PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tillymint wrote:
    Can anyone help with a recipe for a "Soreen" type malt loaf to make in a breadmaker? I tried one today but it's turned out more like a fruit loaf than a nice dark sticky malt loaf.

I also had the same result a day or two ago, fully expected the dark malt loaf that you get in the shops and like you got fruit loaf. Did wonder whether i should just put more treacle in it ??
  • tillymint
    tillymint Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I used the recipe from here

http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/recipe_malt_loaf.html

It only asked for 1 Tablespoon of malt extract and one of treacle

Delia has a recipe and that uses 4 tablespoons of malt and 2 of black treacle

I might just adapt, only problem is it takes 3 hours so it's a while before I know if it's wrong or not.

Might end up with lots of fruit loaves in the freezer. LOL
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I've not been totally happy with the basic white loaf even after changing butter and flour brands. It just had a funny lingering sort of taste. Yesterday though, I made some dough, and decided to make a plait loaf and it's turned out absolutely gorgeous. Don't really understand why cooking it in my oven rather than the breadmaker would make such a difference, :confused: but it's easier to cut too for some reason.
  • likabu_2
    likabu_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    My breadmaker arrived yesterday so I thought I'd try out the basic white loaf.

Was cooking dinner as it started to bake - is it normal for the bread to rise so it touches the viewing window (2lb loaf) and then deflate about a cm down again? I'm positive I measured all the ingredients out properly, there again with the children in the same room I can never be sure about anything!!

Lisa

Ps tasted lovely and the texture was good too.
    Brassic!
  • megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    likabu wrote:
    My breadmaker arrived yesterday so I thought I'd try out the basic white loaf.
    Was cooking dinner as it started to bake - is it normal for the bread to rise so it touches the viewing window (2lb loaf) and then deflate about a cm down again? I'm positive I measured all the ingredients out properly, there again with the children in the same room I can never be sure about anything!!

Lisa

Ps tasted lovely and the texture was good too.

Hi Lisa, glad to hear that your first loaf was a success. Don't worry about it rising more than usual - I bet it was simply due to the room temperature and hot weather. If the weather is hotter than usual then your loaf will rise more, in Winter the opposite will usually happen. Should tell you something about this in your manual.

HTH

Mega
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine gets close to the window but doesn't normally touch and yes, every loaf I've ever made has sunk back a little. Still nice and light though :)

It depends quite a bit on the ambient temperature of the room you're in sometimes as to just how high the dough will rise. (Sez my instruction book)

Edit: I can see that I'm typing far too slowly these days!! :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone went into Morrison today and noticed that if you buy Hovis bread flour all varieties you get the free Hovis yeast (75p)!:D
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made my first loaf with potato water over the weekend and I also swapped some of the flour for ready brek.

It tastes delicious! Seriously yummy :)

(I wasn't sure how much it would rise so I didn't give the bread the normal extra time I give breads with some non-strong flour in, so it didn't rise fully. Even so, it's nice, and I now know for next time that I can give it the full cycle)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    I got my breadmaker from lidl last year I think it's fab but I don't think it makes jam.I made a white loaf from the recipe on the back of the hovis yeat pack and then made another loaf but this time added to it honey and cinammon it's really good!
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a "Breville BR8L Anthony Worrell Thompson Breadmaker" online for £59.99 http://www.carncomarketing.co.uk/index.php/fuseaction/shop.product/categoryid/12/productid/25

BTW I have no association with this site but I have just ordered one so I will let yous know if I receive it, if yous want! Hope this helps someone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure