PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Left over pickled onion vinegar

Options

Comments

• Handbag59
    Handbag59 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Put it on your chips! it was always a special treat for us when we were kids (simpler times)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I'm another pickled onion vinegar fan. Although it seems a waste of good vinegar, which I'd much rather have on chips, could it be used in the washing machine like the malt vinegar that I already use? (Only in dire emergency of course... ;))
    Love pickles, beetroot and chips as a real treat!

Can't see why you couldn't use it in your washing machine, so long as it's strained of any bits of onion....only in a dire emergency mind you, it's too good to waste in the washing machine. :rotfl:

I often use the cheapest grape vinegar (which is a bit lighter in colour than brown malt) for cleaning and in the washing machine and dish washer, if I can't get my hands on the plastic containers of white malt. When I do see the latter, I usually buy two or three, and at the moment have a good stock in. Realise that this info is useless for most of you living in the UK, but for anyone living out with and can't get their hands on malt, it's worth knowing, as it works well.
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Easy resuse is pickled eggs. We are trying to get through a jar of onions so it's ready for the eggs

:j:j Hi Suki :wave::wave:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :j:j Hi Suki :wave::wave:

Mila :D

Did you miss me :D
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. We have tons of eggs at the mo as we are hen sitting 6 next door as well as our 3 so I will do some pickled eggs in the vinegar next week when the eggs arent so fresh as they are terrible to peel.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My FIL uses pickled onion vinegar when making salad dressing. Always tastes lively but never quite the same when we try it at home :o
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote: »
    Can't see why you couldn't use it in your washing machine, so long as it's strained of any bits of onion....only in a dire emergency mind you, it's too good to waste in the washing machine. :rotfl:

I often use the cheapest grape vinegar (which is a bit lighter in colour than brown malt) for cleaning and in the washing machine and dish washer, if I can't get my hands on the plastic containers of white malt. When I do see the latter, I usually buy two or three, and at the moment have a good stock in. Realise that this info is useless for most of you living in the UK, but for anyone living out with and can't get their hands on malt, it's worth knowing, as it works well.
    Thanks Anne Marie, I always use malt but didn't want to smell like pickled onions if I did have to use it in an emergency. Although I can think of worse things to smell of...;) Handy to know that other types would be ok :T
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • suki1964
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. We have tons of eggs at the mo as we are hen sitting 6 next door as well as our 3 so I will do some pickled eggs in the vinegar next week when the eggs arent so fresh as they are terrible to peel.

It's fresh eggs that are a bummer to peel. Try some baking powder in the water or steam them

I find letting the eggs crack just slightly ( hairline ) they peel easily enough
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    why do you put vinegar in the washing machine?
  • suki1964
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    why do you put vinegar in the washing machine?

Instead of conditioner. Cheaper and works better at getting the soap out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport