Mrs P's Diary - The Final Push

Options

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loving that phrase "muck and bullets". :)

You can reheat pancakes with a cheese and ham sauce in the microwave - actually tasted better than the freshly made ones the night before.

At the weekend (is it really Friday tomorrow?) I batch cooked macaroni cheese and chilli - I had some leftover mash and lumped that on top of the chilli - a kind of cottage chill pie. We had some of that for tea tonight. Packed lunches done - mine a ham sandwich, DH a big pasty thing I got for about 49p a couple of months ago and its been in the freezer ever since.

tea tomorrow we are really splashing out and having beans on toast.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    A first - DH and I stayed in for Valentine's Day - cleaned the kitchen, watched TV and cooked our own special meal. Guess what? We seriously enjoyed our day and the kitchen looks fab.

A small (and I mean small) monetary victory - a seriously stressful day at work resulting in my needing to stock up on Anadin Extras. Priced at £1.99 in Boots - when I got to the till was asked for £2. I pointed out that even though it was only a penny it would be better in my pocket than theirs :)

Dinner tonight is pie - yellow stickered - and serves 4 so will be chopped into four and DH and I will have a quarter each tonight and the other two quarters will go into the butty boxes for packed lunhces. Served with mash and peas.
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    Reading some of the threads on the forum at lunchtime I came across the Skint Dad's 365 day penny challenge. Have decided to join. I am using a wooden box DH made at work which we can't break into! Have put in £15.96 so am now up to date.

I took a photo of it but can't work out to post it! will try and figure it out.
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    I think I need to use a third party software to upload photos so I won't bother - thought it was easy like Facebook. Never mind - it wasn't that mind-blowingly exciting - its a black wooden box with the Skint Dad's penny challenge chart behind it!
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    He giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other - or something along those lines.

Well pleased as I booked some ferry crossings to Ireland and got a reduction of £70. Then suddenly find out that work will now be charging us to park next month - £50 per month :(
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    I haven't updated this for ages - blame life in general. Back on it now and here are the updated figures:

Money owed:

Credit Card £3464
    Overdraft ZERO
    Loan 1 £8,806
    Loan 2 £14,448
    Mortage £9,100

Savings £4,100

So total now owed is £35,818 as opposed to £42,850 earlier in the year. So it is coming down slowly but surely. Having said that the old CC has crept up again.

I have had a bit of a summer of spending but managed to pay off the OD and am determined not to get into that again.

Am still doing the Skint Dad challenge.

DS has gone back to UNI (last weekend) so this weekend will be tidying up the house!

Things I need to do:

Check bank account every day - am doing this
    Declutter - do a little bit each week but need to step it up - not always easy as DH is a hoarder so I have to be careful
    Start meal planning again

This weekend:

Put tent and air beds back into loft

Make tons of soup using veggies for a healthier diet and so I don't have to keep thinking "what's for packed lunches and what's for tea". Hopefully will help us lose a bit of weight as well.

Housework

May go to the cinema to see Girl on the Train if weather is bad.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Look up Super Speed Soup I think it's called - healthy, freezes well and actually tastes nice...

I know it's ages ago, but your anadin extra - you know you're paying for a brand name? :) Honestly look at the ingredients of that and then the own brand versions. You can nearly always find one with exactly the same active ingredients :) And the savings can be significant! Even for flu and cold medications :) think I paid £1.50 for TEsco own night and day 16 caps - Lemsip version £3.50 :eek:!!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    MrsTinks I haven't touched the Anadin Extras for months - I now use supermarket brand paracetamol and then only occasionally. So I am pleased about that as I think I was starting to take them like sweets.
  • MrsPorridge
    Options
    A good weekend. Have batch made loads of soup and it's ready to go into the freezer - enough for two week's worth of lunches for self and DH.

Dinner tonight is sweet jacket potato with some hm chilli I found stuck at the back of the freezer.

Dinner tomorrow will be jacket normal potatoes with beans and cheese. Trying just to use up leftovers this week.

Stuff put away in loft.

we did go to the cinema to see Girl on the Train - slightly expensive as our yearly passes had run out so we had to renew them. Cost £9.95 to renew and as part of that you get a free ticket. Having the passes means we save £2 each time we go to cinema - ticket price then being £4.95 - so we get a night out for 10p under a tenner. We get our monies worth as go at least 3 times a month. It's only a small local cinema and I like to support it as if it closes the nearest one is then 27 miles away (even our "local" one is 12 miles away! But we do go after work to save on the mileage.
  • sunshine__
    Options
    This is fab progress, a great read :-)

Good idea for the soup too, perfect time of year for lovely homemade soup!!
    Getting there.. slowly but surely...
    Debt - Was £14,300, now £6,500..

Keep soldiering on!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills