PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    OMG! The SHTF, you have tons of washing up to do and can't find the sink plug, don't have a w/up bowl and have tons of stuff to soak, try this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/189643834279442846/

;)

Not really a SHTF in the general scheme of things but hey, it may come in handy some time.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Blimey!

I guess that can't be much larger than a prison cell (not that I have ever seen one thank god but have watched Porridge a few times, oh, and Within These Walls (loved Googie Withers, showing my age now). ;)

Just found this which is quite interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtJ4FMA87Xs&feature=player_embedded#!

:D

wow that's great! and i bet they could modify them so they could be joined together if you want a few people to live in the same space, you could lose the extra toilet and shower on one cube, make the kitchen bigger on that end maybe some storage and then the downstairs could have more space and storage and then you could have two sleeping platforms. with two cubes joined i could see my daughter and i living in there but i think i'd def have to get a tablet or laptop vs my desktop computer :p
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Confuzzled wrote: »
    wow that's great! and i bet they could modify them so they could be joined together if you want a few people to live in the same space, you could lose the extra toilet and shower on one cube, make the kitchen bigger on that end maybe some storage and then the downstairs could have more space and storage and then you could have two sleeping platforms. with two cubes joined i could see my daughter and i living in there but i think i'd def have to get a tablet or laptop vs my desktop computer :p

Looks like a bit too much dusting area for me! :D
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If anyone has a head torch (not got one myself yet so can't try this), give this a try and let us all know how good/bad it is:

http://pinterest.com/pin/189643834279443779/

;)
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Via a pinterest mailing:

http://backwoodshome.com/articles/tate55.html

gives a sensible summary of mistakes to avoid when stocking up on quantities of food.
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Broomstick wrote: »
    Via a pinterest mailing:

http://backwoodshome.com/articles/tate55.html

gives a sensible summary of mistakes to avoid when stocking up on quantities of food.

Regarding the MRE's (meals ready to eat), which I know are normally in myler bags and unfrozen but you could still make up emergency frozen food. Ideal for those who have to fend for themselves if their other half is going into hospital etc.

Lidl sell freezer bags that can be used to cook food in, up to to 115 degrees centigrade. So, I imagine these would be ideal for making up meals, freezing and then boiling in the bag.

They are 3 litre bags measuring 25cm x 32cm so hold quite a lot and are about £1.49 for a roll of 75, called Aromata, in a box with pics of fruit on it.

;)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dronid wrote: »
    I will say this thread is proving invaluable to me as my sister has just moved into a van in a friends woodland. It's an ex-army ambulance which she's converting into living space. Of course that means that she's in rather reduced circumstances and we're going to have to look at various alternatives, efficient solar lighting for winter - gas fridge and cooker - wood burning stove - insulation etc. But good for her.
    Sounds fascinating- keep us posted!
    I used to fancy living on a barge and by all accounts you often get some good community spirit where there are a few moorings. Depending on the type of boat, it could be useful too, in these times, having a moveable home ;). But I think I would miss a garden. Plus I've been put off by the sight of people's homes frozen in a lake of ice during previous winters :(. And I've been warned about the incidence of theft if you are moored close to a centre :(.
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    So do you have to stick to gluten free? I tend to have a reaction to bread but it may just be a wheat intolerance.
    So I'm currently experimenting with spelt flour
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/262259-nutrition-of-spelt-flour-vs-wheat-flour/
    And with einkorn flour
    http://www.einkorn.com/is-einkorn-flour-gluten-free/

All of which costs an arm and a leg of course! :eek:

Yes, unfortunately I have Celiac disease and I am very sensitive to gluten so can't have oats and barley and other grains. I am truly allergic to soya and wheat and have had anaphalactic shock twice (never want that again!).

I daren't risk trying Einkorn or spelt as they are old types of wheat and I react worst to wheat ( can't breathe properly, get a pain like angina in my chest/between shoulder blades, blood pressure drops etc). I have reacted badly to just two crisps in a pub and to a single piece of sugar free gum. I do not risk anything sugar free these days.

If I get gluten from another grain (for instance barley or oats) then I will start to itch all over and get a really upset tummy for about a week after having it. It makes me feel really drained and tired.

I am usually okay with Dove's farm flour and a new Greek one they have just brought out which makes the best Yorkshire puddings I have ever made. They are expensive but since I only eat baked things as a rare treat I don't mind paying the bit extra. There are no 'free from' foods available here in Greece and the gluten free bread from the chemist is the shape and weight of a wall brick at 6.50 euros each! I make my own but a loaf lasts me weeks in slices in the freezer.

I have got used to having to check every processed /externally cooked thing I eat or drink. It can be unnerving if I got out to eat at a place I haven't been before but I have stopped worrying about them thinking I am just a difficult customer. I carry a special card which explains the problem in different languages to show them so there can be no misunderstanding.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me but Christmas and New Year are hard going when I can't sit and share what everyone else is having at parties. Sometimes I would give anything to partake in a nice normal pork pie or crumpet laden with butter.....

But I am making my own mince pies, gluten free sausage rolls and pizza next week so I can take them with me to parties:rotfl:
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    Yes I have been looking into the Approved foods and other discounted ''close to sell by'' food sites. They now deliver to Greece at a reasonable rate so I will be ordering some in the New Year. My husband will be overjoyed to get loads of cuppa soups from there...they are nearly 3.50 euros a pack of 3/4 here! Horlicks is his favourite but at 9 euros a tub here its not going to happen....

We are still waiting to see what the weather does before we decide to go away for Christmas or not. At the moment Northern Greece has heavy snow and arctic temperatures so its on hold till it improves. Meanwhile we have decided to buy the Christmas food for the freezer and if we go away we will have it for the week after and New Year. We got two nice pheasants today so will look forward to eating them, they are our favourite game meat besides wild boar. If we go away I will be bringing some wild boar meat home with me for the freezer.

We have four days of horrible storms forecast from tonight so may be missing off the internet if the signal goes. Hopefully it will warm up as well. Going out for a Christmas meal with friends on Sunday so looking forward to that then out again on Wednesday evening to a recital of the Magic Flute and a buffet and Christmas evening afterwards.

Had some good news today, a group of our friends are getting together after the New Year and forming a target shooting group with air rifles and air pistols and we have been invited to take part. Another hobby to keep us occupied during the winter months and as we are all good friends already, good company is guaranteed. Two of the people have already offered their private land for the meet ups, so that is great....way up on the mountain with loads of fresh air and hopefully some sun shine!

Have a lovely weekend everyone xxxxx
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Sounds fascinating- keep us posted!
    I used to fancy living on a barge and by all accounts you often get some good community spirit where there are a few moorings. Depending on the type of boat, it could be useful too, in these times, having a moveable home ;). But I think I would miss a garden. Plus I've been put off by the sight of people's homes frozen in a lake of ice during previous winters :(. And I've been warned about the incidence of theft if you are moored close to a centre :(.

We used to have a boat on the canal near to Newark. It was my OH's idea of heaven and my idea of hell. The propeller got fouled every few yards and one of us had to go in the water to free it......it was the best day of my life when someone stole the engine and we swapped the boat for a car......:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure