Box of Jewellery

Options
Hi

We have an old ice cream container upstairs of my late MIL's jewellery. It doesn't hold any sentimental value to my OH and we wonder if it has any monetary value.

Some of the items were bought for her by her husband when he visited far flung places around the world so they may be more than 9k gold but unstamped.

We've no idea what to do with it, we don't really want to go to a cash for gold place but what other options are there, thank you.

Ms Choc x

ETA: It came to us in an ice cream container, that's what MIL stored it in. We are not being disrespectful, just wanted to let you know.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are there no hallmarks on any of it?
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are there no hallmarks on any of it?

There may be some hallmarks on some of the items; I will need to check. I've not had a look at it for a few years.
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    I've just been to look, there's a few things with hallmarks on them but, even with a magnifying glass, I've no idea what but one looked like it had an AJ mark on it.

There's a few bags/ring boxes from Singapore and a bangle box with details of a jeweller in Aden, I'm aware FIL did visit there in the early 60s with work. There looks to be a fancy pair of drop earrings which could have a dark pearl hanging from them, but I've no idea at all.

Other than what's in the ring and bangle box, there's a thick layer of items at the bottom of the box that could be anything including costume jewellery.

I've no idea what to do with it.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well step one take it to a jewellers

They'll certainly tell you if anything has significant value and many sell items on commission.
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    or you could try your local auction house if you have one
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • SavingPennies_2
    Options
    Don’t sell it to a cash 4 gold place, try a reputable local jeweller or pawn shop. They may still give you “scrap” value if it’s not particularly resaleable, but foreign gold is usually high carat and the jewellers will be able to identify the foreign hall marks.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    If they're not hallmarked the auction house will only be able to list them as 'yellow metal' with a consequent reduction in value.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    If they're not hallmarked the auction house will only be able to list them as 'yellow metal' with a consequent reduction in value.

They can test and then mark as "tests as gold". Lots of Victorian jewellery isn't hallmarked either.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    So is it better to go to a jeweller rather than an auction house.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, and try to go to a small, private jeweller rather than a chain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure