MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

"Over half a million O2 and BE broadband and home phone customers are now Sky customers, we break down what this means..."
Read the full story:

Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Narc
    Narc Posts: 422 Forumite
    I wonder how long my unthrottled broadband access, my main reason for joining Be, will last....
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    This is going the same way as the big six energy companies. The result higher broadband costs for the future less competition.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Narc wrote: »
    I wonder how long my unthrottled broadband access, my main reason for joining Be, will last....

Sky supposedly do not throttle but are likely to overload the exchange with the same effect !

I took a free 12 month deal from O2 so can afford to see how it pans out if Sky move me onto their own network. It is possible Sky will take over some BE and O2 Dslams, just depends how many O2 Wholesale need to retain .

I am looking forward to a fight when Sky try to con BT line users like myself into taking a Sky Talk line.
  • Are they going to force folk to move to Sky phone line too then, what happens with those contracted to BT or those that just simply don't want to leave BT. I've always been happy with them and the price is right too.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Are they going to force folk to move to Sky phone line too then, what happens with those contracted to BT or those that just simply don't want to leave BT. I've always been happy with them and the price is right too.

They can't force you to leave BT. In this case, all that would change is the broadband service.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    That is my issue , Sky only do broadband combined with phone line. I did ask an adviser who said I had to take the line rental but whether thats right or not. Wasn't particularly impressed that they knew the answer to my question.
    x x x
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Dumyat wrote: »
    That is my issue , Sky only do broadband combined with phone line.

That's not the case. My parents have a BT line and Sky BB - they do however have to pay an extra £5pm for their BB through not taking Sky Talk/Line rental.

New subscribers to BB are put on the full Sky LLU though so phone and BB.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are they going to force folk to move to Sky phone line too then, what happens with those contracted to BT or those that just simply don't want to leave BT. I've always been happy with them and the price is right too.

If you don’t already have a phone service with O2 or BE then you won’t be expected to take Sky’s phone service.

http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/
  • Peterjones
    Peterjones Posts: 62 Forumite
    Can you deffo leave for free then?
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I left for free, i was on the free 12 months bb they did offer to try and keep us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure