he advised me to email or post the following letter although i was very doubtful it would work:

Dear Adam Bartle,

You have contacted me regarding the account with reference to *********, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to company T Mobile and have never been a customer of T Mobile.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and/or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Clare Whiteley

i sent this through email and am happy to say that even though it did take a while i have received an email back today appologising and stating that they will no longer be pursuing me for this debt.

i hope this helps anyone else because this type of thing needs to be fought against.

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk has lots of people with simular issues and the man that helped me on there has lots of different letters to help you out with.

good luck

• cw1981
    Options
    also i thought this may help too, this is a letter for anyone who feels that red debt have purchased a debt that is 6 years or older, if you feel that the debt has not been pursued for years and now all of a sudden this company is asking you for money with some nice chargers added for them then this may help.

To: ...Creditor ?
    WITHOUT PREJUDICE
    Dear Sir/Madam
    Account No:
    You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.
    I/we would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 "an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".
    I/we would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".
    The last correspondence/payment/acknowledgement or payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I/we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.
    The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".
    I/we await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.
    I/we look forward to your reply.
    Yours faithfully
    (Your signature)
  • cw1981
    Options
    their email address refuses to accept emails and they probably wont accept letters either.
    quote]

i sent them an email about a month ago and got a response through the mail so i have an email address that works [EMAIL="post@reddcs.com"]post@reddcs.com[/EMAIL] :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure